Advice wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice wanted

Don't know what to do and because money is tight don't want to/can't afford to make the wrong decision.

I have complex vision - high myopic, astigmatism (and now, possibly irregular astigmatism due to corneal warping), and amblyopia/convergence insufficiency - which causes a lazy eye/double-vision). Got worse in recent years but achieved relatively okay vision with rigid gas permeable contacts.

Dry eye has now got so bad, corneas damaged, and can't really wear contacts at all. Desperate to see a decent optometrist experienced enough to fit glasses that will give me as functional vision as possible (will never be as good as with contacts).

I've had bad and good experiences with independent opticians. Some are very good (like my old one), but others aren't and are more concerned about profits than anything else. But I keep getting told that large chains won't have the expertise for my complex issues. My current glasses are dreadful. The vision is so warped so I'm desperate for something better. I'm on the waiting list for nhs optometrist (hopefully for scleral contacts but if nothing else they can fit complex vision glasses) but the waiting time is several months so I want to get something to keep me going.

Has anyone had reasaonably good experience at a chain optician? I know they're franchises so some are good, others not. I think my local has a decent reputation - but not sure if they are equipped to deal with my prescription.

There is an independent nearish me (although nowhere near as close as the chain one) with experience in complex fittings, but I'm a bit put off because they give different booking availability depending on whether you are eligible for free nhs sight tests or are getting a private one. I get free tests because of my vision. I can't help thinking they offer a lesser service to nhs patients - perhaps they see nhs patients are poor and "no use" to them in terms of possibly buying expensive frames, etc? I called to ask but the receptionist was either confused or didn't want to answer.

If you call again maybe ask to be put through to one of the opticians who would see you as they would likely be able to answer complex questions. Or if they have an email you could try that. I emailed a opticians that does scleral lenses and the secretary / receptionist forwarded my email to one of the opticians who was able to tell me if they could accommodate my complicated case.
    Sufferer due to Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis.

Comment

Thanks. Done some more research, made more phone calls. Looks like I'll never get really great vision with glasses, especially as I'm so used to the wonderful clarity of vision rgps give you.I can get something better than my current glasses though (3 separate places have told me the fit was wrong, which I've always suspected). I'm going to risk my local chain. They seemed quite decent when I went in (and have some optometrists who also work in the hospital eye services).

All evidence suggests sclerals are my best option for dealing with severe dry eye and complex vision - but I'm facing a wait of several months to be seen (and then I guess a month or longer for fittings) so I need glasses in the meantime and as a back-up.

I'm considering private scleral options as well. Not keen at all on the local independent opticians (that offer sclerals). I'll have to travel further to a different one. A pain but I want to feel confident I'm being seen by someone I feel comfortable with and trust (especially if I fork out for sclerals).

Receptionist at the independent near me was so unhelpful and it's put me off going there. Told me all optometrists and dispensing opticians were too busy to talk to me (at any time). Quite different from the my local chain - they put me through to someone who helped with my queries.. I think the independent decided I wasn't worth their time as soon as they found out I was eligible for NHS eye tests (due to my vision). Perhaps they only want people who they think will be buying their expensive designer frames, I don't know.

Comment

I had the opposite experience and had an email conversation with the dispensing optician before booking an appt. In the long run you will probably spend more than someone with a more basic prescription. I spent a fortune at mine.

Comment

Really is pot-luck with optometrists isn't it. Whether private or a chain it seems. I guess because the chains are often franchises so it varies depending where you live. My local chain has hospital optometrists working there so I'm going to be seen by one of those. They also were very helpful (similar to your experience above). Spent time on the phone with me discussing my situation. I have to postpone being seen for now though because I've got several abrasions (again) in my bad eye - and they told me the test wouldn't be accurate until they had healed.

Comment

Working...
          X