Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tears Naturale discontinued? Best alternative for it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tears Naturale discontinued? Best alternative for it?

I've been using Tears Naturale II Preservative Free drops for decades. Now it looks like it's being discontinued. What's the best alternative? When I tried alternatives way in the past, I couldn't find drops that were as good, but maybe there are new products? Thanks. - Mark

Hi Mark. I believe Alcon, who makes the Tears Naturale Free preservative-free drops (active ingredients: Dextran 70 0.1%, Hypromellose 2910 0.3%), now markets the same drops under Genteal Tears. They also still have Bion Tears, which I think are the same ingredients. I've also seen a generic version of the same ingredients at CVS.

https://www.amazon.com/Genteal-Tears.../dp/B01LNQ323Q

Seems like the price per vial has increased under the Genteal Tears name too!

Tears Naturale Free is my all-time favorite drop too. Now I only use a couple drops in my scleral lenses every day, and no longer need to use the drops otherwise, but this was the only drop that was soothing and never irritated my eyes.
    Last edited by Hokucat; 16-May-2017, 13:08.

Comment

Hi - Thanks for the info. Yesterday I submitted my question to Alcon, and actually got a telephone call back. Ouch on the price increase! I bought the last 6 Tears Naturale that Walmarts had left. And while CVS online is having a 30% for an order of $49 or more, they are out of stock online for their version, and a lot of stores near me don't have it either, except for one. So I'll try those, and see how it works. Much appreciated!

Comment

Hey Mark, is there a Bed, Bath & Beyond store near you? I was just there today...they sell the Genteal Tears preservative-free vials 36-count box for $12.99, and you can use the BBB 20% off one item or $5 off $15 store coupons for this product (as well as for all drug store products BBB carries). And if you are buying several items at one time, you can use as many coupons as you need, plus they take their expired coupons. They also allow you to use manufacturers coupons at the same time.

The BBB coupons often come in the mail, are in some magazines, and also can be emailed to you if you sign up. I found buying drops from BBB using their coupons and the manufacturer coupons (when available) is the most cost effective, especially when I used to use a ton of drops. My mom and her friends all give me their BBB coupons cause otherwise they would just throw them away, so it's worth asking others for the coupons if you buy a lot of drops. The eye drop manufacturers must be making a killing off all of us :-(

I hope the CVS generic brand works just as well. It's great to have options, especially since CVS periodically has 15-30% off, like you said they do now. Too bad their generic drop is out of stock online!

Comment

I love bion tears they are the best I have gone from my local supermarket which put them on the discontinued shelf for $7.99 and today bought 3 boxes at BBB for $11.99 then used 3 coupons on three boxes. I guess everyone is selling out. Still going on Amazon though.

Comment

I've searched high and low, for a replacement for Tears naturale II, before they were bought out by ALCON, from Novartis they no longer have the same ingredients (or something). I bought a waxy version of bausch and lomb tears, they were awful. May have well put a coat of vaseline over them, however this went directly into my eye. I'm afraid of continuing to buy high priced products that are inferior. I see where people are happy with genteal and bion. But now I'm scared.

Comment

Working...
            X