Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Eye from heavy computer use, please help me..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Eye from heavy computer use, please help me..

Hello, Firstly i just want to thank everyone who has helped on this site..

Now i would like to go straight to the point since i can't spend much time in front of a screen because of my eyes.

It started in mid-september when i noticed my eyes were becoming so itchy and tired especially infront of a computer screen.. I thought it was something i could just sleep over and be fine by morning, but it got worse since i work on the computer almost everyday. I'm a student but i'm also a web designer/developer. So i did any job i got when i'm free and sometimes at night before going to bed.. I wasn't over stressing my eyes untill i got a job in July with an organisation which they allowed me do from school..

The new job made me stay online as much as possible and i was really enjoying my work untill the tired-eyes stuff started in september. When it started i could manage it but it got to the point when my eyes became very sensitive to light and i couldn't go outside nor use my phone/PC/TV anymore.. Imagine i web designer's life without a Computer or phone.. I cannot watch the TV also.. I wasn't that much HEAVY computer user untill i got this new job which was so demanding.

I've been to two Eye Doctors who gave me different prescriptions. The first one didn't even seem to know what i was suffering from after all my explanations. The second one didn't call it dry eye or any stuff i hoped..

He(the second Doctor) just gave me three different eye drops, none of which is an artificial tear drop solution or a lubricant.. Here is a breakdown of what the drops contain

Drop 1(10ml bottle): Betamethasone Sodium Phosphate and Neomycin Phosphate
    Drop 2(10ml bottle): Cromolyn Sodium with Benzalkonium Chloride solution as preservative.
    Drop 3(5ml bottle): Diclofenac Sodium..

I'm not sure if These drops do anything..

I've also noticed some kind of hissing sounds at the back of my head/neck when i move my arms and it used to seem connected with my right eye(the itches and pains are also worse on this eye) when the eye problem was still severe but after close to Two months of staying off the computer, the sensitivity to light has reduced and i can now manage very few minutes on my Computer and can manage to go outside with Sunshades. Also the sounds are no longer connected with my eyes and are only heard at the back of my head/neck when i move my arms.

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

1. Since i've made some positive progress by staying Off my computer, can i be completely fine if i take more break? Maybe One or Two more Months.

2. I'm considering some Artificial Tear drops to help me and i'm wondering if i could just prescribe anyone for myself or if it a MUST that a doctor prescribes it. I'm a student and don't have much money so i'm considering the ones with preservatives but i will use them only 3 or 4 times daily.

3. Is it these 2 months of heavy usage that caused me this problem?

4. Is there a specific type of dry eye caused by heavy computer usage?

5. Do you have anything to say concerning these eye drops i mentioned above that were prescribed by the doctor?

It's also important to note that i'm just 21 Years old.. I'm too young to live without the TV/PHONE/PC so please any help will be appreciated..

Also, i sincerely apologise if my long post made you stress your eyes (i know exactly how it feels to read posts on the internet with painful eyes)

Please any answer to any of my above question(even just one of them) will be very much appreciated.. THANKS..

its atlteast 4 months since the body changes after 3 months minimum. I have it since 2 years and a half and yes its hard. YOu need to stay away from screens and work on nutrition.

Comment

I'm the same with screens, it's U.V rays from your screen also the sheer glare/brightness
      It's a big shock, but you're gonna have to ditch computers
      How did people survive without computers or television ? Lol
      I go to work, get home, then rest my eyes for an hour(nap) , then tea. Evenings are radio ()talksport or read a book in a room with only half light, and no glare coming back of the page. No longer miss T.V or bloody computers. People will tell you. It's blink rate as your not blinking cos your concentrating. Not in my experience it's not!.. it's U.V rays and light. Photophobia due to dry eyes.
      Your tear film should protect your eyes from this, but our tear film ain't good enough. Think if it as suncream (tear film) mines a factor one!.
      Therefore my eyes get sunburn, and artificial drops, are my suncream. Try sunglasses ?. But ensure they are polarized !!. Normal sunglasses block light only!!. And not harmful U.V rays. Polarized was created by the company 'polaroid' same price as regular sunglasses,. I've got a nice designer pair by Porsche. And they look the part, if I do day so myself.

I've discovered, that today, I can still be paying for yesterdays exertions. As one night's sleep ain't good enough if I've overdone it with my eyes.
      This time of year with the poor,light , as a pose to summer my eyes don't get hammerd as as much by light and with avoiding light thats too bright, I'm much better the following day. Unfortunately in summer I suffer mentaly and end up on anti depressants. Venlflaxine does not dry my eyes at all.
      Last edited by Colin P; 22-Dec-2013, 10:59.

Comment

Regarding Q2. DON'T use preservative drops.
        Don't restrict yourself to 3-4 times a day. Use them whenever you want no two days are the same,mentioned you can get off to a bad start coof the day before . Drops do you no harm whatsoever, dont ve scared of using them. You can buy your owt preservative free drops no p roblram no need to be prescribed. In uk, the hospitals use celluvisc 1%, which is £7 a box.

Comment

I agree Colin, the problem is brightness because our eyes arent protected for that. Long usage with high brightness will cause dry eyes as simple as that.

Comment

How about constantly using Mobile phones? Is it not the same as constantly using the computer?

Comment

Originally posted by Martins88 View Post
              How about constantly using Mobile phones? Is it not the same as constantly using the computer?

Darn !! .. I knew I was doing something wrong..
              Lol.. I put my phone upto my ear, should I be holding it in front of ny eyes
              A conputer screen is usually as big as your head, and unless you've got a huge phone?.
              Then it's much less glare. Or do what I'm doing right now, and tilt it slightly away.

Light, I doubt will give you dry eyes??. But dry eyes, will allow the light through to cause nerve./dry eye pain.

Comment

ok so i have a question-what type of pc do you use ? since we are on here obviously we all use the pc at times!! i am wondering what type is best for dry eyes. i have sjogrens syndrome so my eyes are a nightmare.. they hurt even when not looking at a pc..
                is a larger or smaller screen better?? right now i use a sony vaio laptop but am probably going to have to buy a new one eventually or tablet.. what is best for dry eyes?? the least amount of glare , etc? thanks!!

Comment

Yes it is....when I say screens....I say everything. You neeed CLEAR abstinence from screens.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin P View Post

Darn !! .. I knew I was doing something wrong..
                    Lol.. I put my phone upto my ear, should I be holding it in front of ny eyes
                    A conputer screen is usually as big as your head, and unless you've got a huge phone?.
                    Then it's much less glare. Or do what I'm doing right now, and tilt it slightly away.

Light, I doubt will give you dry eyes??. But dry eyes, will allow the light through to cause nerve./dry eye pain.
                    No, i meant like when you surf the net constantly with your phone.. I have two phones, the first one has a 4.7-inch display and the second one has a smaller 3.2-inch display
                    Last edited by Martins88; 25-Dec-2013, 10:27.

Comment

Originally posted by karensumner View Post
                      ok so i have a question-what type of pc do you use ? since we are on here obviously we all use the pc at times!! i am wondering what type is best for dry eyes. i have sjogrens syndrome so my eyes are a nightmare.. they hurt even when not looking at a pc..
                      is a larger or smaller screen better?? right now i use a sony vaio laptop but am probably going to have to buy a new one eventually or tablet.. what is best for dry eyes?? the least amount of glare , etc? thanks!!
                      I use a 17" HP laptop and i think if you need less glare, you should consider anti-glare covers for your screen.. There's also an app named DIMMER which helps reduce the screen brightness to a much lower level than the OS itself can do.. You can get it here http://www.nelsonpires.com/software/dimmer/

Comment

Originally posted by dryeye4ever View Post
                        Yes it is....when I say screens....I say everything. You neeed CLEAR abstinence from screens.
                        WHAT!!! How am i gonna visit this forum? Or even make phone calls or use the ATM? Anyway, will total abstinence solve the problem?

Comment

WHAT!!! How am i gonna visit this forum? Or even make phone calls or use the ATM? Anyway, will total abstinence solve the problem?
                          Buddy, I know it sounds tough but thats what you have to do, A TOTAL abstinence. Im keeping silent but you dont know how dry eyes have ruined my life over the past years. It made me miss 1-2 years of school before I finally decided to go back and I still have some difficulties sometimes. I asked my doctor how it was possible to stay away from technology for 3-4 months the doctor said he didnt know himself as it sounds impossible. Im 23-24, this is absolutely crazy. I get so pissed off when friends or family members think im using this as an excuse, I find its more of a lack of respect then anything. Yes, I agree, Dry eyes isnt a legit excuse to think I shouldnt be doing something useful of my life but its still an obstacle. The only things I enjoy is computer work whether its accounting, Internet marketing. Computer science is way too techy for me. Imagine I go to college for 3-4 years...i would live with dry eyes for 3-4 years and having few possibilities to work after the degree because of my eyes. Its not an excuse, its an obstacle. I still want to go to college but im doing a short training right now.

If it was an excuse I wouldnt have went back to school.....its really frustrating. You realize how people are selfish and should just shut just their damn mouth sometimes. It would be like saying `` hey martins, you are a loser you do nothing of your life `` and you reply to them `` hey , i have an eye problem right now, I want to do something of my life, its just that my job requires healthy eyes ``.
                          Last edited by dryeye4ever; 25-Dec-2013, 16:04.

Comment

Originally posted by dryeye4ever View Post
                            Buddy, I know it sounds tough but thats what you have to do, A TOTAL abstinence. Im keeping silent but you dont know how dry eyes have ruined my life over the past years. It made me miss 1-2 years of school before I finally decided to go back and I still have some difficulties sometimes. I asked my doctor how it was possible to stay away from technology for 3-4 months the doctor said he didnt know himself as it sounds impossible. Im 23-24, this is absolutely crazy. I get so pissed off when friends or family members think im using this as an excuse, I find its more of a lack of respect then anything. Yes, I agree, Dry eyes isnt a legit excuse to think I shouldnt be doing something useful of my life but its still an obstacle. The only things I enjoy is computer work whether its accounting, Internet marketing. Computer science is way too techy for me. Imagine I go to college for 3-4 years...i would live with dry eyes for 3-4 years and having few possibilities to work after the degree because of my eyes. Its not an excuse, its an obstacle. I still want to go to college but im doing a short training right now.

If it was an excuse I wouldnt have went back to school.....its really frustrating. You realize how people are selfish and should just shut just their damn mouth sometimes. It would be like saying `` hey martins, you are a loser you do nothing of your life `` and you reply to them `` hey , i have an eye problem right now, I want to do something of my life, its just that my job requires healthy eyes ``.
                            Wow.. But Did you get your dry eye from the computer? And if you're to go on this Computer break, will you be dieting? If yes, what kind of meals? Will you be using the omega3 supplement?

Comment

Wow.. But Did you get your dry eye from the computer? And if you're to go on this Computer break, will you be dieting? If yes, what kind of meals? Will you be using the omega3 supplement?
                              Yes...from the laptop. I always had an lcd screen when I was younger. I knew something wasnt good for the eyes but never been advised by doctors or etc. Brightness is absolutely bad for your eyes. MY laptop had over brightness due to a screen repair. You would need to abstinante and diet such as vit b, C and omega 3. Just a complete diet that also focuses on Milk too. You need fat stuff. Just proves you how physical and mental health is more important then money but society will never tell you this.

Comment

Working...
                              X