Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benzalkonium chloride induces anterior chamber inflammation

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22489894

Acta Ophthalmol. 2012 Apr 10. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-3768.2011.02338.x. [Epub ahead of print]

Benzalkonium chloride induces anterior chamber inflammation in previously untreated patients with ocular hypertension as measured by flare meter: a randomized clinical trial.

Stevens AM, Kestelyn PA, De Bacquer D, Kestelyn PG.
    Source
    Department of Ophthalmology, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium Department of Public Health, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium.

Abstract

Purpose:

The deleterious effects of benzalkonium chloride (BAK) on the ocular surface are well known. However, few clinical data are available to prove a toxic effect at the level of the anterior chamber. The laser flare meter is a reliable tool to detect low levels of inflammation in the anterior chamber. We wanted to know whether instillation of BAK-preserved timolol in one eye would result in higher laser flare values than the instillation of preservative-free timolol in the fellow eye.

Methods:

Randomized prospective, single-masked clinical trial. Twenty-eight untreated patients with ocular hypertension were recruited. After obtaining baseline flare values, we randomly assigned one eye to BAK-preserved timolol and the fellow eye to preservative-free timolol. After 1 month, flare measurements were repeated.

Results:

There was a significant increase in the flare values in the two treatment regimens, but the increase in the BAK-treated eyes was higher than in the preservative-free treated eyes, and this difference in increase was statistically significant.

Conclusion:

This is the first study to show that short-term BAK administration produces inflammation in the anterior segment of previously untreated patients whose blood-aqueous barrier was not affected by recent intraocular surgery.

Phew. Nice find as always Scout. Yet more evidence for why we need alternatives to BAK.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

My first opth only ever gave me a BAK eye drop when i turned up at her clinic with red raw eyes and lids...., wonder who helped her buy her degree!

Comment

In your first ophth's defense Jenn1, almost all Rx eyedrops (with the exception of the newest glaucoma meds) contain BAK, so it's not as though it violates standard practice... On the other hand if she gave you a BAK-preserved OTC drop I leave her to the mercy of any and all caustic comments!
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
          In your first ophth's defense Jenn1, almost all Rx eyedrops (with the exception of the newest glaucoma meds) contain BAK, so it's not as though it violates standard practice... On the other hand if she gave you a BAK-preserved OTC drop I leave her to the mercy of any and all caustic comments!
          ^Yup! And when my eyes werent healing well she had the nerve to discharge me!

Comment

Wow!!! That is a really interesting post about BAK. It really makes me wonder if this is really the reason I had anterior inflammation after cataract surgery. I was put on several pressure drops and all of them had BAK in them until I demanded to be switched to Timoptic in Occudose (preservative free Timinol). The docs thought I had an infection behind the lens because of the inflammation...all the drops they give you after the surgery have BAK in them too.

Comment

abbygirl, add this to the recent BAK 'vicious cycle' study of effects on the corneal surface and the sum total looks even worse. I suspect there are a lot of people affected by this stuff who never learn that's what happened.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
              X