Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mucus Fishing Syndrome from Australia!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mucus Fishing Syndrome from Australia!!!

Hi Dry Eye members,

I’m a mucus fishing syndrome sufferer from Australia. It started around 2007 with only my left eye affected. In late 2011 the right eye became affected too.

It’s embarrassing because you don’t know when your eyes will start leaking with mucus. It could happen in the middle of a conversation, even if you think you’ve cleaned it out right before. A big yellow blob can form at the centre of my eyes at any moment. It has caused me to avoid eye contact with people. In addition, like some others on here, I also have mucus build up in excess in my throat, nose and ears.

I tried Google for answers and always got conjunctivitis which wasn’t helpful because it wasn’t what I had. I tried ‘excess eye mucus’ a lot of times but never got any relevant information. I went to the doctor and he thought it was conjunctivitis and I tried the medicine he prescribed but it did nothing. I’ve tried a lot of different eye drops at pharmacies but none worked in getting rid of the mucus. A couple did help a bit in relieving the dryness. One time a pharmacist gave me an antihistamine allergy eye drop which helped with the itchiness but not the mucus.

Then in late 2011 I decided to randomly Google ‘stringy eye mucus’ which gave me what I needed. I found some helpful and relevant information from people who posted on medical forums about this problem, including this board. I discovered it was called mucus fishing syndrome and the scientific name was filamentary keratitis. I was happy to learn that it was a real disease and that I wasn’t alone in suffering from it.

I’ve read on here that people had success with acetyl cysteine? They said you could find it in Robitussin? It’s cough medicine though so I don’t know if it will have any side effects since I don’t have a cough. Another suggestion was mucomyst and I did a search and they said it was no longer on sale.

I’ve read that medicines that get rid of mucus didn’t just target one area so maybe I could get any that was for general mucus and it would indirectly do my eyes as well.

Anyone have any luck with treating this? No one seems to have a concrete solution that actually worked. I’m willing to try different things but I don’t want to go to the doctors again because they weren’t helpful. I’d rather have some suggestions that have worked on people and then go to the pharmacy to see if they have it for sale. Or online?

It doesn’t have to be a cure but something that will temporarily get rid of the mucus for at least a few hours would be great.

Too bad we aren't snails, then we wouldn't have a problem with excess mucus!

Fishing.

I've used acetyl cysteine for mucous buildup. It burns like the devil, must be kept in the fridge, has an expiration date and had to be ordered from a compounding pharmacy. It does get rid of the mucous, for awhile, and then, presto! More mucous. People are different, and maybe this would be just the thing to help you, but I don't use it anymore. Mucous helps lubricate the surface of the eye, and while it is a big nuisance in one way, it is an uncomfortable necessity in another. Think I also tried taking AC supplements, but did not notice a difference. Everyone is different. Best wishes to you, fishing.

Comment

Thanks for the response, LaDiva. It seems acetyl cysteine is the common treatment for this problem, although not that effective apparently.

Some cough medicines advertise that their products break down mucus in the chest. Has anyone tried any and been successful in getting rid of mucus in their chest/other areas of their bodies?

Anyway, to anyone who is interested, I found this website with people who are suffering from MFS and as I was reading it, I could imagine that I was the one writing all those posts:
      http://en.allexperts.com/q/OCD-Obses...-obsession.htm

I think the cause of my MFS is a combination of allergies and OCD. I think if I was able to cure it, I would be able to avoid touching my eyes again, unless it was still itchy.

Fishing

Comment

Working...
      X