Sun and relief - an explanation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun and relief - an explanation?

Like me, I saw other people ('sunshinelover' comes to my mind) saying on this board that get relief taking "sun bath", with sun on the face etc.

In the first months of my DES it was something instictive for me facing the sun to get relief.

It could be linked to MGD, and the warm of the sun acting like a warm compress.

In my case I don't have MGD diagnosis. My doctor said I have little but enough lipids flowing from my glands.

I was reading some Dr. Perry Rosenthal works and I found what sounds to me like a possible explanation for it.

As Rosenthal says in presentation slides (capslock is not mine):

"15% of corneal nerve terminals have cold thermosensors that are triggered by a dynamic drop in temperature caused by evaporation
    Their activity regulates basal tear secretion.
    THE SENSITIVITY OF TEAR EVAPORATION SENSORS DETERMINES THE MINIMUS THICKNESS OF THE TEAR LAYER REQUIRED TO KEEP THEM IN AN INACTIVE STATE
    THE LOWER THE ACTIVATION THRESHOLD OF THE COLD TRANSDUCERS THE GREATER THEIR SENSITIVITY TO TEAR EVAPORATIO AND THE THICKER
    THE TEAR LAYER MUST BE TO AVOID SYMPTOMS OF DRY EYE-LIKE PAIN

- SENSITIZED COLD NOCICEPTORS REQUIRE A THICKER TEAR LAYER
    TO KEEP THEM SILENT

- CORNEAS WITH SENSITIZED NOCICEPTORS CAN TRIGGER
    SYMPTOMS OF DRY EYE EVEN IN THE PRESENCE OF ADEQUATE
    TEARS

- SENSITIZED CORNEAL NOCICPTORS ARE MORE SENSITIVE TO
    TEAR EVAPORATION, MEIBOMIAN GLAND DYSFUNCTION AND
    UNSTABLE TEAR LAYER
    "

http://optometrysmeeting.org/documen.../2012/3065.pdf

So could it be that the sun warm (and also the warm compress in my case) gives relief by keeping higher the cornea temperature to the point of keeping silent the cold nociceptors?

Some professional could help saying if its make sense.

The observation that small incremental lowering of corneal temperature evokes sensations of discomfort in human subjects supports the notion that increased sensitivity of the cold receptors can account for symptoms of ECH [Evaporative Cornea Hyperalgesia].

That article of Rosenthal and Borsook "The Corneal Pain System" has answers that I didn't find in any other place. I think it address the problems of many of us. I think now I know 80% what is happening to me.
    It can be downloaded:
    http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/attac...0&d=1348104799

Comment

Wow, thanks for posting bakunin. I will read this.

Comment

good looking article, saved to read later...thanks

Comment

It doesnt surprise me, I mean the only thing that could help us is letting our bodies heal ourselves. Nature seems to be the only cure to dry eyes.

Comment

Working...
          X