is GLA good to take? i can only find old posts..can someone help!! please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is GLA good to take? i can only find old posts..can someone help!! please

i am told different things by dif docs... i have been told GLA could help my sjogrens dry eye but then by a dif doc that it will clog up my meibomian glands.. i have such terrible inflammation and have been on fish oil forever.. (high grade pharmaceutical)..

should i try GLA in the form of Borage oil? like 200mg or so?? any brand to try? or will it compete with the omega 3 in fish oil??
    can someone please offer help!!!
    jenny
    Jenny

I like you think about the same thing Jenny.
    I have recently started taking GLA evening primrose oil in addition to my fish oil. I am wondering if doctors are basing their opinion on "bad" omega 6 as there is a lot out there about all the bad omega 6 in junk food. There is a difference though as I seem to remember several articles on the high amount of "bad" omega 6 consumed in higher doses than omega 3, I think that is where the clue lays really. You are advised to consume omega 6 in lower ration than omega 3 anyway but the omega 6 that is in the oils tends to be beneficial, or that is my understanding of it.
    Lulu x

Comment

Hi..I'm wondering the same thing... ROP

Hi Jenny,
      I don't have Sjogren's but I do have ocular rosacea which, over the past 6 months or so, has worsened dramatically...lids (loss of lashes, styes, severe sensitivity) and internal dryness. I have MGD too.
      I think I have an allergy component as the cleanser I used to use was dc'd and the one I have replaced it with (best of a bad bunch with being super sensitive) has, I think, sensitised my lids and eyes...
      Anyhow, I had been taking flaxseed oil and salmon oil and stopped a while back to see if it helped. It didn't so I have added Flaxseed oil back in, bought some Nordic Naturals fish oil (triglyceride form) and added in EPO although I only added the EPO in three days ago...no improvement or deterioration of current situation so far.
      I know you are confused about gla, as am I but I am thinking of adding in Nature's Way EFA Gold EPO (link)

http://www.iherb.com/product-reviews...1961/?p=2&sr=5

I'm considering this one due to this review for the product from same site (I'll cut and paste it below)

[B]Best ratio of GLA to LA January 11, 2012
      By Reviewer1369916 From New York
      This primrose oil, of all available at the time through Iherb, provided the best ratio of GLA to LA. GLA and LA can compete for the same molecular positions in the chain of transformation to AA only GLA helps form DGLA along this route, which is thought to be anti-inflammatory as opposed to inflammatory.Good to take with a multiple to help conversion to DGLA.

It doesn't actually make much sense to me, Jenny, but it sounds like the person knows what they're talking about so it's worth a shot. Maybe someone else can elaborate. I think I am going to, when I finish the Nordic Naturals fish oil, replace with this:
      http://www.iherb.com/Solgar-Full-Spe...Softgels/23562

...because it also contains astaxanthin and D3.

In light of the review for the EPO, I have bought a multivit and mineral supplement in advance...while I'm waiting for the Nature's Way EPO to arrive.

Thought I'd pass this on... I'm struggling badly right now so if any of the above helps I'll LYK.

Shell

Comment

thank you both.. lulu do u think its helping your mgd?? or too soon to tell?
        Jenny

Comment

Working...
        X