Perfumes, chemicals, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfumes, chemicals, etc.

Other than air, the thing that effects my eyes the most is fragrances of any kind. Perfume (in anything), candles, air fresheners, cleaning product fumes, etc. It is a major problem at work and just going to the store. I can't find any information relating to this specifically. Does anyone have this problem or have any info on this? It is so debilitating and it is a big issue at work. No one understands and they really don't want to. I have never seen such selfishness and mean spirited people in all my life. Some days I don't think I can go in to work ever again. I would like to have a better understanding of this and maybe solve this problem somehow. I know that is how everyone feels about this dry eye situation and we keep searching and trying anything to make it better. My ophthalmologist said it is the fumes in the air that is doing it and there is nothing I can do about it, but I guess I can't accept that. I also just want some validation that this is really happening to me. People like to act like I am just making this up.

Another aspect of this. I am really sensitive to the smell of these fumes. Some perfumes actually coat my throat and "smother" me. I feel that there must be some connection to this and it affecting my eyes. I went to an allergy doctor and he didn't seem to know anything about it. Kind of brushed me off, of course. But he said the first thing I needed done was to be tested for Sjorgens Syndrome. He did and I don't have it. I have been reading a lot about chemical sensitivity and wonder if that is a component to the whole thing, but it doesn't really connect it to dry eyes. There is no way there is a doctor where I live that is progressive enough to even consider chemical sensitivity.
    Last edited by izzyb; 09-Jun-2012, 06:23.

Hi izzyb,

Allergic reaction, inflammatory reaction, irritation, sensitivity . . . call it whatever you want, but it does exist. And believe me, it is real. It happens to me and in the past, it has been so severe that it has triggered migraine headaches.

Of all the irritants and allergens that cause reactions on the skin and eyes, fragrance mix is number two. So many products add fragrances that it is shocking. Things that don’t even need fragrances add them.

I actually have posted about this many times--several times with my own personal experiences. In my own case, I discovered that the scented lotion I was using from Clinique was the WORST offender for my eye inflammation and I had used it for YEARS! I got so much relief when I stopped using it that I was shocked.

Also, my office complex at work uses automated air freshener in all the bathrooms and the fragrance was causing my eyes to react. I asked them to tone it down and they tried but it apparently wasn’t possible. Luckily, they remodeled the bathrooms and replaced the automatic air fresheners with a different brand and with a different fragrance. It does not bother me as much.

I have also posted many, many research abstracts in the forum for medical research and literature. Go to that forum and do a search using "fragrance" and "allergies" or scroll through the pages. The most recent abstract I posted had to do with fragrance testing for eyelid dermatitis.

The most information you can get about this is in the field of dermatology, not ophthalmology. It affects us on the ocular surface as inflammation the same way it does for people who have skin inflammation from chemicals, allergens and irritants. I have both skin and eye inflammatory reactions.

One thing to remember is that inflammation is cumulative. Meaning that once your ocular surface becomes inflamed, more and more irritants will cause further reactions because the ocular surface is now highly sensitive and inflamed. Things that you may have not been particularly sensitive to in the past now are triggering inflammation due to the extreme sensitivity.

The key is to start reducing the inflammation. You could start by wearing goggles to protect your eyes from irritants.

Then you could start looking around your house to find out if there are any chemicals or substances at home that are triggering the inflammation. I had to eliminate many soaps, laundry detergent, lotions, shampoo, air freshener, hair spray, etc., and replace it with other brands.

Note: Don’t rely on labels that tell you that the product is fragrance or chemical free. They often use other chemicals to mask the fragrance but the chemicals are still there in the product or cosmetic. Do your own experimentation. Also, don’t assume that “natural” products are less irritating. I am highly sensitive to any fragrances in the botanical category, as well as citrus fragrances. [Remember, poison ivy is very natural and can cause extreme reactions in some people]. Also, products do not have to prove that they are “hypoallergenic” because they can claim that their formula is a trade secret and then they are protected from revealing what is in it. [I know, that is just wrong].

Be careful about using eye drops, both prescription and nonprescription. I am sensitive to ALL of them. Do your own experimentation to see if the eye drops may be making things worse rather than better. For me, the initial relief when I applied wetting drops was followed by several hours of burning.

Try regular cold compresses on your eyes to reduce the inflammation.

See a dermatologist to see if you can find out specifically what your eyes are sensitive to. Patch testing for sensitivities, not allergy testing for allergens can give you better information.

I hope this helps.

Scout

Comment

I just read your addendum. Have you been tested for any other autoimmune disorders (other than Sjogren's Syndrome)? If not, you might want to ask your primary care doctor to test you. I have autoimmune thyroid disease and it does contribute to my inflammatory reactions.

Scout

Comment

Hi izzyb:

There is a book out there called Free to Fly by Judith Rajhathy. I recommend you get it and read it and you will clearly understand that you are not a crazy whiner and you will gain some insights as to how to get some control over your problems....cheers...F/G

Comment

Originally posted by izzyb View Post
          I can't find any information relating to this specifically. Does anyone have this problem or have any info on this?

People like to act like I am just making this up.
          You are not making this up. As proof, there are now fragrance-free zones, for example, hospitals, doctor's offices, and many gyms. There is also a movement to make workplaces and restaurants fragrance-free. The latter is full of foodies and wine lovers who want to taste their food and drink and not someone's perfume or aftershave!

I have asthma (as do MANY people - esp children). Avoiding scents and fumes is VERY important.

You can search the term "environmental allergy" for more info.
          Last edited by spmcc; 09-Jun-2012, 13:00.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have eliminated a lot of products in my home. My skin is horribly dry because I can't find a lotion that doesn't bother my eyes even though they say fragrance free. I know that the label doesn't mean anything, but you have to try something. I have bought lotions that seemed okay at first but always started bothering me soon after. I don't have short hair anymore because you have to use a lot of product to get a short do to look good. Gels and pastes are the worst. All I use now is a "fragrance free" hair spray occasionally on my bangs (barely) but it does bother me some. I don't clean my house as often as I used to (it's just me so it's not so bad) because cleaners kill me. Of course, I use the least offensive ones.

After I talked to my manager at work about my problem, the person over operations in the office suddenly decided we should start using the automatic air freshener in the bathroom again. (She doesn't like me - another story.) I don't think that air fresher has ever been used since I started work there (before her), but NOW we need it. Anyway, I spoke up about that and they switched types of freshener that helped some but made me angry because they just WON'T get it. It ALL hurts! But after a while I noticed they are using it anymore. Thank goodness. That was one small concession at work. Enough of that topic. It just makes me so angry when I think of that situation and some people.

I have been looking into some type of eye wear but it seems impossible. I have a very strong progressive prescription with astigmatism. I tried on some WileyX glasses locally but none fit me. Even if they did, my prescription may be too strong and I doubt any of the local yokels around here would even know anything about putting them in those types of frames. I did buy some sunglasses made to go over glasses for sports, etc. They are gigantic and don't fit close enough to my face but they do help with the air flow. I don't think it does much for the fragrances though. Those micro particles are going to be hard to avoid.

I was wondering if there was a "cure" for my eyes by doing something about my fragrance sensitivity. I have no idea what exactly, but I was hoping someone else had some insight on this. I don't even know if my eyes are inflamed. The docs I have seen don't seem to be very impressed with all this. Oh, on eye lubricants - the more I used them, the more my eyes hurt. I now only use FreshKote 2 or 3 times a day and it seems to help sometimes. At least, I don't think it makes them worse. It is hard for me to use it at work though because if it gets on my face or the edges of my lids it leave a dried mess that is hard to get off. So I just use it at home and sometimes use Systane at work.

I also don't really know which type of dry eye I have. The doc who did the tests said it was "quality" not "quantity" that was wrong with my tears and explained the windshield analogy to me. So that means the middle layer of my tears is bad and my tears evaporate too quickly, right? But then in a letter he wrote to me regarding my condition to give to my work, he called it a "primary tear deficiency". I have only read about "aquaeous tear deficiency" which means a lack of tears, right? So which is it doc? He also mentioned 5 seconds which I assumed to be my break up time for my tears. At the time I hadn't researched all this and didn't know what things meant or what to ask. So I don't know what he meant by any of that. But he really wants me to use drops. ARGH!

I think people think I'm nuts mostly because they don't see the connection between me having chronic dry eyes and the smell of fragrances bothering me. And I am not going to find anyone in this are that knows or acknowledges anything out of the box.

Thanks again everyone. It is such a help to have someone understand and acknowledge me.

Comment

Thanks for posting. Every time I go into a particular grocery store my eyes get so unbelievably painful midway through. I can't even keep my eyes open they hurt so bad. I know it always happens near the cleaning aisle. Same thing with scented candles, bleach (that's a big one), cleaning sprays, etc. I've learned to do most of my cleaning with a dish soap that doesn't bother me (cuts grease and soap scum). I disinfect with hydrogen peroxide or grapefruit seed extract. Wear goggles or let my husband do the occasional bleaching, etc.

Comment

Working...
              X