Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Several prominent red veins in right eye that won't go away?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several prominent red veins in right eye that won't go away?

I have veins in both eyes. However, the excess amount in the right eye is quite clear and devastating.

I'm 20 years old. I've never done eye surgery, wore contacts, or used vasoconstrictors (eye drops)

I initally went to the optometrist (age 17) with eye strain complaint. He only prescribed me glasses.

I now believe the strain was due to dry eye issues because of prolonged computer usage and not enough sleep. This particularly happened from June-November 2012 and January-March 2013. Now my eyes are ruined.. first large vein appeared in September 2012.. another vein appeared with 3 additional veins branching off it noticed in February 2013.

It's a shame the effects of computer overuse are not widely publicized.

I'm using lubricating eye drops occasionally. I don't really suffer from dry eyes unless i'm spending 10+ hours a day surfing the net or watching television.

I'm just sad about these "permanent" veins in my eyes and I'm hopelessly trying to get rid of them or reduce their severity. Has anyone with red eye veins treated them successfully after many months?

I have developed some redness in my right eye as well that bothers me. Some days its worse than others. I have blepharitis though, so when my lids are red, my eyes usually are too. I don't know what to tell you other than eat clean and try to avoid sugar which can make things worse!

Comment

KG--I have the same problem. I have prominent veins in both eyes, with kind of a spider-weblike effect, one a little worse than the other. It looks a bit like ocular rosacea but the docs say I don't have that issue. I wonder if certain people may be just naturally more predisposed to them. There are some dry eye sufferers out there that don't have noticeable veins and others probably like us. As far as I know there is no treatment, just prevention, by keeping eyes moist and avoiding prolonged computer use and other exacerbating factors. Rest assured you aren't the only one. I think a fashionable pair of glasses can help make them less noticeable too.

Comment

I am in my mid-30s and have had this problem since I was a teenager. It makes me really self-conscious. It's worse if I travel, unfortunately. I have people asking me about my red eyes a lot and it's very upsetting. I got dissolving plugs put in recently and they are slightly less red, which is a great comfort to me. I find that when I do wear eye makeup, a dark midnight blue helps make my not very white eye whites a small bit brighter. At least we aren't alone. I will admit to being jealous of people who have no visible veins as mine are pretty nasty looking. Sadly my small children already are plagued with this.

Comment

I agree that some of us are just prone to redness and sensitive eyes. I have blue eyes as do my two kids and hubby and we all have sensitive eyes and the veins are more visible under certain conditions. ie - when tired, or sick/allergies, or in the wind/sun, fluorescent lighting, etc.

Comment

For anyone reading this, is there anything we can do besides try to treat the inflammation? I am SO sick of my little veins all over my one eye...yes only one eye has redness lol

Comment

One reason the arteries become prominent in patients with dry eye disease is called vascular permeability. As the tear film osmolarity increases the body reacts by moving the arteries closer to the surface and increases the amount of serum released to the ocular surface. Serum is extremely hypotonic(low osmolarity). This is the body's way of trying to reduce the osmolarity of the ocular surface and stop/reduce inflammation.

Comment

Indrep, I am using 100 percent serum right now. I have been for like six months and still have all my red veins. How long can reversing it take? I also use restasis and doxy. Lotemax when needed. I feel like the steroid is the only thing that takes away the veins.

Is there any other way to reduce the osmolarity?

Comment

Faith,
                  The problem with serum drops is the vehicle that keeps them on the ocular surface. A drop from a bottle will only be on the eye for less than 10-12 minutes. A drop is needed that binds to the epithelial cells and is not blinked off the surface. The only molecule that seems capable of this is HA (sodium hyaluronate). It binds to the epithelial cells with the CD44 receptor and holds over 1000 times its weight in water. Depending on where "cyberspace" is there could be many choice or in the US only a couple. I would look for the product that has an HA percentage of at least .15% and is a long chain high molecular weight product.

Comment

If anyone has any examples of the HA drop let me know!

Comment

Indrep, the hylauronic drop you mention is the Oasis Tears Pus preservative free drop that, correct?

Not to hijack the post, but why are these veins that everyone mentions worse now that I have plugs? Everything...absolutely everything, is redder now. Very disappointing. Ready to rip these things out (even tried earlier out of desperation-no kidding). Faith, I have your issue where the only thing that reduces the vein appearance is steroid drops.

Anyone else going through this?

Comment

Originally posted by Katewest View Post
                        If anyone has any examples of the HA drop let me know!
                        I just purchased Hylo eye drops and Hylo Gel (see here for some info: http://www.herzig-eye.com/dry-eye/hylotm-for-hei/). Active ingredient: Sodium Hyaluronate (HA).

They had to be ordered by my local Shoppers Drug Mart (they weren't on the shelf or behind the pharmacy counter. A prescription is not required.)

They were very expensive. The eye drops were $39, gel was $53, total for both was $103.35. OUCH!

I haven't tried them yet.

Comment

HA drops

KG, I don't know where you're located but some ideas for HA eye drops are...

This UK-based webpage (http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/So...r-dry-eyes.htm) says that these drops contain HA:

Artelac Splash®
                          Artelac Rebalance®
                          Blink Intensive®
                          Clinitas®
                          Hyabak®
                          Hylo-Care®, Hylo-Forte®, Hylo-Tear®
                          Lubristil®
                          Ocusan®
                          Oxyal®
                          Vismed®
                          Gary Foulks wrote here (http://www.eyecareeducators.com/site...ar_surface.htm):

To date, hyaluronic acid’s application as an ocular surface lubricant has been greatest in Japan, where it is the active ingredient in the most commonly prescribed and recommended artificial tears. It is also available in Europe, but in the United States, the FDA placed restrictions on the original commercial product, which was derived from rooster combs—the FDA has long looked unfavorably on such biological extracts due to the risks of contamination and the transmission of infectious disease.
                          Several artificial tears and contact lens rewetting drops that are marketed in the US contain hyaluronic acid. In these products, however, the hyaluronic acid is technically an excipient, ie, an “inactive” ingredient. As a result, the companies that make these products don’t advertise its presence, although it is listed on packaging and package inserts.

Comment

I've had the same problem since I was about 11 years old. I am sorry to say that I have yet to find a cure, and I am now in my fifties. I overused vasoconstrictors for many years, which of course made the problem worse. I also think it has to do with rosacea, but my optometrist doesn't think so. I use various lubricating drops, but unfortunately, they seem to irritate my eyes.

Personally, I still believe it has something to do with rosacea which is quite common in people with light colored eyes (my eyes are blue-green). I have noticed that the slightest lack of sleep, and/or stress, and fluorescent lights exacerbates the situation.
                            I know it is depressing, but I hope you derive some comfort in knowing that you are not alone.

Somewhere else on this message board was a discussion of new eyedrops that were originally designed for glaucoma and that seem to reduce redness with the rebound redness of vasoconstrictors. I am keeping my fingers crossed that these will be available for our condition soon.
                            In the meantime, try some stylish glasses and try to think positively about yourself as much as possible.

Comment

NotearsATL, Yes the Oasis Tears Plus drops are in vials and are preservative free. The vials also seem to recap nicely.

Even quadraplugged people may take months before the redness begins to diminish. Reducing osmolarity takes time.

Comment

Working...
                              X