Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reached the end of the line and now I've lost hope.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

///////////
    Last edited by savino; 02-Sep-2016, 03:19.

Comment

Originally posted by savino View Post
      . The amount of heat needed to liquify the solidified oil is so high that it would burn the cornea which why Lipiflow was invented in the first place because it warms tha glands from the back.
      This is simply not true. There are academic studies showing that hot compresses help. I believe this is one of the rare things that all doctors agree on. I can litteraly see it for myself in a magnified mirror, after a hot compress,that my oil is more "oil like" and less hardened grease like than before the compress. The thing is that the worst your oil is the higher the heat is needed.

My advice for you would be to find a great doctor even if it means driving half a day or flying somewhere.

Some things you could try is moisture chamber glasses, scleral lenses, and if your glands need it, Lipiflow.

Comment

We all have enough to deal with having this condition to argue back and forth with each other. We all need to be nice and respect each other rather than attack each other. That is just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by MGD30 View Post

This is simply not true. There are academic studies showing that hot compresses help. I believe this is one of the rare things that all doctors agree on. I can litteraly see it for myself in a magnified mirror, after a hot compress,that my oil is more "oil like" and less hardened grease like than before the compress. The thing is that the worst your oil is the higher the heat is needed.

My advice for you would be to find a great doctor even if it means driving half a day or flying somewhere.

Some things you could try is moisture chamber glasses, scleral lenses, and if your glands need it, Lipiflow.
          Last edited by savino; 02-Sep-2016, 04:05.

Comment

I have questioned the Hot compress for MGD myself, while I am not sure if it really opens up the glands, my eyes do feel better after using it. Dry eye is so frustrating the 10 to 15 minutes I lay with the compress helps me relax if nothing else. Just got scleral lenses last Thursday, I have both aqueous and evaporative dry eye and of course MGD. It took 5 different doctors until I found one who stopped and listened. I did my own research on the scleral lenses and suggested them to him. The past four days have been a game changer. Went out Friday night the first time in 7 months. My eyes are still red but hopefully over time the lenses will also help with the inflammation. Good luck to you, be your own advocate.

Comment

Mate, if warm compresses were really effective we wouldn't have things such as manual expression with steel foreceps (which looks super painful btw), lipiflow and probing.

Since I developed problems practically over night I am trying to treat the root cause which is bacteria and not just symptoms.
              Warm compresses are effective. That is a medical consense.

Those comparisons are also nonsense.

1. Steel forceps are a device that one would use within the treatment with warm compresses. It may enable some people to massage their lids easier and more effectively.

2. Lipiflow works fast, with few treatments. Warm compresses are a long-term treatment. Claiming warm compresses are useless due to the existence of Lipiflow is like saying stocks are useless because there are other ways to accumulate money faster.
              Additionally, assuming - for the sake of the argument - the comparison was ok, then the fact that Lipiflow was more effective would not mean that warm compresses are non-effective/useless.

3. It's the same with probing. It is a totally different approach and what you write is just pure nonsense.

And while I don't care what you do in your own treatment this ignorant talk about warm compresses being ineffective is really irresponsible. Because it takes endurance to keep using warm compresses, massing your lids etc. Your ignorant, wrong posts that totally go against anything a reputable ophthalmologist will tell you could end up demotivating people that otherwise would get better in the long-term due to warm compresses and lid massage.

Comment

https://youtu.be/AYjBuWB7jrg?t=2364

Last edited by savino; 02-Sep-2016, 03:19.

Comment

Last edited by savino; 04-Jun-2017, 07:31.

Comment

It's been 19 months now since my dry eye began. I really don't know what to else to do and how I can live a normal life again. I have been severely depressed ever since this happened. The first six months were so bad I could not even stay behind the computer for more than 10 minutes. I was waking up at night with bone dry eyes. My TBUT was 0 in both eyes. After exactly 7 months of incompetent ophthalmologists and failed treatments my eyes started foaming and have been foaming for 11 months now. I am so sick and fed up with this, nothing is working. i have had some success with honey but it's like my eyes have a mind of their own. There is nothing left for me to try. The only thing I haven't been on is Restasis. I really don't know if it would help though because saponification of lipids is thought to be caused by bacteria changing the composition of the meibum. I had one breakthrough when I was using Selsun shampoo on the eyelids two times a day. It completely dried up my eyelids but my inflammation went down about 80% in a week. I thought i was going to be cured. But friday came and everything went to hell. I really have no explanation why it worked. I repeated the treatment later but never got the same results. There were a couple of times when my eyes started to get better but again, got worse quickly. Right before I ran out of ulmo honey I woke up one day and my eyes were almost normal for about 15 minutes. I can deal with having dry eye but the inflammation is driving me insane. I'm just living in complete misery. It is the froth that is causing my dry eye. If I can't stop the frothing I can't treat the dry eye. It is simple as that. Sometimes I'll feel how it starts destroying the tear film. Below are the things I have tried. I'm sure there are a few I forgot to write.

7 trips to 4 ophthalmologists,
                    Morning lid expression
                    Warm compress 4xday for 3 months
                    Bacterial swab of conjuctiva - negative,
                    Zaditen,
                    Maxidex,
                    Ciloxan,
                    Chloramphenicol,
                    Azyter,
                    Maxitrol,
                    Doxycycline (3 months)
                    Lotemax, - worked but stopped after 1 week due to serious eye pain and not wanting to risk further complications
                    Cliradex TTO - allergic
                    Occusoft LidScrub Plus - allergic
                    Wet Ones Antibacterial Wipes - allergic
                    Canesten Antifungal Cream - allergic
                    Oronazol Antifungal Cream - allergic
                    Oronazol Antifungal Shampoo - allergic
                    Selsun Antifungal Shampoo,
                    Kelual DS Antifungal Cream,
                    Staphefekt Cream,
                    Johnsons Baby Shampoo scrubs - allergic
                    Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil - allergic
                    Optrex Eye Bath - allergic
                    Manuka Honey 15+
                    Manuka Honey 25+ - some success
                    Regular Honey,
                    Ulmo Honey, - some success
                    Honeydew honey - some success
                    Hypoallergenic Shampoo scrubs - allergic
                    Nivea Wash Gel scrubs,
                    Tea Tree Oil Soap scrubs,
                    Benzalkonium Chloride Wipes, - allergic
                    Serenity Hand Rub Sanitiser - possibly allergic
                    Ocusoft Hypochlor Gel 0.02% HA - allergic
                    Leucillin 0.06% HA - allergic
                    Aquaint Sanitising Water 0.003% HA
                    Coconut Oil,
                    Contact Lens Solution Eye Bath,
                    Colloidal Silver a few times,
                    Bepanthen Drops,
                    Vismed Gel,
                    Systane Balance Drops,
                    Omega 3-6-9,
                    Omega 3 (1400/700 EPA DHA 2 tblspoons/day for 3 motnhs),
                    Flaxseed Oil (2 tablespoons/day for 2 months),
                    NAC (1200mg/day),
                    Curcumin,
                    Mulberry Extract,
                    Seabuckthorn Oil (4 capsules/day),
                    Olive Oil (2 tbps/day),
                    Lecithin (4 capsules/day)
                    Candida Diet 2 times (3 weeks).
                    Low fat diet - maybe some improvement
                    Vitamin D 10000 IU
                    Vitamin C 4g
                    Magnesium Citrate 400mg

This is insane.

And I thought I was the only one...OMG. the one thing you left out was fish oil...other than that, I've done the same routines, the same everything.....LOLO

Comment

Mate, if warm compresses were really effective we wouldn't have things such as manual expression with steel foreceps (which looks super painful btw), lipiflow and probing.

Since I developed problems practically over night I am trying to treat the root cause which is bacteria and not just symptoms.

I think you are a bit confused here. Warm compress isnt a substitute for lipiflow or probing they are complimentary. Its like saying why would you diet when you can have bypass surgery. Lipiflow is used initially for a severe blockage then you use the warm compress and expressions to maintain so it does not get blocked again. So its really the people with severe cases that need the compresses the most. Although they are not for everyone, a small minority of people get inflammation from the warm compresses so they have to use something like blephasteam.

You posted the video lecture of doctor Korb to prove your point but I think it does the opposite.Dr Korb recommends doing a wet, hot compress every day followed by gland expression (not to be confused with massage which puts pressure on the eye itself which can cause damage) for MGD. You can even see in that video the technique he uses for expressions by pinching the eye lid carefully thereby putting pressure on the glands but not on the eye itself.

Comment

I read somewhere that Allergic drops can be usefull for MGD caused by bacteria.

Why ? because it regulates and kills the excess of bacteria
                        How ? I dont have any idea
                        But i remember well that it was a post on another site.
                        It was Cromabak ( anti histamine drops ) i think

Comment

Working...
                        X