My Experience with Refresh Optive Mega-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Experience with Refresh Optive Mega-3

During the first couple years that I got dry eye, I used a lot of artificial tears. I experimented with a lot of different brands, including Blink, Systane, and Refresh, but I can't honestly say any of those drops helped me.

A few months ago when my MGD worsened, I tried to find an artificial tear that was designed for MGD specifically. Two brands that I tried were Retaine MGD and Soothe XP. Even though these drops supposedly had lipid components, neither seemed to really help me much. And when I started using sclerals, these milky white drops stuck to my sclerals a little and clouded my vision until I cleaned the lenses.

A few weeks ago, I saw a brand of drops at Target that I had researched online, called Refresh Optive Mega-3. These drops are advertised as having components from the three major parts of the tear film - mucus, aqueous, and lipid layers. I thought, "what the heck, I'll try em out."

My eye pain improved by a moderate amount after putting the drops in. Over the course of the next week while using these drops, my pain level remained low. After I exhausted my supply, my pain started to increase again (most notably during the latter half of the day). I bought a new supply online, and when they arrived I immediately put in a few drops and felt relief. And once again, while using these drops over the course of several days, my pain is low and very tolerable. As a bonus, the drops are clear so they don't cloud my vision when I have sclerals in.

I think these are the first artificial tears that have actually helped me. I believe (and my doctor agrees with me) that the oily component seems to stay on the surface of the eye for a long time. Those on here with bad MGD should give these drops a try.
    What you need to know about computer-induced dry eye
    Dry Eye Survey
    IPL Doctors
    Probing Doctors

Hey Pythonidler,

Glad to hear the Mega 3 drops are working well for you. I used them last summer after they were introduced, but had to go back to Refresh Optive Advanced drops after about 3 months.

For some reason, the effect of the Mega 3 drops wasn't lasting nearly as long and I found I was feeling drier more quickly over time. I have tried them a few times since but still get the best results with the Refresh Optive Advanced drops (25 mins while using computer and 40 mins when not on computer) compared to others drops I've tried.

Changing the subject, I read your post on your experience with computer induced issues as I come from a similar circumstance and used to PC game up to 10 hours a day for years before and during college.

Have you tried Astaxanthin before for the eye pain? I also have pain in my right eye when using the computer or any electronic devices up close. I take 4mg 2x per day of the Jarrow Formulas brand ($11 for 30 day supply on Amazon).

Unfortunately, I can no longer game on the PC since I work 40 hours per week on computers but this has helped manage the pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Glucoa View Post
      For some reason, the effect of the Mega 3 drops wasn't lasting nearly as long and I found I was feeling drier more quickly over time. I have tried them a few times since but still get the best results with the Refresh Optive Advanced drops (25 mins while using computer and 40 mins when not on computer) compared to others drops I've tried.
      Great - whatever works for you. To an extent, everyone's dry eye is different from each other, and it takes some time to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Changing the subject, I read your post on your experience with computer induced issues as I come from a similar circumstance and used to PC game up to 10 hours a day for years before and during college.
      Yeah, video games are huge culprits of MGD - maybe more so than any other activity.

Have you tried Astaxanthin before for the eye pain? I also have pain in my right eye when using the computer or any electronic devices up close. I take 4mg 2x per day of the Jarrow Formulas brand ($11 for 30 day supply on Amazon).
      No I haven't. Is that an oral supplement, then?
      What you need to know about computer-induced dry eye
      Dry Eye Survey
      IPL Doctors
      Probing Doctors

Comment

Originally posted by pythonidler View Post

No I haven't. Is that an oral supplement, then?
        Yes, it's a pill that I take in combination with my fish oils twice a day. A side benefit of Astaxanthin is that I don't get sun burned now out here in Southern California when working outside.

From what I've read, Astaxanthin contains certain chemicals found in Salmon and Lobster that give them their "Pinkish" color.

Comment

Glucoa I also use Hawaiian Astaxanthin 2 capsules per day and I think it helps to reduce constant inflammation in my eyes, I feel my eyes better. I also take Omega 3 for 1 year and I have not noticed that much benefit..

Comment

Working...
          X