This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyes very red in the mornings

I've been on steroid drops (Dexamethasone, 4x day) for one week now. During the day my eyes will improve (from a redness point of view) so much so that they look pretty normal after the second or third drop. Cold compresses also help. They still feel dry, though.

But every morning my eyes are red again, particularly the left eye, which up til now has been the better one. (Note: not nearly as red and inflamed as when I was on the FML drops - as I think that was a BAK reaction).

It feels as though I go back to square one every night.

I am trying to figure out what might be causing this, and why the steroid drops don't seem to be making much of an impact in reducing overall inflammation (yet). My eyes do get very dry overnight, and it takes me a while to open them in the morning. However, I've had that feeling for years - I suppose I thought it was normal - they never used to be red and even now the sensation of dryness quickly goes away once I'm up and have had a shower (it's afternoons and evenings that my eyes are worse in terms of burning/dry).

I have had negative blood tests for allergies to dust mites and feathers. I have tried putting in TheraTears drops during the night (every couple of hours) and it didn't make any difference to the redness/dryness in the morning.

Any suggestions? I am due for a check-up one week from now.

////////////////
    Last edited by hankm9; 06-Sep-2016, 07:34.

Comment

My angry red swollen morning eye was due to an allergy to Gentel Gel I was using for nighttime...Maybe try just a saline solution for a few nights and see if that makes a difference. Also check for mites as hankm9 suggested. Here are a couple of links he posted earlier which are fascinating....Cheers F/G

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2946818/
      http://www.eyeworld.org/article.php?sid=4381

Comment

Thanks. I'm having trouble getting hold of saline solution at the moment but hope to get some next week when I see my GP. I know I have allergies to preservatives but am only using preservative-free drops. I don't use gels as these seem to make my eyes worse!

There is a lot of talk about Demodex from time to time but I'm not aware of anyone on this forum who has been successfully treated for them. So I'm not sure how much this is really a problem - everyone has Demodex don't they?

Comment

//////////////////
          Last edited by hankm9; 06-Sep-2016, 07:34.

Comment

Working...
          X