wrong prescription for sclerals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wrong prescription for sclerals?

Hi everyone, I have had new sclerals for about a week, now. They fit fine and are comfortable, but I have ghosting around objects at just about any distance. Do you think it is the wrong prescription? It is always exactly the same, and has been that way since the first day. I am going back to have them checked, but wondered if anybody else has experience with this? I am just worried this is as good as it's going to get?

Is this your first time with sclerals? Where did you get them done? What diameter are they? When does the ghosting begin, as soon as you put them in?. These are important questions. But you are EXTREMELY lucky to feel comfortable with sclerals for the first week. You must have a very good fitter. You are correct, they could simply be wrong the prescription, but that is an easy problem to fix rather than attempting to fix discomfort problems.

I've had problems with ghosting around objects like you. It's usually the wrong prescription, or it's my worst evaporative eye is causing most of the ghosting, or debris is caught under the vault during the application of the lens.

Comment

It is my first time with Sclerals. I had them done in Sioux Falls at Vance Thompson Vision (Where the Restasis lady works) I don't know what diameter they are. But what makes me think they are wrong is that the ghosting is there at the beginning, and all day long. It is there if they are clean or have been in for hours. It is there if I take them out and clean them and put them back in. It is always the same. So that is what makes me wonder.
      Thanks for you help, DCRdryeye!

Comment

There is a recent thread where ghosting is mentioned and the treatment was to put 'plasma' on the lens, the thread is http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...ormation-and-a

So they may not be using the correct material, shouldn't they already have plasma on them? Honestly, sclerals can be a real pain.

Comment

Thanks so much! On my way to read it! Doctor is changing my prescription in my left eye, and that seem to tone it way down. But if there is something else to do, too I would try it.

Comment

My regular ophthalmologist has left, and a new one had taken his place - damn!! anyway I had to wait THREE weeks as usual to get a modification done and we had to get the NEW Left scleral lens to feel more comfortable AND get a perfect prescription. After travelling 3 hours to the clinic, when they put the a LEFT lens in...distanct vision was blurry. And they reported they had perfected the requested prescription from my last ophthalmologost. So I'm on the same boat as you, can't they get anything right!! and my right scleral although it's got perfect vision it's too tight and hurts.

But the LEFT slceral lens although it does feel more comfortable because they increased the distance of the scleral from the cornea (so more fluid in the vault)...that could be causing the blurring. I wonder "if" they can make the vision perfect whilst it's got more saline in there? But that's what I needed all along, more space between the cornea and scleral lens. Now it feels very fluid and moist whilst wearing it...and that's how it SHOULD feel like...only if we can get the prescription issue fixed, then get the RIGHT scleral fixed. It's a bloody nightmare.

So I'm right in there with your MDK.

Comment

UGH! That sounds so frustrating! I am so sorry you are struggling too! I am glad they are more comfortable with more fluid in them anyway. Everybody seems to agree that the fit is the hardest thing, and the prescription is easy to change around until you get it, I guess.

We are in almost the same boat distance wise too. I live 2 hours aways from the clinic. Not terrible, but not able to just run over there either!

I am kind of surprised mine fit ok, since it sounds like it is very difficult to do, and my left eye is such an odd shape, the doctor took a picture of it to use in a talk!!!!

They are making me a new left lens, too. They changed the prescription because the slightly stronger prescription had the ghosting and when they backed it up a little the ghosting faded quite a bit. It is very slightly less crisp vision, but I guess that's as good as it gets. I might still have to wear cheaters for real close up things. The nice thing is that they are going to mail me the new lens and I just have to mail the old one back. But it took two week to make them, because of the Thanksgiving holiday, so you can imagine how these couple of weeks are going to slow them down!

Hang in there DCRdryeye! You are not the only one! Keep me posted, ok?

Comment

Just a note to say that I got my other lens a couple of days ago. Wore it a couple of times and it seems to have helped the ghosting and double vision some. Still not perfect, but better!

Comment

Good to hear MDK

Comment

Working...
                  X