Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polyopia, glare, starburst from dry eye?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polyopia, glare, starburst from dry eye?

Hi,

I'm a 19 year old patient with MGD and aqueous deficiency dry eye, and have suffered with this since I took isotretinoin (Roaccutane, Accutane).

I'm currently treating the condition with artelac rebalance eye drops (sodium hyaluronate 0.15%), artelac nighttime gel (carbomer 980), warm compresses and lid scrubs (blephagel) under the care of an NHS consultant in Cardiff.

I suffer from burning sensation, foreign body sensation, itchiness and tired eyes. Other more noticeable symptoms I have been getting for the past 6 months are monocular double vision in both eyes (ghosting even when the other eye is covered), glare and starburst from light sources. The ghosting is at its worst in high contrast situations such as white text on black backgrounds. I am training to be a Radiographer (X-ray tech) which involves a lot of white images on black backgrounds so this is quite troublesome!

I was wondering if the ghosting and glare could be due to my dry eye, and how best to control these symptoms. I've read that RGP lenses are useful in treating abnormalities in corneal shape and surface. Does anyone here also get glare and ghosting from their dry eyes? Also, has anyone with dry eye ever tried using RGP contact lenses and what are your experiences with these?

Hi there

I developed starburst, glare etc. about six months ago when my dry eye symptoms began. It was quite terrifying because I noticed them getting bigger and bigger by the week. My doctor suggested it is due to unstable/poor tearfilm. I'm also quite convinced this is due to DE symptoms.

I can very much relate to the white/black problem. Subtitles in tv for example are very bad. Unfortunately I think there is not much to do with it. I have read that RGP öenses might be helpful, but due to my dry eye it is not possible for me to even try them.

I haven't gotten used to them and they are making my life pretty miserable. My friend has them too, but she doesn't mine, because she has had them always and said somenthing like "oh, but those are lights, they should be like that don't you think".

Anyways, let me know how you are doing today.

Comment

Working...
    X