Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of dry eye does computer use cause?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of dry eye does computer use cause?

Does anyone know?

I don't know if you can say that computers cause a certain type of dry eye. But I will say from my personal experience, my first symptoms were from MGD. And probably about a year after that I started having tear deficiency as well.

Have you been diagnosed with MGD or tear deficiency? Seeing a doctor would be the necessary first step.
    What you need to know about computer-induced dry eye
    Dry Eye Survey
    IPL Doctors
    Probing Doctors

Comment

FYI I posted this on another thread but here it is again. Excessive computer usage CAN cause meibomian gland dysfunction.

Here is a great article on the importance of proper meibomian gland function and the possible causes of dry eye relative to the same, for all of you who suspect that excessive computer usage has lead to your current symptoms. This of course is not exclusive to excessive computer usage but since that is the topic of this thread the association is important.

https://www.reviewofoptometry.com/ar...nd-dysfunction

Digital devices. With the ubiquity of computers, tablets and smart phones, the latest addition to the pathophysiology behind meibomian gland dysfunction is what was once called “computer vision syndrome.” The main culprit: decreased blink rate. On average, a person blinks around 15 times per minute. Studies show that during computer use, the blink rate decreases by 60% to about 4.5 blinks per minute.15 As discussed earlier, the action of blinking releases the meibum from the meibomian gland, delivering it to the lid margin. With less frequent blinking, meibum build-up creates similar long-term issues with acinar and meibomian gland atrophy.15,16

Comment

Here is an article on computer eye strain that might provide some tips on how to minimize computer related eye problems. Also I saw a blurb on TV where they have special colored lenses to filter out blue light I think it was that causes eye problems. Apparently there are special eye glasses for computer use as well that help.

http://visionsource.com/blog/tips-fo...er-eye-strain/

Comment

Would drinking fish oil help clear out the blockage or do I need to do hot compresses?

Comment

As others have said, staring at a computer, reading etc. causes us to blink less. Lacrimal glands produced tears and when we blink it recounts the eyes with tears Tears evaporate rapidly so If your meibomian glands are not producing oil, the tears evaporate even faster, and if your lacrimal glands aren't producing enough tears your really in trouble. Inflamation can affect both oil and tear production. Your meibomian glands can also be blocked off, manual probing can help. Fish oil and hot compresses didn't do anything for me until I treated the inflammation and conrneal damage from lasik with amniotic stem cell transplants, and all my oil glands were blocked off and although the procedure is controversial probing helps a lot. Now hot compresses make a world of difference. Amazon sells chewable fish oil gummies that taste great, try those if the capsules give you trouble.

Comment

Working...
            X