Starbursts and ghosting, dry eye sensation without actual dryness.. HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ebi1368 View Post

Thanks for the tip. I will start wearing swimming goggle.

Just wondering, what is the cause of your dryness? Has anybody told you, you have cornea irregularities?

I have been to 3 different doctors and they all tell me, my cornea is fine and HOA is not my main issue.
    Thanks
    My dryness is due to inflammation from sleeping with my eyes open (nocturnal lagopthalmos). I have some corneal irregularity from an abrasion I got that started this mess.

Comment

I also wear swim goggles when I shower and I literally won't leave home without it if I'm traveling or staying at a hotel.

Comment

Hi just following up how is your eyes doing one week after probing?
        Last edited by ebi1368; 01-Sep-2018, 19:47.

Comment

I would also love to hear how you are doing phenix01 !

Comment

ONE WEEK PROBING UPDATE

One week after probing, everything is great. Before Lipiflow, my eye comfort was 2/10 (can barely go to work), after Lipiflow I was 4/10, After probing I was 8/10, one week after probing I'm 8-9/10 depending on days (normal life). I work in front of a computer screen all day an can work late no problem now. So I am very happy with the result. My eyes are dry sometimes in the morning, I suspect that my eye don't shut fully when I sleep. Also mr Dr. said he never had to re-do probing with his patients (if they do warm compresses once a day for life)..!

VISUAL DISTORTION ADVICE

There has been some discussion on visual distortion. For those having it, I'd recommend this test. Look at lights where you have a distortion (halo, starbursts, etc.). Use a lubricating eye drop in each eye then without blinking look at the light again (you may blink once doesnt matter). If the visual distortion subside for a couple seconds (which is my case), then you know the issue is on the surface of your cornea. What happens is the drop fills the irregularities on the surface of your cornea and masks the irregularities, providing a smooth surface for a couple of seconds, until gravity removes the drop from an even position on your eye. If problem is on the surface, this is encouraging since PRK could correct this. In my case, I will have ot go forward with it since I can't even drive at night since Lasik. So I'm hoping for the best. It will probably be in fall, I will keep you guys updated in due time.

My Lasik surgeons kept telling me everything is fine. They are either not equipped to make a diagnostic (weird) or not honest and unwilling to admit that Lasik failed (even more weird and disturbing). My experience with eye doctors is: you need to see many of them, the level of proficiency varies a lot.

I would never recommend Lasik to anyone, way too risky. It may work with some people, but overall it is WAY to risky, and Lasik doctors don't tell you all of the potential risks, in fact they tell you nothing at all.

Comment

Thanks for update phenix01. I am glad you are feeling better.

I am wondering if your oil gland were blocked or it was just thick oil? I do not think I have blocked oil gland as I see little dots on my lid margin but it is so thick. When my doctor express my gland they are like toothpaste.

On visual distortion, I do notice that when I put drop and I do not blink it subsides my visual distortion. Do you know how long after lasik you can have PRK?

Since you have almost normal tears, have you seen any difference in visual distortion?
              Last edited by ebi1368; 02-Sep-2018, 09:42.

Comment

For me glands were blocked and the oil that I produce was good (olive-oil like). Apparently fish oil can help to make your oil smoother.

Not sure how long you need to wait for PRK to be done after Lasik. I'm also not sure what causes these irregularities. For me my view was perfect right after lasik and irregularities showe up 3-4 months after. What I get from this is it takes time before it is all settled down, and intuitively I'd want it to stop moving before I get PRK. With that in mind, waiting one year may be safe imo.

Comment

I just found this paper about doing PRK after lasik. It says min 2 years:

https://www.healio.com/ophthalmology...nt-after-lasik

Comment

Originally posted by phenix01 View Post
                    For me glands were blocked and the oil that I produce was good (olive-oil like). Apparently fish oil can help to make your oil smoother.

Not sure how long you need to wait for PRK to be done after Lasik. I'm also not sure what causes these irregularities. For me my view was perfect right after lasik and irregularities showe up 3-4 months after. What I get from this is it takes time before it is all settled down, and intuitively I'd want it to stop moving before I get PRK. With that in mind, waiting one year may be safe imo.
                    So your glands were blocked but were making good olive oil. Did the doctor give a reason why the glands blocked?

Did you go to Dr. ****** in Tampa or to a local doctor for the probing?

Very good info here.

Comment

Also, I just searched the forum to see if anybody has the same symptoms as I have. I found this post:

http://forum.dryeyezone.com/forum/ar...s-and-dry-eyes

This lady did not have lasik or anything but since her mgd started, she got all these visual symptoms. I think everybody has some irregularities in their cornea surface but if you have a good tear film it can cover it.

Have you noticed any difference in your visual symtoms? Maybe it is too soon to tell.

Comment

I went to a doctor in FL but not ******, PM me if you want info. After Lipiflow I had some glands unblocked and those were producing quality oil according to my Lipiflow Dr.

The reason why glands blocked is one no one seems to be clear about. In my case I do a lot of computer so less blinking, which was probably a contributing factor. My theory is that Lasik is also a major factor since your nerves get cut = less tearing and blinking = oil is still and clogs the glands.

For people in front of a monitor all day like me, warm compresses every other day is the best thing to do apparently to prevent clogging. Definitely not enough awareness out there.

Comment

Originally posted by ebi1368 View Post
                          Also, I just searched the forum to see if anybody has the same symptoms as I have. I found this post:

http://forum.dryeyezone.com/forum/ar...s-and-dry-eyes

This lady did not have lasik or anything but since her mgd started, she got all these visual symptoms. I think everybody has some irregularities in their cornea surface but if you have a good tear film it can cover it.

Have you noticed any difference in your visual symtoms? Maybe it is too soon to tell.
                          Yes this is also a factor that could cause distortion, which is what I was hoping for in my case. But I learned about those irregularities and now that I have better tear film I still have the distortions, so tear film was not the main issue in my case.

Comment

Originally posted by phenix01 View Post

Yes this is also a factor that could cause distortion, which is what I was hoping for in my case. But I learned about those irregularities and now that I have better tear film I still have the distortions, so tear film was not the main issue in my case.
                            I see. You may want to do aa lipiview before doing PRK. You may feel more comfortable but your tear film is not normal (100nm) yet. Just something to think about.

Comment

Hi phenix01

Thanks again for update.

Several mentioned in the forum that if one has scar tissue, probing helps.
                              Is that your case too? or just blinking issue? How did dr scar tissue then?
                              Just try to figure out how exactly probing helps.Thank you!

Comment

My Dr didn't seem to think I had scar tissue, simply clogging from oil that became like a crust.

Comment

Working...
                                X