Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E-Eye/IRPL (intense regulated pulsed light) for MGD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Eye/IRPL (intense regulated pulsed light) for MGD?

Hi everyone,

I've been recommended to do a full (3 to 4 sessions) treatment of E-Eye (IRPL) by my eye doctor who specializes in dry eyes and MGD. This to "speed up" my recovery and getting relief faster. I'm currently doing warm compresses, massage and lid hygien once a day, as well as taking Omega-3.

I do have some questions about E-Eye/IRPL and would really like some answers:
    1. Has anyone here gone through this kind of treatment? How was it?
    2. How does it differ from a "regular" IPL? For example, does it close abnormal blood vessels that secrete inflammatory mediators like a normal IPL? What's the difference in between them in the way they effect the skin and the nerves around the eyes, as well the Meibomian glands? Pros and cons?
    3. Is it safe? I think it's considered safer than a "regular" IPL, but then again, does it have the same therapeutic effect (and perhaps even better)?

Thank you!
    // NordicEyes

The actual IPL is nothing. Gel under the eye, laser back and forth. Maybe a little zap here and there. (Bonus: it improves the skin quality under they eye.) The manual expression that follows hurts like the dickens. That's the big con, aside from the expense. Resist the urge to back away. Bring something to squeeze. It zaps blood vessels. It doesn't get close enough to the meibomian glands to do anything to the glands directly, except it does melt the oil. So do you have ocular rosacea? Those are the patients that get results more often. This is not for patients with aqueous deficiency. In my opinion it is safe, and I would do it again. I think this E-Eye reference just means that it's for eyes. Do four, not three. Search here for E-IPL, IPL, E-Eye. There is info, and I think it's all the same thing. And google Dr Toyos. He invented it.
    Last edited by PG; 15-Jun-2017, 20:15.

Comment

Originally posted by PG View Post
      The actual IPL is nothing. Gel under the eye, laser back and forth. Maybe a little zap here and there. (Bonus: it improves the skin quality under they eye.) The manual expression that follows hurts like the dickens. That's the big con, aside from the expense. Resist the urge to back away. Bring something to squeeze. It zaps blood vessels. It doesn't get close enough to the meibomian glands to do anything to the glands directly, except it does melt the oil. So do you have ocular rosacea? Those are the patients that get results more often. This is not for patients with aqueous deficiency. In my opinion it is safe, and I would do it again. I think this E-Eye reference just means that it's for eyes. Do four, not three. Search here for E-IPL, IPL, E-Eye. There is info, and I think it's all the same thing. And google Dr Toyos. He invented it.
      Okey, so it might be worth it. Nothing to lose? I'm just a bit worried there's a risk (even though small) that it might be harmfull and make things worse. For example by damaging the nerves to complete failure and "over-zapping" the blood vessels.

I don't know if I have ocular rosacea, but I definitely have telangiectasia and prominent blood vessels on inner conjunctiva and eyelid margin. Could also be from the dryness and friction I guess, but might be rosacea.

Anyone else who has experience in treatment with E-Eye/IRPL for MGD?

Comment

Update? Im gonna try it tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
        X