1. Over the counter eye drops
    2. Hot compress
    3. Restasis
    4. PROSE lenses
    5. Oil supplements
    6. Eye scrubs
    7. Goggles
    8. Tear duct plugs

Is there anything else I can do? I seem to be getting worse with age. I am getting depressed about this and so tired of dealing with it. I am trying to read the different posts but having trouble because of eye pain. I usually don't read at all. I am a teacher and the only way I get away with not reading is because I teach Kindergarten (large print books)

It is very hard to deal with and I hope you manage to find something to help.

For myself, I have had a big improvement since my consultant prescribed celluvisc drops to use regularly during the day. I started by putting them in every half hour or so now it is about every two hours. They gradually cut down on the inflammation and swelling so the number of RCEs I get have dropped from three a night to five or so a month.

Hard when you are at work, but when my eyes felt particularly bad I would put in my drops then wear onyx goggles which completely cut out all light and fit closely to keep moisture in. After about half an hour the pain would subside to manageable.

Like you I had almost given up reading but I was given a Kindle at it has brought all the pleasure back. I increase the size of print until I am comfortable, drop it back when I don't need it. The screen is not back lit so it is not like looking at a computer or even the white surface of a normal book.

Dry eye is a really dreadful disease.

R.

Comment

Why not give a chance to a more natural approach?

There are some threads about naturopathy, homeopathy, ayurveda, acupuncture..

Comment

There's always something else to try

I have several things to recommend and I have written separate posts about many of them. So instead of rewriting everything, I will just refer you to my older threads. To find them go to the top right corner of the page and click on "advanced search." In the username box type "willwork4tears". Look for my threads by title and date.

1. You can increase the frequency of Restasis (with your doctor's permission) or have your doctor prescribe a higher concentration of cyclosporin drops (not commercially available, but can be custom compounded.) See the attached article about increasing frequency of Restasis and my thread started on Jan 6, 2010. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4805513/high...yclosporin.pdf

2. Cautery is a more permanent way to close the puncta and is an alternative to punctal plugs. See my thread started on Oct 1, 2010.

3. Coenzyme Q10 is common nutritional supplement that has been shown to increase saliva production in Sjogren's patients that have dry mouth. I have also found that it helps me produce more tears as well. See my thread started on April 6, 2012. In the initial post there is a link to the published journal article discussing CoQ10 and increased salivary flow in SS patients.

4. Some people benefit from topical or oral antibiotics (azithromycin).

5. Lacriserts are a product available by prescription that help lubricate your eye throughout the day. They are a tiny tablet that you put under your lower eyelid and they slowly dissolve and continually lubricate your eye using an ingredient that is found in many OTC eye drops. I have found that they take a very long time to "get used to" and it seems that people either love them or hate them. They are very expensive and are prescription only, but I have found them to be extremely helpful. (My insurance does pay for them, but they are in the highest "tier" and have the highest copay).
        Last edited by willwork4tears; 03-Aug-2012, 11:24.

Comment

There are also serum tears, which promote healing. I think they worked for some people here.

Comment

Working...
          X