Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canaliculitis from Smartplugs? Anyone else? Dr.'s in Los Angeles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canaliculitis from Smartplugs? Anyone else? Dr.'s in Los Angeles?

Hello, new here. Long story, same as many of you. Years of battling this. Years of various plugs that worked to some degree. Now, terrible infection in both tear ducts of one eye, where Dr. G in Santa Monica put Smartplugs (only in one eye, to see what happened). Both Smartplugs are missing, and seem to jammed down in the duct. Surgery coming soon by Dr. Dresner, an oculoplastist (sp?). Anyone else? Any class action suits against the maker of the Smartplug- Merridium, Inc I think it is? Any experience with Dr. Dresner? Or should I go to Jules Stein and see Dr. Goldberg? Thanks in advance

This is a problem that was discussed in the Dry Eye Digest: Abstract: Plug Complications. There was also a study done on them with similar results Warning, gross picture!.

So sorry to hear about your troubles, I hope your surgery is a success!
    Disclosure: I work for FCI Ophthalmics

Comment

Anne1232, welcome. Sorry I didn't see your post or I would have replied earlier. I'm moving this thread to the Open Forum. FYI it's best to always make new posts in the open forums rather than in any of the topical archive (which are where we file dormant threads).

There's a long history of canaliculitis from SmartPlugs as you'll see in the blog post. I haven't heard about any lawsuits but it wouldn't surprise me.

Welcome Meghan!
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Rebecca, thanks for being on top of this issue, but

my eye doc here said that the Smartplug was taken off the market in 2007. Should we still report problems to the FDA anyway?

Comment

my eye doc here said that the Smartplug was taken off the market in 2007.
          I'm afraid that's not accurate. They are being sold in the US and so far as I know there has been no interruption to sales since they were launched a little over ten years ago. Can't say for sure about Health Canada status but they were approved there long ago and I see from a quick Google search that they are in current distribution in Canada. - Here's a link to the manufacturer's site.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Oh my goodness, I am so scared now. I have one top duct smartplugged. Anne, I wish you well. Sending prayers your way.

Comment

Exact same problem here. I have the Medennium plug and I have canaliculitis as a result. Surgery coming soon for me too except I can't find a qualified surgeon so far. One wants to stint and/or tube me while the other one wants to do general anesthesia with 3 surgeons present and will only agree to giving him the green light to do whatever is necessary to remove it including a DCR. Must be the reason for 3 surgeons. NO WAY............Would love to hear what happened with yours and what procedure you had done to remove it.

Comment

That absolutely makes me sick to think that there are still these plugs on the market and horrible optometrists, like mine, are putting them into patients that don't know what they have to do to have them removed. I will be the first in line when a lawsuit is filed...............

Comment

Working...
                X