No tears in left eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No tears in left eye

My left eye does not seem to make tears anymore. Restasis and Xiidra offer very short term relief. I've started occasionally using a Lacrisert in that eye, but Lacrisert comes with side effects. I also use Serum eye drops and Oasis Plus tears throughout the day. I seem to be putting in drops every hour. Is there anything new to try?

Hi,
    Restasis and Xiidra: You use both and still not help? Maybe try:
    plugs, if you dont have inflammation issue.
    trueTear (produce nature tear etc - it is NOT a drop) - only available for some months
    healthy diet, omeag 3 etc
    and of couorse identify root causes so better results are possible
    Last edited by MGD1701; 26-Dec-2017, 16:06.

Comment

Hi MGD1701. 30 years ago both my upper and lower punctums were lasered shut so no need for plugs. I take MANY different omega 3's and eat a very healthy diet. Hot compresses in am, Exfoliate oil glands, everything. Restasis and Xiidra only work for about an hour. Much evaporative tears and very little production. I have Lagopthalmous and incomplete blinking and closure. This also contributes. What is true Tear (not a drop). What do you mean by only available for some months? Not out yet? In Europe? What is this about? Thank you

Comment

Hi
        TrueTear, the 1st Intranasal Neurostimulating Device Proven to Temporarily Increase Tear Production
        (in fact, it increases production of 'all' layers - what I have read).
        It is pretty new and seems only available in USA.
        Allergan TrueTear - A New Solution for Treating Dry Eye Disease

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbNPGg60Rpc

Maybe identify problems or find a knowledgable dr with solutions would help.
        Inflammation: if you have such issues, put it under control is very important.

-------
        happen to find this article (dated Dec. 2017) from

Marguerite McDonald, MD, FACS, with OCLI on Long Island, NY, is clinical professor of Ophthalmology at NYU Langone Medical Center, NY, and clinical professor of Ophthalmology at Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana.

3. Treatments for severe or non-responsive disease

Therapeutic contact lenses. These can be either soft-bandage lenses or rigid scleral lenses.

Amniotic membrane treatment. For approximately five days, the patient wears a membrane on one cornea at a time (they blur vision); as they dissolve, the membranes deliver fetal healing factors to the cornea. BioTissue produces a popular version; the membrane is suspended on a thin PMA ring that is placed on the cornea without the need for a bandage contact lens over it.

Punctal cautery. This is a simple office procedure for severe cases of dry eye that permanently closes the puncti.

ACTH injections. Acthar is a bi-weekly injection, self-administered, that causes the patient’s body to produce more endogenous steroid. It is FDA-approved for inflammatory conditions of the eye, including keratitis sicca.
        Unquote full text
        https://www.ophthalmologymanagement..../december-2017
        Last edited by MGD1701; 27-Dec-2017, 07:08.

Comment

Working...
        X