Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connection between dry eye and bad eyesight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connection between dry eye and bad eyesight?

I just wondering what the connection is between people who have bad eyesight (myopia) and dry eye. I know there is one. The majority of people who have dry eye from this board, wear glasses, contacts etc. Or am i wrong? Is the connection contact lense wear? like wearing contacts for too long, or not cleaning them properly or just wearing them.

Obviously there are other factors combinded why people get dry eye like auto immune dieases. But im sure there is a conection with myopia..

I started thinking back to what could have started this dry eye process off in the first place, when i was younger. The only thing i can remember is becomming more and more contact lense intolerant, i started off wearing them quite alot, then it was less coz they bothered me abit, then less, then couldnt wear them at all. this was from about 15 till 20 during this time the total time of contact wear i had was not much, coz they bothered me, so most of the time i wore glasses. At the start i cant remember but i may have worn them abit to long.

Has anyone else had this kind of experiance?
    I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Originally posted by sazy123
    The only thing i can remember is becomming more and more contact lense intolerant, i started off wearing them quite alot, then it was less coz they bothered me abit, then less, then couldnt wear them at all.
    I used to wear contact lens a few years ago but gave up after finding them increasingly uncomfortable. Nowdays I think that the problem I had with contacts just indicated that I had a mild dry eye problem, as to whether the contacts caused the dryness I'm not sure.

Comment

I believe I read somewhere that contacts do not cause dry eye, but do make the symptoms of dry eye worse because they absorb the fluid from the eye surface. Finding contact lens wear uncomfortable may be one of the first signs of dry eye. I have not read anything about any connection between refractive errors and dry eye, unless it is in post-lasik patients. You might do a search to find what percentage of people have refractive errors. I would guess it is greater than the percentage of people with DES.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

You might do a search to find what percentage of people have refractive errors. I would guess it is greater than the percentage of people with DES.
        Yes this is true that most people will be fine, but its not the % of people who have have refractive errors but dont have dry eye that im wondering about, its the % of people who do have dry eye and have refractive errors, in particular 'myopia'.

I Havent read anything about it either but its abit too much of a coincedence isnt it. I do know lasek would count for a small percentage of those for sure. If some peoples eyes are naturaly dryer for whatever reason, I.e they have immune problems, enviromental irritants or whatever. Then the fact that those people wear contacts might be the connection if the contacts are worsening the dry eye then the combination of the contacts with other things (i.e natuaraly dryer eyes due female hormones) could start the process off. I have read that dry eye can be caused or worsened when people wear contacts by rubing their eyes with the contacts in and this starts a vicous cycle, becuase as the eyes become dryer the more you may rub them. Cant remember where i read it now. I do remember rubbing my eyes abit with contacts in..

So it i could be that contacts are worsen already vulnrable eyes and then later on in life other things like medication worsen the problem in to something moderate or severe. and thats the connection. just a theory..

I know many people have dry eye and didnt wear contacts, just saying that the connection between refractive errors and dry eye is quite interesting coz there does seem to be one IMO.
        Last edited by sazy123; 31-Jul-2006, 08:05.
        I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Severely shortsighted...

I don't know if they're connected but my eyesight has been deteriorating ever since I got dry eye. My opth says I've got Keratoconus (spelling).

Comment

I've asked my eye doctor this same question and he actually told me, yes there can be a connection, if not to dry eye then atleast to eye inflammation. he said that as your eyes get more and more near sighted, the shape of your eye curves, and can cause more friction with the eyelids, even if the change in the curvature is EXTREMELY miniscule. I thought that was pretty interesting.

my dry eye problems have to be partly related to bad eyesight. I just went to the eye doctor to get my eyesight checked a couple weeks ago, and even though I no longer wear contacts he still gave me a new contact perscription. I'm now -9.5 in my right eye and -8.25 in my left. This would be bad even if I was about forty years old, but it is horrible considering I'm only 19!!!!!!
            -Amy

Comment

im about -5, and yeah that could be a possiblity..

Comment

Wish mine were so close

I have a -9 in my left and a -3 in my right, my dry eye is worse in my left eye, always has been right from the start.

Comment

Hi,
                  ocular surface "irregularities", such as astigmatism, especially irregular astigmatism - including the case of scar, Keratoconus (a particularly irregular surface... basically a bit like a cone but not always) or keratoglobus, are well-known causes of dry eye... or at least they favour dry spots.
                  basically what you need to know is that a "good curve" is imperative to ensure a good distribution of the tear film...
                  Abbey, people who have keratoconus frequently dry eye issues (it's not my case but I'm in contact with many for them wearing slcerals for both indications and a keratoconus association).
                  take care
                  K

Comment

[QUOTE]my dry eye problems have to be partly related to bad eyesight. I just went to the eye doctor to get my eyesight checked a couple weeks ago, and even though I no longer wear contacts he still gave me a new contact perscription. I'm now -9.5 in my right eye and -8.25 in my left. This would be bad even if I was [quote/]

Amy, I have not been following your case, but I want to comment on your prescription. I had approximately the very same prescriptiion from the time I was 18 years old (100 years ago) until I had lasik in my 50's. You mentioned this RX would be "bad enough if you were in your 40's." If you follow the typical myope, you are done physically growing and probably won't have any more changes as far as progressing myopia. I am not an expert, just someone who started out with your very same amount of "blindness." I never wore contacts although I tried only twice in my whole life before lasik.

Lasik was a disaster for me for many reasons. You are much younger and there is a whole different set of circumstances. Since you are having dryness, please just make sure you have a handle on that before doing anything permanent.

This is a note to my friend goober who does nothing but read boards:
                    I did not tell Amy not to have refractive surgery, just that she needs to be aware of her high risk situation--and with dry eyes--be careful. Also her myopia will likely NOT continue to progress. Others, please ignore this remark.
                    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Don't worry lucy, after coming to this site w/ dry eye problems for more than a year, and reading everyone's experiences with dry eye due to lasik, I'm NEVER having laser surgery to correct my vision! I'd rather have crappy eyesight than extra dry eye problems anyday!!!
                      -Amy

Comment

Working...
                      X