Dry eye just with makeup? I’m sad and depressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry eye just with makeup? I’m sad and depressed

So I’ve been taking 3000 mg a day of fish oil and 3000 mg of flax seed oil. Plus I started with vitamin A and cod liver oil vitamins too last week. It took around 4 weeks to work but finally I’m starting to feel a little like my old self again. I barely use any eye drops now, and I don’t use the Genteal I loved so much cause for don’t know why but know every time I use it at night time I wake up with my eyes almost swollen (I get that feeling) and they’re just itchy the whole day..

anyway, I’m so depressed cause I can’t wear any makeup.. like absolutely NOTHING.. as soon as I start with eyeshadow my eyes start to feel dry around the corners..I think it messes up my tear film or something like that. I’m depressed, I’m sad and I don’t know what to do anymore. Everyone keeps telling me just to use a couple of eye drops 30 minutes before applying it, but still it doesn’t work. My doctor told me yesterday to use a COLD compress before applying it too, and that should close some conducts I guess and allowed me to use it. I’m so sad.. please tell me there’s hope.
    please someone give me hope, tell me a trick or something I can do to wear makeup please even just advice

Hi Sophie. It's good news at least that you are doing better.

If you were using the Genteal Severe Eye Gel, which is supposed to be preservative-free once in the eye, know that others have also developed an allergic reaction to it after extended use. It was my favorite too, very soothing. One time I started getting an allergic reaction similar to what you describe, so I stopped using it for awhile and instead used the Genteal Tears preservative-free vials (was previously called Tears Naturelle), which also has the hypromellose active ingredient like the gel, but is not thick. Then I went back to the gel and used it more sparingly and not as often, and did not have the allergic reaction again.

You might also try rinsing your eyes a few times a day with preservative-free saline, to refresh your eyes and get out the residual from the Genteal or other drops you use that may irritate your eyes. I use Purilens PF saline since I already use it for my sclerals lenses, but there are various brands and sizes available:

https://www.dryeyeshop.com/mobile/pr...ines-c162.aspx

When I do wear eye shadow, I just use Lancome's Aquatique waterproof cream eyeshadow base, which comes in various shades. It stays put quite well since it's actually a base, so does not get into my eyes, but I still make sure not to put it too close to the lash line. Perhaps see if it works for you:

https://www.lancome-usa.com/170498.html

As your eyes continue to get better, you'll likely have more makeup options. Am glad things are improving.

Comment

Thank you so much for replying. I do feel a lot better. It is so absolutely insane how better I am with vitamins, I encourage everyone reading this just to try it for a few weeks, even if it doesn’t work for you it won’t harm un any way. And they are so cheap, they have a BOGO at CVS and Walgreens for vitamins (at least in my area, in Virginia)
      i am praying that with time lll go back to normal.

And me thank you so much for the makeup advice, I feel bad cause I have tons of eyeshadow I didn’t want to spend any more money on anything else, but maybe I’ll try the cream, thanks

Comment

Are you using primer with eyeshadows to minimize fallout? You just may be allergic to the myriad harsh chemicals in eyeshadows and cosmetics. People can develop allergies to anything at any time.

Comment

Yes I’ve had tried at least 4 primers, including an Estée Lauder one which is expensive and “ hypoallergenic”

Comment

Hi Sophie
            Found this interesting article on make-up, which might help you.
            http://eyetubeod.com/2017/02/when-be...centerofpa.com

Comment

Thank you so much

Comment

Hi Sophie
                Dont mean to scare you, but you might be interested in knowing:

''I’m often asked about make up and mascara and how it might affect the population of mites. Mascara is made up of pigmentation, oil, and waxes. Since oil is part of a mite diet, greasy or waterproof makeup might very well be a treat for them. It’s been suggested that the mite eggs can live in makeup, allowing them to spread even more. In addition to toothbrushes, contact lenses, and underwear (!!!!!), add makeup to the list of things you should NOT share.''

full text:http://www.tfosblog.org/?p=446
                Scott E. Schachter, O.D.
                TFOS Member
                Vision Source Administrator

Comment

Dear God I’m going to read this right now

Comment

Originally posted by MGD1701 View Post
                    Hi Sophie
                    Dont mean to scare you, but you might be interested in knowing:

''I’m often asked about make up and mascara and how it might affect the population of mites. Mascara is made up of pigmentation, oil, and waxes. Since oil is part of a mite diet, greasy or waterproof makeup might very well be a treat for them. It’s been suggested that the mite eggs can live in makeup, allowing them to spread even more. In addition to toothbrushes, contact lenses, and underwear (!!!!!), add makeup to the list of things you should NOT share.''

full text:http://www.tfosblog.org/?p=446
                    Scott E. Schachter, O.D.
                    TFOS Member
                    Vision Source Administrator

I do get those “blepharitis” bumps in the eyes every once in a while, I don’t have any of the other symptoms, do I still have blepharitis then? I have never been diagnosed with that.

Comment

Hi Sophia, these short videos might help you further:

Help Patients Maintain Clean Lid Margins
                      ---- by Leslie O'Dell, OD, Thomas Kislan, OD, Whitney Hauser, OD
                      to share insight into how he educates patients about the potential ocular problems with facial cleansers and cosmetics.
                      Dr. Kislan explains how makeup can affect patients’ lid margins, which can lead to obstructive problems such as meibomian gland dysfunction.
                      http://eyetubeod.com/series/she-said...n-lid-margins/

Additionally, Drs. Hauser and O’Dell share tips on how to inform patients of potential contributors to eye redness,
                      such as improper make-up removal.
                      http://eyetubeod.com/series/she-said...-eye-redness-/

-----------------------------------------------------

Cosmetics: They're Not All Beautiful
                      Amy Gallant Sullivan, executive director of the Tear Film and Ocular Surface Society, joins Whitney Hauser, OD, and Leslie O'Dell, OD, to discuss the connection between ocular health and cosmetics. Ms. Sullivan points out that this topic touches both men and women, and provides Drs. O'Dell and Hauser with pearls to apply during patient encounters.

http://eyetubeod.com/series/she-said...ll-beautiful-/

----------------
                      This video, courtesy of Leslie O'Dell, OD, shows makeup buildup in the eye.
                      http://eyetubeod.com/video/makeup-buildup
                      Last edited by MGD1701; 24-Oct-2017, 13:59.

Comment

I just talk to my doctor, and he thinks I’m crazy! Basically he said he didn’t notice anything wrong with my glands. I think he really believes I’m just making this up

Comment

I had that problem at the beginning. Noone belived me. For a minute I was starting to think I was crazy myself. I googled doctors specializing in dry eye and there is a site that lists all the doctors in your area who specialize in MGD and dry eye. Those doctors will believe you.

Comment

Just stay away from any makeup that contains parabens like butylparaben, ethylparaben, isobutylparaben, methylparaben, propylparaben. Parabens have a weak estrogenic effects. I think maybe it's not so much the one cosmetic with a paraben ingredient, but the combination of all the cosmetics. It was in my toner, eyeshadow, mascara, eye cream, eyeliner, lipstick, deodorant,,,, The FDA says it is safe but I could not find anything about using many products containing parabens simultaneously, and estrogen does have an inflammatory effect on the ocular surface.

Maybe a liquid eye shadow? The wet kind in a tube that you brush on with a sponge. I tried many "organic" and "hypo allergenic" mascaras and they did not work. Great Lash Maybelline, the one in the green and pink container did not bother my eyes, but is sucks. I read that waterproof mascara is better because with regular mascara the little pieces drop off into your eye. If you search mascara on this site, you will get hits.

Comment

Right now I have little clear bump on my eye, it’s pretty big it bothers my eye when I blink.
                              And I googled those doctors and the near one to me it’s about 4 hours away aaand the next appt it’s in January...

im betting for my blood tests to come back next week maybe there’s something wrong in there!

Comment

Working...
                              X