Mini Scleral Causing Eye Watering Allergic Type Reaction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Scleral Causing Eye Watering Allergic Type Reaction

I recently got Blanchard mini sclerals. They were originally made both for distance when one was suppose to be for reading/computer. I got my wear time up to 5 hrs a couple times, but it was difficult as even with reading glasses, my close vision was not great.

I recently got one replaced for reading/computer. It's much thinner and more flexible than the distance one, I assume from the difference in the prescription. The first time I tried it, it felt OK, but my vision was bad. I assume it will take awhile to get used to monovision. Every time after that when I put them in one of my eyes starts to water excessively and my nose runs, like an allergic reaction. I did not have that problem when I first got them. First the right one did that, now the left one does it and the right one is fine. I've tried wearing just one. I can now wear the right/close vision one without that problem, but every time I put the left one in it starts again.

I've been using PureMoist solution as recommended by my doctor. I've been filling them with Oasis Tears, Tears Naturale or the preservative free saline that comes in a can. I talked to a tech at my doctor's office who said the doctor has recently started recommending using Boston Simplus. I was going to try it until I read about it - says NOT to use with soft lenses. I thought I was only suppose to use solution that was for soft lenses. Now I'm confused and can't call them back till next week.

What solutions do scleral wearers use that are the least likely to cause irritation? I'm frustrated as I can't get used to the vision issue if I can't wear them for more than a very short time.

I use Celluvisc and Unisol in my Blanchard Lenses and now trying non-buffered saline with Celluvisc.

If you have any issues with preservatives or anti-microbials, I'd be wary of using Boston Simplus as it contains both. The idea of having this in direct contact with the cornea for hours is not appealing to me. (I have acute sensitivity to Biotrue. Boston Simplus has some of the same ingredients: poloxamine,polyaminopropyl biguanide (0.0005%). You can find the FDA product insert in a PDF on this site: http://www.bausch.com/en/Our-Product...s-Multi-Action

I'm still having issues with vision correction, too, but the comfort seems very good......waiting for the next appt to have new lenses ordered.

Happy New Year everyone!

Comment

Thanks for the info about Boston Simplus. I decided not to try that one. What disinfecting solution do you use? I've been using Clear Care. I don't seem to be having the same sensitivity problems, but am having major comfort/vision problems whenever I put both lenses in. I can manage comfort wise with the right/close vision one, but when I put the left/distance one in both eyes start to bother me, feeling dry and irritated, besides the fact that my vision is bad and very annoying. I don't know how I can try to adapt to the monovision when I can't stand to have them both in for very long.

I have an appt tomorrow to have them checked. The doctor likes me to have them in for at least 2 hrs before she sees me. Not sure I'm gonna be able to stand them that long plus driving there with them in. This is very frustrating. I want to give up, but am troubled by that cause if I do, then I've lost the potential for something I thought would give me some relief and more comfort for my eyes.

Comment

Hi Smthcorona,
        Sorry you're having such an uncomfortable time with the lenses. So frustrating to deal with the discomfort, but it sounds like you're really close to a solution. Hang in there!

I use the Clear Care to disinfect and it works well without any sensitivity issues.

My wearing time seems to vary according to conditions. I've been able to get 6 hours, on a good day. On one very cold day (15 degrees), driving in bright conditions after a snowstorm, and then shopping in big box stores was torture and had only 2 hours of tolerance. My eyes were really itchy and dry and drops didn't seem to help.

Have you tried putting them in for an hour, then remove them and take a break before reinserting them?

Still having a difficult time with distance vision with the monovision. I can seen well up close, but distance isn't good enough to drive. The monovision is really appealing to me, so I'm hoping a change in the distance lens might work.

Hope your appt tomorrow goes well and your doc is able to help. Hope you'll post again soon and please let us know how it goes.

Comment

Just wanted to update on my scleral lenses. My doctor felt the one that was bothering me was not fitting well. She ordered a new one. Unfortunately it has not come in yet after 2 weeks. So all I can do is wear the one for near vision. I'm trying to wear it a little each day to try to adapt to the monovision. I think I'm doing a little better at adjusting, but not well enough to wear it for driving or at work, so can only wear it for a couple hours at night.

The comfort is pretty good, hopefully the new one will feel as good. My doctor suggested again that I try Boston Simplus, at least for cleaning them. It is suppose to condition them and give more cushioning, so better comfort. So far it has not caused any sensitivities. I even sometimes use that to keep them in overnight rather than Clear Care. It is a very thick solution. I have even tried using a few drops in the lens with saline before putting them in, but am afraid to do that too often because of the preservatives.

Comment

Working...
          X