Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I have dry eye......or the weirdest eye problem........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have dry eye......or the weirdest eye problem........

Well this is my first post here and I want to say straight off that I know my problem is not super super serious, but I am a worrier with other medical problems so would really appreciate anyone who has any similar experience that can make me stop thinking about this 24/7!

Background Info: I currently wear glasses and Acuvue Oasys lens. My prescription is.......Left eye:S-2.25 C-0.75 A 85
    Right eye: S -2.75 C -0.5 A 55
    I also have been a sufferer or M.E (CFS) for over 15 years. I used to be incredibly bad ( needed a wheelchair if I had to go out), left school at 10 and never went back. I am better than that now, but still am limited to what I can do in a day, I honestly dont think my M.E. has anything to do with my bad eye ( I have read about Sjorgens Syndrome, but I have worn glasses and contacts for years and never had this problem, I dont even think the dry eye diagnosis is completly correct)

4th July 2013: Appointment at opticans as I notice my left lens in my glasses is blurry. I assume its due to prescription getting worse. I see a new optican (not my usual one) who doesnt do the fluorescein test but says my prescription in left lens has changed. Glasses get changed, left lens feels no different.

8th July: I ring my otpican to say that I think the wrong lens has been put in my glasses as it is still really blurry even though my prescription went up by something like 0.25. He checks glasses and says the right prescription is in them. Does a quick test, including a fluorescein test, and he says theres quite a bit of staining in the nasal area of my, going onto my iris and even a bit on my pupil, which is why my vision is blurry and he cant correct my left eye when doing a refraction test. Says there is no abrasion, but the staining is on the surface cells and making the surface uneven. Advises to stop my contacts and eye make up and come back the following weekend.

Throughout that week, my vision doesnt get any better and seems to feel worse as the day goes on.

13th July: Go back to see optican, says my staining has not really healed and is still on my pupil, hence my vision not improving. Says again there is no abraision, has no idea what has caused it. Says it could be due to an allergy ( I dont think so as I dont suffer from allergies and have had no other symptoms) or could be due to dry eyes ( again I dont seem to have any of the other symtoms such as pain, foreign body feeling, swelling, redness etc). Gets me to start using Viscotears non-preservative eye drops and writes to my doctor to ask for a referral to the eye hospital as he says if it doesnt clear up, the hospital might know more what to do.

I am due to go back to the opticans tomorrow, and the only improvment I seem to have is a bit odd. In the morning when I wake, my left eye seems fine for about an hour or so (i suppose this is an improvment on the 20 mins a day or so ago) then goes blurry again. Throughout the day the vision seems to fluctuate between good and blurry. At about 3pm-ish, the vision in my left eye seems to get blurrier.Basically, the longer I leave my glasses on, the blurrier my vision gets. yesterday I did an experiment where I left my glasses off for most of the day and found when I watched at night, my left eye was not as blurry as I hadnt worn my glasses for a prolonged period. Also, when my glasses are off, I seem to see better out of my left eye than my right, but my left eye has the worst prescription, so that doesnt make sense!

I know my problem is obvously not as bad as some other people on here, and part of me feels like the most pathetic person on the planet, but I cant find anything on the internet that is like my problem. I just worry that whatever is causing the stain isnt going to heal and my vision is going to stay like this, which by the end of the day feels so strained in my left eye as it feels so blurry.

Am I expecting to much from the healing process to be healed by now? I thought with it not being a corneal abrasion, it would have healed by now, but obiviously the stain on my pupil is still there!

Any information or similar experiences would bre greatly appreciated as I think I am driving my family demented talking and worrying about it all the time!!

Rebecca

Hi, sorry you are having problems.

Eye symptoms can be a big problem in ME. The muscles of the eye can be affected as much as the muscles of the legs. Getting worse as the day goes on sounds about right. A light tint to reduce glare can help.many people with ME wear sunglasses out of doors, too.

Interpretation of vision in the brain can also go wrong in ME, also involvement of the facial nerves can cause pain and blurring. Double vision as the day goes on is the muscles not working together as they tire and changing from near vision to far away can take a while to happen.

One of the dangers of a disease like ME is that every new symptom can be put down to it so it is much better to get checked out by a consultant.

If it is ME and doesn't seem to be going try covering up your blurry eye for a few minutes at a time to give the eye muscles a rest from trying to bring everything into focus.

Hope something helps,

R.

Comment

Hi Rebecca, very welcome here. Look forward to hearing what the Ophthalmologist says about your vision and your eyes. Kind Rowanberry has such long experience and is so very right that it's best to have an ongoing relationship with an Eye Clinic now for monitoring and suggestions of what will help. I would choose one of the main teaching hospitals if you can get there to take advantage of all the expertise and equipment.

By 'staining' the optometrist might mean that the fluorescein dye they use to examine the eye surface and tear film is collecting on the eye surface in a patch, and s/he's wondering why that's happening. Less likely to mean there's an actual 'stain'. Could be a dry patch or a bit of damage, for example. Usually for my daughter it means a dry patch.

Really nice that you are here with us. I think it's difficult to say who is better or worse off because so much depends on finding medical help and support. We're all here to share our worries and experience and help each other x
      Last edited by littlemermaid; 31-Jul-2013, 04:42.
      Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Thanks for the comments Rowanberry and littlemermaid. It has been such a stressful month that its a nice feeling to think there is somewhere to vent the feelings of fustration. Well the staining over the pupil and iris has cleared up,but the vision in my left eye is still blurry. I have now had my left lens in my glasses changed 3 times (with the asigmatism in and out) and it still wasnt right. This past week alone I have felt so dizzy which has been so awful. I went back into my contacts (optician gave me a new brand of dailies in case I was allergic to the solution) but some of the staining has come back, although not as much as it was. I had another refraction test yesterday, and the optican found that my left eye has actually improved and that might be why my left lens is still not sharp enough and why the longer i wear them, the blurrier my vision gets. Getting the lens changed today, hopefully for the last time, so fingers crossed this works!!!

Rebecca

Comment

Bex, Do you get less dizziness with slightly tinted glasses, as Rowanberry suggests? I'm a big fan of prescription sunglasses ~ they look so celebrity cool, and now wraparounds and sports sunglasses are more easily available high street.

If the fluorescein staining is back with contact lenses, do you think they are affecting your eye surface? Do you get a blurry left eye with contact lenses?

I hope you are getting free NHS service from the Optometrists on 'clinical need' and that you have an 'optical voucher' to pay for/help pay for your glasses http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNH...opticians.aspx

Also the GP can pay for lubricant eyedrops from CCG budget as part of managing your condition.

About the frustrations, I try to keep up to date with the NHS website, NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) and CKS (Clinical Knowledge Summary) guidelines so I know where I am with the docs, eg http://www.nice.org.uk/cg053 Feel free to vent your frustrations any time...
          Last edited by littlemermaid; 01-Aug-2013, 04:42.

Comment

Originally posted by littlemermaid View Post
            Bex, Do you get less dizziness with slightly tinted glasses, as Rowanberry suggests? I'm a big fan of prescription sunglasses ~ they look so celebrity cool, and now wraparounds and sports sunglasses are more easily available high street. No I still felt dizzy even with darker glasses on. Actually I had my prescription changed again (the left eye was too strong) and the dizziness has stopped. Vision still not right in left, the more I wear my glasses the blurrier it gets!

If the fluorescein staining is back with contact lenses, do you think they are affecting your eye surface? Do you get a blurry left eye with contact lenses? My optician did say the staining was making the surface uneven. Although most of it has gone, some of did come back once I started to wear contacts again. I hope this doesnt mean I wont be able to wear contacts again Funnily enough, I get the best vision when my contact lens is in. Apprantley this could be cos the contacts makes the surface more even, hence the better vision.

I hope you are getting free NHS service from the Optometrists on 'clinical need' and that you have an 'optical voucher' to pay for/help pay for your glasses http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNH...opticians.aspx Yes I have the optical voucher to help pay for stuff, and so far my optician has been really good in that he hasnt charged me for the lens changes (unless hes waiting to surpirse me with a bill when its all sorted lol)

Also the GP can pay for lubricant eyedrops from CCG budget as part of managing your condition.

About the frustrations, I try to keep up to date with the NHS website, NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) and CKS (Clinical Knowledge Summary) guidelines so I know where I am with the docs, eg http://www.nice.org.uk/cg053 Feel free to vent your frustrations any time...
            Thanks for your advice!!

Comment

Stupid me wrote within the quote, hence my answers to your questions are the same font as your previous post, doh!

Comment

Hey, Bex ~ didn't get your answers Really interested in whether you've been able to get NHS eye treatments for your condition because it's my big worry just now x

Comment

Littlemermaid do you mean my M.E. condition or my eye problem?? So far my optician hasnt charged me for my change of lenses, and although he has written to my doctor, I havent been to make hospital appointment yet as im trying to see if my eye can settle once it gets the right prescription. I got it changed again( 4th times the charm!) but now feel its too weak and my left eye was super blurry this morn, but again if i look through my right lens in my glasses, my left eye becomes clear. Its like whatever my right eye has, my left eye wants it!

The dizziness has stopped finally, but when I had it the dark glasses never helped.

My optician said that when I had the main staining that was going onto my pupil and iris, he said it was making my eye surface uneven. When I said that when I wore contacts, my vision was super sharp in my left eye, he said that could be because the contact lens was smoothing out the surface.

I am going back on monday afternoon, to get yet again another refraction test, and unless it comes up different Im going to see if he advises I go the hosiptal and mayeb they can figure out why my left eye vision is still not right!

In all the years I have been ill, these past few weeks have been so stressful. There is nothing more that can worry a person that something to do with their sight!

Comment

Working...
                  X