really confused about my corneal spots and helpless about DES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• really confused about my corneal spots and helpless about DES

I've been dealing with corneal spots after epidemic conjunctivitis for almost a year now.
    My question is:should I continue steroid drops?I have had 3 monthly courses of them during this year and after one month course of steroid drops the corneas healed but the spots came back very quckly just when I stopped taking drops (Lotemax).The doctors told me its because the treatment lasted too short.
    I visitied several doctors.The majority of them claimed I should keep taking steroid drops if they recur.Others claimed it makes no sense because the spots tend to come back and it will last even a couple of years for them to get away.

The doctor claims that my spots are caused by the epidemic keratoconjunctivitis which I had in December.But the situation is much more complicated because I also have dry eye syndrome.The doctors provided me only with unaesthetized Schimmer test which proved I have dry eye (not severely dry though) so I wonder if the spots may actually be caused by the dry eye itself.

I am becoming desperate as I visitied all the best doctors in the country and nobody could tell what was the reason of my dry eye.They suggested taking drops and most of them prescribed steroid drops to get rid of corneal spots.They didnt do any other tests,I don't know if they have them.

What steps can I take to help my dry eye?There are not doctors left to visit in this country.I can only put some tear duct plugs but won't they cause any discomfort?I dont even know if this is the water layer missing so can only try these to test them if they work.
    My eyes are itchy and burn very often.It's not exactly hormonal because I am 25 and even have high androgen levels and acne because of it:/ I am scared I will not be able to work and study,as hard as my career requires,because of this dry eye.

I know you say you have tried almost everything, but here's what I tried:

Punctal plugs. These come in a variety of options, so I suggest you take a look at the dry eye zone home page for more info.
    You haven't mentioned whether you have MGD. Again, read up on that on the home page.
    Drops...assume you have tried many, but I use one with hyalauronic acid, such as Oasis tears.
    Serum tears. Pretty important if you have an issue with osmolarity of the tear film. There is a pretty recent post here on that with some good info.

And, know what your test results are. Did you take the test with the strips in your eyes? Did the doc put a drop with dye in your eyes to determine what the tear breakup time was? The doc should explain your results to you.

Best of luck.

Comment

Working...
    X