Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Low Lids Retraction After Eye Lids Plastic Surgery Contribute to MGD ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Low Lids Retraction After Eye Lids Plastic Surgery Contribute to MGD ?

Thank you a lot to all of you!!! I lerned a lot how to manage my dry eyes with a great info on this fourum.!! I believe we need to be more active possibly start a petition proccess to demand more effective medications to stop our sufferining.

Also Could you please let me know. Appreciate immensely.

Can Low Lids Retraction After Eye Lids Plastic Surgery Contribute to MGD ?

Are you aware of any data indicating that ocular surface inflammation (as a result of queous tear deficiency) directly causes MGD? My concern is that lack of tears. i have a low lids retraction ..big opening after eye lids plastic surgery..corneal exposure, contributing to dry eyes that i believe produce inflammation … and in return contribute to MGD. Meibomian gland dysfunction Vladae,

Interesting question. I don't believe this has been studied much*.

But it wouldn't surprise me at all if there were a connection of some kind. I hear from people all the time who have dry eye symptoms for the first time after blepharoplasty - some of them have significant lagophthalmos but others relatively slight and doesn't seem to explain the severity of their symptoms on its own.

I think of blepharoplasty as being like many other things which can trigger a cascade of events that affect the MGs and (if no timely, appropriate intervention) the whole tear system.

*The only possibly relevant studies I found (of course there may be more - I searched on blepharoplasty complications, blepharoplasty and blepharitis, blepharoplasty and meibomian):
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18176227 lists blepharitis as a possible complication of blepharoplasty
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7338010 does not say so in the abstract but its wording was suggestive - might be something in the full study or might be worth contacting the authors if you want to know more.

p.s. I moved this to Patients & Pros in case there happen to be any dr. members who want to chime in.
    Last edited by Rebecca Petris; 01-Jul-2012, 18:54. Reason: p.s.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you so much !!!

Comment

Working...
      X