Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long Term Steroid Use - How to taper and should I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Term Steroid Use - How to taper and should I?

My eyes have been extremely bad for about 2.5 years. I started out with severe dry eye (and dry mouth) which I strongly believe was triggered by Retin A and Tazorac use. I now have very painful corneal neuropathy characterized by burning, raw feeling, itchy, dry and gritty eyes. I have tried just about everything, including Gabapentin, Lyrica and now Cymbalta which I cannot tolerate. I wear moisture chamber glasses all of the time and an EyeSeals mask at night. Nothing helps EXCEPT STEROID DROPS. I have been on steroid drops for about 2 years now and I want to wean off. My doctor feels I should stay on them because they help and nothing else does. If I try to taper, my symptoms become 20 times worse, completely unbearable and I cannot function at all. I had to quit my job a year ago and my short term disability has ran out. Does anyone have any experience with tapering off of steroids after long term use? If I can get through the pain/rebound affect, will I eventually get back to "normal" bad? Again, my doctor who is a professor at a teaching facility says steroids are safe to use long term in severe cases as long as my eyes are monitored for pressure. Still, I am worried about the risk of cataracts, glaucoma and adverse affects from the preservative BAK.

Autologous serum drops will be helpfull with your symptoms and you may need less steroids drops. What kind of steroids and how often you use them?

Comment

Working...
    X