Dry Eye/ Embaressing Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Eye/ Embaressing Story

Yeah... so this morning at about 6 to 7, my sorority's big sis, along w/ another big sis and her little sis, came to "kidnap" me and take me to breakfast (tradition that's done to pledges every year). It would have been tons of fun... except for the fact that I was wearing my goggles to sleep because they help to keep my eyes from drying out too much. They were extremely weirded out by it, but wouldn't mention it, and I didn't want to be the one to bring it up, so breakfast was very awkward.... I want to crawl under a rock and disappear right now. these are the moments that make me so frustrated that I have to deal w/ this while at college. :S
    -Amy

Amy

It could have been worse if you weren't wearing the mask you could have had an abrasion and not gone to breakfast at all.

I felt a little weird that I have just been away for a weekend with my mates and had to warn a good mate of mine (whom I was sharing a room with) that i have to wear goggles to bed otherwise I run the risk of abrasions of a morning when I woke.

His response: He didn't care he was just thankful that I had made the effort to go away with my mates for the weekend.

Made me feel great. Don't let it worry you. Point them to this community to educate them, I am sure then they would fully understand.

Ian

Comment

Hi Amy,

I'm so sorry to hear about your rough day. I know it must be hard to have to deal with all of you eye rituals when you are living with roommates, in dorms, etc. Not to mention trying to keep up with everyone. I'm 27 now and I still hate when I have to turn down plans because of my eyes or can't go to bars because of the smoky environment, etc. I think back to my college days and know it would have made things so much harder having to deal with dry eye. Do your friends know about your eye problems? I'm sure that they would understand if you explained, but at the same time I do understand why you are upset, and I'm sorry. I really do hope that things blow over soon.

You know, I've always gotten alot from your posts, because you seem so strong and seem to have come along way in terms of dealing with your condition. You certainly try your best not to let it keep you down, and I really admire that. I can tell you are very strong, and you will get through this too. I'm sorry that it has to take away from the college experience though. Anyway, just wanted to say that I'm thinking about you and I hope tommorow is better.

-Shells

Comment

Thanks for the comments- I definately needed them.

I'm feeling better about the situation as the days go on, but it was still humiliating nontheless. My big sis actually knows a tiny bit about my eye problems, but it's still just such a hard concept for others to grasp. I just hope it's like it never happened when I go to my meeting on monday. i don't really know these girls yet and am still trying to make friends so I just would have had them get to know about my problems gradually and in a slightly less shocking way.

thanks again for the support, and have a good weekend!
        -Amy

Comment

Amy09

In my original post in your thread, I assumed that the people involved were good friends of yours.

Sorry if I came across as a little insensitive, I certainly didn't mean to.

My intention was to reassure you that good friends see through the facade and respect you for who you are, regardless of the problems you endure in your daily life.

I am somewhat older at 37 (next week anyway) and am probably very dismissive of what others think, I have enough trouble dealing with this at my age, yet couldn't imagine how I would have coped if I had this 10 years ago, my toughts go out to you.

I would still encourage you to educate your friends (in your own time), the more people that know and understand this hideous condition the better.

I have been back through some of your posts and you are certainly and inspiring person.

Take care

Ian

Comment

You could either come clean, Amy, or simply tell them you're planning on dressing like a biker chick for Halloween and fell asleep trying on your costume...
            Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Ian, don't worry I didn't feel that you came across as insensitive at all, and thanks for everything guys! Y'all have no idea how much y'all help, just knowing that y'all have to deal w/ somewhat similar stuff. I don't know where I'd go to spill my guts about these eye problems if it weren't for this place.
              -Amy

Comment

Hi Amy,

I'm so sorry for your earlier humiliation. I'm 52 and can't imagine having to deal with my dry eyes back when I was WAY younger. You are very mature and an inspiration. My husband STILL THINKS when I turn the air conditioner vents in the car off of my eyes I am too cold versus they are burning the heck out of my eyes. Sometimes it is too much of an effort to explain and I feel that all I do is complain. I, too, don't know what I would do without all our dry eye buddies. Reading other's comments, it seems so easy to say "just come clean" and everyone will understand. But actually doing this is not quite as easy. Hang in and same to all my dry eye buds!

Comment

Working...
                X