Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Candida Yeast as a possible cause of dry eyes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candida Yeast as a possible cause of dry eyes?

Hi,

I wondered wether there are people here who have experiences/knowledge concerning yeast overgrowth as a possible cause of dry eyes.
    I mean, there are so many listed symptoms for yeast overgrowth that i'm not sure that looking for specific symptoms make so much sense.
    I for one have dry eyes, seborrhoic skin (and some seborrhoic dermatitis without using ointment), a little bit of acne (used to have much more), a bit of strange joint pain (however, only in the wrists if at all - I have tos ee a doctor about it, still not sure if it really are the joints or maybe nerves etc.) and - this is what got me to looking into yeast overgrowth - a strange tongue fur/coating. It is greenish and the reason why I never really looked itno it before is that the coating isn't really detectable because the front area of my tongue is not affected.

My problem with the whole approach of yeast overgrowth is that after some short googles searches it seems as if the only "doctors" who treat this are homeopath, "naturalistic" doctors etc.
    I don't have much trust into the members of these professions

So, what are your experiences? What do you know about yeast overgrowth? Is is worth looking into?

Best regards,

Emil

Last edited by savino; 02-Sep-2016, 04:09.

Comment

Thanks for your answer.
      My trush actually can be considered white as well. I'm not sure. I guess it maybe also depends on the lighting and what I ate last.

Anyway, I guess the best thing to do would be to let a doctor test whatever stuff it is on my tongue and in case it indeed is yeast I can consider treatment options?

Also, what is your connection between yeast and cholesterol levels?

Comment

I'm very interested in this topic, and functional medicine I'd be interested in to hear anyone's stories on this too.
        People have recovered, so can we.
        www.twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend)

Comment

Hm, so does anyone else have some experience with this topic?

Since I now read about yeast being able to affect the nervous system I actually considered visiting a neurologist in general, regardless of wether or not tests indicate that I have a yeast problem.

I mean, I don't know how it is for others but I am 20 years old and I did have perfectly healthy eyes until I was about 16.
          So why would my tear glands just stop producing normal amounts of tears all of a sudden?
          Even though I have no medical education from what I've read the most likely deeper lying causes would be hormones and/or nerve problems.
          I do have emotional tears so it is no technical problem of my tear gland not being able to produce tears at all...

Comment

Last edited by savino; 02-Sep-2016, 04:08.

Comment

I'm actually still testing around wether or not I have a problem with gluten (not due to dry eye though, I simply have one positive blood test) and if you look at the symtpoms listed by universities you will find over 300 symptoms that are linked to celiac disease.

Therefore I don't think it is appropriate for you to just wipe it away so easily.

I value any help, however, when you're supposedly helping someone you always have a responsibility as well to not present things a facts that either obviously are not facts or that are at least very questionable in their absolution.

Edit: My first eye doctor did something like this by telling me that I would have to accept that I will have dry eyes for the rest of my life. And while that might end up being true in the end it was simply totally irresponsible and also unscientific to make such a statement at that point of my treatment.
              Even now I still have some things I can try out and back then I hadn't even been checked on demodex for example.
              My point is that maybe she already had patients exactly with undiscovered demodex, told them there was no cure and that they had to accept it and now those patients are living with an unnecessary illness.

Edit²: And btw. I will look further into the idea of candida playing a role (I read your other thread where you stated that you have seborrhoic dermatitis - you are aware that seborrhoic dermatitis is closely linked to a specific kind of yeast?).

I have nothing to lose and I remain convinced that the current state of treatment in the dryeye-section is toxic concerning the attitude of patients and doctors. It may be understandable froma doctor's point - they want to be honest with the patient - however, like easily 90% of the people with dryeye have given up completely on the route of finding a cause for their dry eye problem.

I mean, there of course are cases in which it might be rather obvious that dry eye needs to be accepted and should be dealt with symptomwise only.
              But all the people who had healthy eyes up until a certain point in their lives shouldn't just give up on finding a cause in my opinion.
              Last edited by OompaLoompa; 16-Nov-2015, 12:07.

Comment

Last edited by savino; 02-Sep-2016, 04:08.

Comment

Yes, we had Tinea versicolor (Malassezia furfur) on the hairline and back and ongoing 'cradle cap' as a child. MGD started at puberty, although periorificial rosacea developed after topical steroid (Clotrimazole). Here's another interesting study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC523025/ 'Regulation of Candida albicans Morphogenesis by Fatty Acid Metabolites'. A pharmacist told me about a girl who lost her eyebrows and eyelashes and they grew back to normal after using Head and Shoulders shampoo. The ophth saw demodex and we sometimes use a course of tea tree shampoo:warm water 1:50 eyelid margin cleaning, 2 weeks on, then taper (see demodex lifecycle).
                  Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

I just finished reading a book all about the gut and how new science would suggest it's plays a major roll in our body's functionality, making it as Influential as the heart and our minds. It actually changed the way I see everything. It mentioned a type of flora that influences mucus membranes (by attaching itself to them ) which made me further convinced there is some thing more to the gut and eyes? I also found a website linking dry eyes and its relationship between the gut and probiotics, so it's by all means not impossible that the type and range of diversity of your gut flora can effect us.
                    Therefore i think it's a space worth watching and could play a substantial role in future medicine.
                    Last edited by waterbee; 03-Jan-2016, 19:46.
                    People have recovered, so can we.
                    www.twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend)

Comment

Working...
                    X