No announcement yet.

Surgical concerns about evaporative dry eye and lid disease, Hawaiian Eye 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgical concerns about evaporative dry eye and lid disease, Hawaiian Eye 2013

http://ht.ly/h1iy4 Hawaiian Eye 2013 video presentation 'Surgical concerns about evaporative dry eye and lid disease' by James McCulley, Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Tx. Might need to register for OSN Supersite to view. If your ophthalmologist is out of the office 19-25 Jan, try Waikoloa.

Dry eye and blepharitis checklist for before surgery. Useful summary of blepharitis symptoms and some of the treatments.

Identifies a new classification of 'high delivery meibomian gland dysfunction' for seborrheoic blepharitis, and 'low delivery MGD' being obstructive or hyposecretory - the doctor must press on the eyelid to examine secretions.

In blepharitis there are always increased normally-occuring microorganisms like gram positive Staphylococcus aureus, including in what looks like primarily an aqueous-deficient dry eye.

25-50% of chronic blepharitis patients also had an aqueous-deficient dry eye with a combination of hyposecretion, hyperevaporation and molecular surface toxicity. This is true of all dry eye patients whether with lid margin disease or not.
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

This is interesting stuff, and I'm glad to see that doctors are getting that tear film has to be stabilised before a happy surgical outcome is possible or we will blame them- I note that this doctor prefers minocycline to doxy and I seem to remember having a good result with this years ago- I wonder why there would be such a difference between the 2?

Comment

bunnyrabbit, I read that minocycline is more readily absorbed into the tissues and that it also works better for RA. I used to be able to take doxy, but this last go around, it made me awfully sick. So far so good for minocycline and a good probiotic.

Comment

This is good to know, LaDiva. glad to read that it seems to be working for you. I have eye appt next week and I'm gonna bring this up. Would you mind telling me what dosage you are taking? Is this something that is used on an ongoing basis or do you take it for a while, take a break and start again? Any concerns about yeast infections? What probiotic do you find helpful and when do you take it in relation to the minocycline dose?
        Last edited by bunnyrabbit123; 30-Jan-2013, 07:17.

Comment

Working...
        X