New to the board- several questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the board- several questions!

Hi all! I am new here and so glad to have found a community to get some feedback. I get the feeling, howevere, that my dry eyes are not nearly as bad as most people's here. I'll start with an introduction.

I had LASIK about a 2 and a half years ago. I really have no regrets about getting it and would do it again. I went from legally blind to 20/20 vision. I don't have my issues with other visual problems. However, I had mildly dry eyes before hand, and they have obviously worsened. Initially I thought my flap just needed to heal, however, my problems with itchy, burning, sandpapery eyes have not resolved much. I am currently on Restasis twice daily, use Theratears eye nutrition tablets, and use gel at night.

I have noticed improvements with those techniques, but not enough. I had punctal plugs put in a few days ago. I just had lower ones inserted. My doctor didn't feel uppers would offer substantial benefits and was borderline on whether to even do the plugs to begin with. So far, I've noticed no difference. I also have allergies and use Lastacraft for my eyes for that. I am on Zyrtec and Singulair as well and get allergy shots. My eye doctor feels my symptoms are more related to dry eyes than allergies.

Now for my questions:

1. How long until the punctal plugs help?
    2. Is it normal to have a feeling of something, like a lash, being stuck in your eye when you first have punctal plugs?
    3. Does anyone else have trouble with eye drops burning substantially? I notice it the most with the Lastacraft, also substantially with the lubricant gel at night, and less so with Restasis.
    4. Do dry eyes make allergic eyes worse? Vice versa? I know I have allergies, but I'm unclear on how much of a role they could be playing in my eye symptoms.

Thanks in advance!

Hi

It took about three days for my lower plugs to settle in and start to feel comfortable. It was 5-7 days before I noticed any benefit. They have helped, but have not been a full out cure.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! They seem to feel better already, but not really noticing a difference.

Comment

Your question about antihistamines is important. Allergies lead to prescribed antihistamines...that leads to dry eye.

Comment

Working...
        X