Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mydriasis..! Anybody here know about or have this eye problem...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mydriasis..! Anybody here know about or have this eye problem...?

I had my dry eye examination yesterday and I was told I have got enlarged pupils. This is why I'm so sensitive to bright light and sunny days.. The medical name for this is Mydriasis, or otherwise called blown pupils..

I'm now trying to find other members that may have this problem, or know a little about this..? I wear my rap sunglasses all the time and even indoors, as the light is so bright and painful.. I'm also interested in the best lenses to correct and cope as my sunglasses are only polaroids.. How do you cope with outdoors on sunny days or even the glare off buildings with large glass windows..? Even in the bathroom with all the bright glare is difficult to see, so was told to wear swim goggles while having a shower...

Thanks for your help and support as any advice is much appreciated. Mike

Stay away from any anticholonergics or anything with anticholonergic effects. That causes mydriasis.

Comment

Thanks for your information, much appreciated..

Mike

Comment

Any idea of a good set of dark lenses in moisture chamber goggles for Mydriasis please...?

I was told the lower the % of light the darker the lenses are.. Was also told that a silver grey, or mirror lenses would be be best, so not to attract too much sun and heat for my DES..

I'm wearing my polaroid prescription sunglasses for indoors and seemed to copy well, but just need to have low light with TV and a black computer screen with lime green text, to cut down light and glare... Sill can't drive yet as too much light, even wearing my polaroids..

Thanks for your help and support, much appreciated - Mike

Comment

This might help - I have actually bought the darkest lenses possible and then had the optician re-tint them to try to make them darker.

FYI I'm not sure if the optician laughed the whole time at how ridiculous the request was, but he did it (that would be my brother!).

Also, FYI, on Wiley X's website, they list the stats for their lenses (e.g., light transmission, polarized). See http://www.wileyx.com/technology/tec...y=LENS_ANATOMY

Maybe other companies do too (so you can compare).

Comment

Oh, thank you so much for this link spmcc..

I really didn't know much on what lenses would work well for our very bright sunlight here in NZ.. I had absolutely no idea I had Mydriasis until I was told at my dry eye examination, but I knew there was something wrong as the bright light was quite painful..

I've found a contact here in NZ that sells WileyX eyewear and also make-up prescription lenses.. So I now can send them my prescriptions for a pair of WileyX goggles I like the look of - very similar to the WileyX blink.. It's so difficult to go outdoors with only my old polaroids as they aren't dark enough now..

I'm wrapped you sent me this link and I'm so grateful spmcc..
            Take care,
            Mike from New Zealand

Comment

You are so welcome, Mike. I'm wrapped that you're wrapped (heehee - I don't know what that means!).

I hope you find the best thing that works.
              All the best,
              Sheila

Comment

I'm sorry, us kiwi's have some strange sayings.. Wrapped means "over joyed"..

I sent off an email yesterday to the WileyX agent here in NZ and asked for a quote to get the Silver Flash lenes made for the the WileyX goggles I'd like for outdoors and especially driving in bright sunny days, as I find the glare off the windscreen very painful...

This website is so full of surprises and so many wonderful people, it's so hard to believe..?

Thanks again for your help and support Sheila - Mike

Comment

Hi Mike: It's farmgirl again. Not sure if you already ordered your glasses but what I have recently found out is that the Wiley frames (the blink at least) are safety frames and they need to use special 'safety lenses'. These are thick and because of the curve of the wileys it is difficult to make an accurate prescription with such thick glass. I asked my optometrist if they could use the regular thinner glass to make the prescription more accurate and she said not they couldn't because the law demands that if it is a safety frame, they use a safety glass. She showed me a little mark on the upper outside corner of the glass that indicated it was safety glass.

To that end I spoke with the company in the US who made my others and he says that they are getting a machine of their own and will not longer have to send them out to be made and that they could use 2 mm (thinner) glass.

My next move is to talk to the lab here in Canada personally and find out exactly what the rules in Canada are and then start lobbying the government to allow the opths to make exceptions for medically necessary cases. Can you let me know what the situation in NZ is regarding this issue....thanks Mike and I hope you are doing well..F/G

Comment

Hi F/G,

It's good to hear from you.. That's a bummer having to use safety glass lenses as over here they are Motor Cycle glasses.. I'm hoping to hear back from them soon as I've asked for a quote before they make mine up.. I emailed them my latest prescriptions and I've asked for Silver Flash lenses as they only have 7 to 10% light transmission in the polarised lens..

Anyway, I'm getting a pair of WileyX Motor Cycle Goggles, so there is no way these can be classified as safety glasses as they have an elastic headband F/G.! Have you tried any motor cycle shops to see if they stock WileyX as over here they are just an accessory for Hoggers..

I'm still waiting for my punctal plugs to arrive as they must be shipping them here on the back of a very slow fish.. They were ordered six weeks ago and I'm not that happy with my Optometrist as my dry eye test was back on April 30th.. I might need to drop-in this week and see what's happening as I may try another Optometrist if they don't pull their finger out..

Got to go F/G as my night carer has just come in the door..
                    Talk more soon,
                    Mike

Comment

Hey Mike:

Now that you mention it sure they are used for motorcycles here also, but maybe they need safety glass in case you take a rock in the eye. Titanium lenses maybe.

I can't believe you are waiting for plugs. Anytime I have had plugs placed he just opens a drawer and whip, whip they are in, takes about 2 seconds per eye. I am going to have mine cauterized. I go back on Monday to see him and make the appointment so by the end of July I should have that done. It did help a lot to have both uppers and lowers plugged. Uppers alone did not do it, lowers alone did not do it but both together has been the best they have felt in a long time so permanent it is going to be.

I have also found that the autologous eye serum has helped me a lot. My last appointment my corneas were like perfect and yet my tear production was abysmal, yet I feel better than I have for a long time.

Hope all is well with you and that you get some improvements with the Wiley's and plugs...stay well....cheers...F/G

Comment

Hi F/G,

WoW, having all four punctal drains cauterised is truly permanent indeed but if the upper and lower plugs helped, I suppose having them cauterised must be more comfortable on the eyes themselves. I'm still puzzled with the safety glass in the Wiley X glasses, as mine will just have Wiley X silver flash prescription lenses, and as far as I know the lenses are made from a toughened plastic, as are my ordinary sunnies..

I went to the motorcycle shop here in town just to see how the Wiley X look and it was there I found they can be fitted with ordinary prescription sunglass lenses...
                        I know some work places do require safety lenses as like the safety glasses you are looking at, but even ordinary motorcycle goggles and glasses are all toughened plastic here...?

Yeah, waiting all this time I possibly could have purchased the punctal plugs from the dry eye talk shop and had them posted to me here... Then all I need is someone with a bit of eye knowledge, and a steady hand and they would be all in by now.. I've told the Optometrist that I'm not that pleased with their service, so when they are finally inserted I'll ask for my file and that's the last they will see from me..!

Some of our medical professionals believe they can ask and charge anything they feel is appropriate, as they think they can actually walk on water now..!
                        We have a new Optometrist shop just started here in town and they are a walk-in and walk-out, with new eyewear within an hour, and they have upset most of the older Optometrists in town.. My guess is I'll take my eye care to them now and see how good they really are..?

It's now just gone 6:15pm and the night air is getting really cold, so I'll close for now and go and snuggle up with Wilma in the lounge as we have the burner on down there..
                        Take care F/G and until we talk again, may the sun always shine behind you ~ Mike

Comment

Dunno Mike, that's what they told me???go figure...lots of people need Wiley type glasses like you observed. Good luck with the new Optometrists. Keep the warm and the sun is definitely shining right now, I am in Panama

Comment

Working...
                          X