Neurontin vs. Lyrica vs. Amitrypline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neurontin vs. Lyrica vs. Amitrypline

Which drug is best? I am on 20mg of Amitrypline and it has cut down on my pain quite a bit. But, it has not erased it. Also, I find myself mentally anxious and feeling the pain, when it isn't there. I know this sounds funny, but I've become so anxious about the constant pain in one part of my right eye, that even when I focus on it and realize I'm not in pain, I "feel" that area (upper right side of my right eye). It's a psychological quirk that makes me anxious.

If you have cornea neuralgia, what drug has been successful? I chose the Amitrypline because it is an anti-depressant. Thought I'd kill two birds with one stone. I think the Neurontin and Lyrica have side effects that make doctors uncomfortable to prescribe it?

What is the general experience of everyone out there?

Cali,

This may be of no use to you but I have tried lyrica and still use 25mg at night. It does nothing for my eyes but it makes me very drowsy and I sleep like a baby. Until I move back home to see my family doctor, I am using it as a sleep aid. Lol lyrica DOES have the side effect of drowsiness, big time. Some people use lyrica as an anti anxiety med and a sleep aid in very low doses.

P.s. maybe see someone about the "mental" part of pain. I experience it to. I know exactly what u mean...

Comment

Hi Cali, I'm so gland Amitrypline is helping with your eye pain to a degree. However, "dry eyes" is one of the side effects because it blocks a neurotransmitter called "acetylcholine" that stimulates the Lacrimal glands. However, if your eyes aren't very dry and it's mostly neuralgia you should be okay

Comment

Thanks Faith and DCR. DCRdryeye, at the low dose of 20mg (not antidepressent level), I'm wondering if it still block "acetycholine."

Comment

I'm not sure Cali but it's classed as an anti-cholinergic. Many meds have ruined lives by causing dry eye. But if it's working for you, keep using it

Comment

Working...
          X