This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make War On Mucus Discharge:

From Bob: I have just spent a couple of hours reading various www-reports on the subject of Eye-Mucus. The following is a random compilation of the various reports found, meaning the following is the composition work of several other people compiled together:

Mucus, the discharge that forms in the corners of your eyes, is often a result of eye irritation. It can also be the symptom of an eye infection commonly known as Conjunctivitis. Conjunctivitis is an infection or inflammation of the membrane that covers the white part of the eye (conjunctiva) and inside of the lids. Symptoms are discomfort, redness and excessive mucus discharge. However, some mucus discharge is normal. Below are several different types of eye mucus discharge and the conditions that could be associated with them. Usually mucus is clear or white and thin, but when we have an infection it can change colour. This is the result of trapped bacteria or due to the body’s response to a bacterial or virus infection.

A green or gray mucus discharge coming from your eyes may be an eye infection caused by bacterial conjunctivitis. This type of eye infection is caused by pus producing bacteria and can cause symptoms such as redness and irritation. Yellow mucus along with a small nodule on your eyelid can be a stye. Eyelid glands sometimes become clogged and infected and leak mucus. You might be tempted to release the trapped mucus by squeezing it like a pimple, but it is generally recommended that you don't because you may wind up with a skin infection.

White or yellow mucus balls in watery tears is a common sign of dacryocystitis, an infection of the nasolacrimal sac or tear drainage system. If you have dacryocystitis, you may complain of facial pain, redness and swelling around the nasal part of the eyelid. You may also notice a discharge coming out of the puncta, a small drainage hole in the eyelid. This condition can become serious if not treated with antibiotics.
    Mucus on your eyelids and eyelashes may be caused by a condition called blepharitis. Blepharitis is caused by a bacteria. The bacteria may infect the eyelids causing redness and inflammation. The eyelids may also thicken and form dandruff-like scales on the lids and eye lashes. Blepharitis commonly causes red, crusty eyelids. If you have blepharitis, your symptoms are probably most noticeable upon awakening in the morning. Most cases of blepharitis are caused by poor eyelid hygiene. Other causes include oily eyelid glands, allergic reactions, bacterial infections, or lice on the eyelashes. Stringy, white mucus may represent allergic conjunctivitis. Eye allergies can make you miserable. A common comment of people with allergic conjunctivitis is "I keep having to pull this white, stringy mucus out of my eye!"

Watery tears mixed with a small amount of mucus can be caused by a virus. Viral conjunctivitis can cause a variety of symptoms such as eyelid swelling, blurred vision, redness and a foreign body sensation. Viral conjunctivitis is often associated with upper respiratory viral illnesses. Inflammation will cause your eye to water excessively. Small, dry particles of mucus found in the corners of your eyes upon wakening is often a sign of dry eyes or dry eye syndrome. Human tears are made of many different ingredients but are largely composed of water, mucus and oil. When the water component is decreased, mucus and oil stick together, dry out and wind up in the corners of your eyes in the morning.

During my web search I found this 2008 post from one of our members which is very informative and intend to try the advice given by Blondee028. I’m not certain what Silica is but will find out. Quote from Blondee028:

I know what you are going thru. Doctor after doctor. Well this past week something happened. All of a sudden my eyes were clear, no slime, at all. Even when I wake up in the morning. Well I started taking these vitamins for the hair, seemed like my eyes cleared up two days later. So I read the ingredients, I notice they had silica in them so did some research and found where it says silica stops the production of excess mucous in your body. So I went to the store and got another bottle of just silica and added that to list of other vits. I have not had any white stringy mucous in my eyes since. First time in 15 yrs. Seems like your body requires this. I am happy its finally gone.

[The original authors of the above information are 8, or more, other person/s, this information is used under the Freedom Of Open Information Act, compiled by O.P]
    Last edited by AprilShowers; 12-May-2012, 00:50.

Thank you Bob for compiling all this research! I too have been wondering what all the different forms of mucus mean. Surely some of our mucus is healthy and we would really like to encourage the healthy mucus and do all that we can to get rid of the unhealthy mucus.

I never thought about mucus much before, certainly not eye mucus. I never realized that the 'sleep' that I would pick out from my eyes in the morning was a mixture of healthy mucus, oil and debris. So now that I don't get this any more, I would love to know how that good mucus can be made more prominent!

There are many people on this site who do not produce adequate mucus, maybe that is because the 'bad' mucus somehow disrupts the production of the 'good' stuff. Who knows, maybe there is something to silica! I tend to suspect that a long term solution would involve a more systemic solution to decrease inflammation in the body.

Comment

Thanks for this. Just wanted to add my 2 cents on this. Among other symptoms I get yellow / white mucus balls forming in the inner corners of my eyes at the end of the day. This is particularly apparent after my regular 10 minute warm compress at the end of the day. It is difficult to nail down sometimes what works and what doesn't. But I am fairly confident that the size / amount of mucus correlates with how gritty my eyes felt that day. The more grittiness, the more mucus. Need to research a bit more on the implications of this and what can be done to reduce the grittiness

Comment

Working...
      X