Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My story of dry eye

Hi,

My name is Pedro and i'm 27 years old. First of all, sorry for some mistakes in English but i'm from Portugal.

I met this forum some weeks ago and i was surprised at how many people there are with the same problem as me.

Well, my story is:

I started to work at 18 years old and never had any problems with my eyes since then. At 19/20 years, i had some stomach problems which made it impossible for me to drink coffee or milk. I do not know if it had anything to do with this situation, but since then I have had problems with dry eyes.

I changed 3 times of employment, being one of them 6 years driving a van that did not use air conditioning, so the question of whether air conditioning to cause or worsen this situation was out of the question.

Over the years, the prognosis they gave me was that they would be allergies and I spent a lot of time (maybe even too much) taking drops with cortisone which allied me with the problem, but it did not resolve.

I was referred to the rheumatology consultation and after some tests, nothing was detected.

Most recently I did several allergy tests and gave negative ones. It was there that I changed once again from doctor and it was diagnosed me through the schirmer test that my left eye only produced about 3mm of tear and the right 5mm.

After that I was treated with thealoz duo gel, and despite improving, does not solve. I continue to wake up with pretty red eyes and went to the doctor yesterday again who prescribed me this time a supposedly stronger medicine, Siccafluid, which i'm now testing.

Thanks to this forum I was aware of the existing masks to "warm" the eyes, so I have already ordered one.

This disease, although not incapacitating, makes life more difficult and gives the sensation that few doctors perceive it.

So now thanks for the existence of this forum and of course, if you have tips, I am available to listen

Regards

Hi Welcome
    so you have MGD, water problem or both? Need to know this first as treatments are different.

If MGD, do your glands produce clear or thick oil? And you need oil-based drops - Thealoz duo does not belong this.

morning pain: proper warm compress + massage + lid scrubs twice/day help me
    a MD posted the following on 26-May-2016 in this forum which I find logical.
    I use Blephasteam/facial steamer (eye closed) before bed which serves similiar purposes (ie to get ride of dirt, residue etc).
    + swimming goggle help me.

Trying to keep "dry eyes" moist during sleep with the thickest or smoothest ointment/gel likely will not help and may worsen the problem.
    The underlying cause is generally not due to excess evaporation or inadequate water/aqueous production.
    It's the oil secretion along your lids during sleep that leads to the cascade of inflammation that cause dry eye symptoms.
    Ointments will block the flow of inflammatory components that must drain through the lacrimal system, since they won't clear by evaporation like water to any great degree.

Try letting warm water run across your closed eyelids for 2 minutes at night and
    scrub the lash line of the closed eyelids for 15-20 seconds with a mild shampoo.
    The running warm water removes the dirt, oil residue, and bacteria on your eyelids in addition to warming them. Heating pads just warm the lids.
    Unquote

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. Well, water problem is a problem, that's a fact. MGD i don't know, for now the doctor has not yet taken this option into consideration.

When I was younger, I remember waking up, and I had my eyes on the normal bundles (i don't know if this the right word), something that does not happen nowadays. I wake up with completely dry eyes.

I also forgot to say that the doctor has already put me 2 plugs and does not recommend placing the 4 plugs.

Thanks for that advice!

Comment

Hi allskin
        Best to make sure if you have MGD. Nearly 90% people have this problem but most doctors do NOT check glands.
        I visited 10 doctors and only 2 checked and only ONE told me my oil is thick.
        If your doctors do not check/press your glands for their function, find another doctor -
        this is very important otherwise glands will be gone (for good).

Comment

Oh, that's the test? They have done it, more relieved

Comment

Hi Pedro. How have you been doing? Improvals so far?

Regards,
            Andre

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the concern.

I've been getting damp heat in my eyes for 10 minutes at night and i feel a little better,

But I still continue to wake up with slightly red eyes and during some periods of the day.

Comment

Hi,

I'd like to hear your opinion on the following: is it advisable to put drops into eye, such as Thealoz Duo Gel or Siccafluid before falling asleep?

I use them during the day, but I would like to know your opinion if it is recommended to put before falling asleep.

Thanks!

Comment

Just so you know, I have all 4 ducts plugged and could not get through a day without them so if you don't improve or, God forbid, get worse you might consider plugging all 4. The other thing I find very helpful is moisture chamber glasses.

Comment

Hi, or swimming goggle for the night.

Comment

Ok thanks, but is it advisable to use the drops before falling asleep?

Comment

It is ok/good to use drops/gels before bedtime to protect cornea.
                        Best is wash eyes with warm water next morning, say 5-10 times, and before bed too.

If you have MGD, you need oil-based drops - such as EvoTears (pure oil), Systance Balance etc.
                        Last edited by MGD1701; 26-May-2017, 01:43.

Comment

Well, another appointment and this time the doctor prescribed me in addition to the Siccafluid I was already taking, he prescribed me Recugel to apply at night before bed.

In my case the doctor is not of the opinion that I should make warm compresses in my eyes because despite having dry eye, it does not lack oil of tears.

Comment

Hi!,

Long time no see.. 3 years later i'm a lot better.

Finally (2 years before today) i have discovered a doctor that diagnosed my problem and prescribed me some drops. I changed them 6 / 6 months or so.

Today i'm using Systane Ultra UD and Hyal-Drop and in case of "emergency" i use Dexafree.

For those who are suffering with this problem, please do not give up. I waited years and years, tried so many doctors and drops / treatments and it's finally giving results.

Regards!

Comment

Hi allskin. Thank you for your update. Lovely to hear how well you are doing now. Keep in touch.

Comment

Working...
                              X