Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyes unbearable after inner ear cat scan

Hi everyone,

Last Wednesday the opthalmologist said my tear breakup was 3. My shirmer was normal he said at 19.

Thursday I had an inner ear cat scan, it was just a few minutes but immediately my eyes killed me. They went from bad to worse.

Today my TBUT is not even 1. This after no heat in the house, drops, lots of omega 3's, water, sitting in the dark every day except for today when I went back to work.

Not only am in in crazy pain, but its harder to produce tears too in the first place, which I never had problems with before, it was always a quality issue.
    I am going nuts, I can't even function. They tell me it's a coincidence. That's a major coincidence. The crazy amount of radiation can cause cancer later on yet can't damage the eye? I don't get it, online it says the eye is super sensitive to cat scan radiation exp in children and people with eye conditions and talks about using these special goggles that prevent 70% of radiation. Apparently there is a way to do the cat scan and not affect the eye but I don't know how they did the xrays nor how much radiation was used.

I have tried all the basics; all tears, heat, restasis, plugs etc...I went from miserable but functioning to completely feeling disabled. Does anyone have an opinion on what could have happened so suddendly? Thank you.

I am disappointed there are no answers, I assume no one has an opinion on this and perhaps hasn't heard of it. I realize inner ear cat scan is done probably thousands of times a year and people don't have eye problems as a result, at least not immediate like me. But I guess I wonder what about people who already have painful dry eyes to begin with like me, who went from 3 to less than 0, they are more likely to notice a change than someone with normal eyes who goes from a normal tbut of 15 to perhaps a 12. Or perhaps normal eyes are not susceptible to the risk in the first place. I don't know how many people with super dry eyes have cat scans of the face area to be able to compare. I guess it can all be a coincidence but I have never had this much consistent non fluctuating eye pain in all my years with this disease. It's really hard the not knowing what happened and how long it will be this bad, of course my family and friends don't understand.

Comment

Pretty sure it has to be something nerve-related. The question is wether or not this really could have permanent effects.

Comment

I know I've seen radiation induced dry eye posts on this site. I can't reacall it ever being from a cat scan but usually from radiation cancer treatments. You may find some relevant info if you search "radiation" or "cancer".

Best of luck to you.

Comment

Thank you.
          I researched this and when it came up, it was related to radiation from chemo. But I did read that these special goggles are suppose to help keep your eyes protected from 70% of the cat radiation but I was never given such eyeware. I was told my glands are atrophied so I have been feeling down about that. I don't know if it's more than before? I am with a new medical plan now but will try to find out to compare. Plugs and restasis did not help so I am thinking about cautery even though it scares me for many reasons. I need my eyes to last. I am in my 30's and worry how long they will last. I have never had my meiboian glands manually expressed by any doctor and I don't know why.

Comment

Working...
          X