What is the natural progression for someone with Dry Eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dowork123 View Post

That's just another symptom of your dry eye...your eyes aren't evaporating tears at night, which is good. Probably means you don't sleep with your eyes open. Then you wake up, you feel great and as the day progresses, as your eyes are open and exposed to air, they dry out and get inflamed. So as the day progresses they burn. Then you close them again for 8 hours, they recover, then you start the cycle again.
    So, my results are back from the eye doctor. My glands are okay. They did unblock a couple and expressed them while I was there, everything was normal. The problem on my right eye is that I have a little bit of scarring on the edge of the cornea due to squint surgery w few years ago. This tiny area has dry cells due to the scarring.

Could anybody recommend some type of drops for this particular type of dry eye?

Comment

Originally posted by Dowork123 View Post

That's just another symptom of your dry eye...your eyes aren't evaporating tears at night, which is good. Probably means you don't sleep with your eyes open. Then you wake up, you feel great and as the day progresses, as your eyes are open and exposed to air, they dry out and get inflamed. So as the day progresses they burn. Then you close them again for 8 hours, they recover, then you start the cycle again.
      Hi
      Reading this post I'm wondering whether you (or anyone) can explain my gritty eyes that I only have at wake up ?
      I have MGD and Demodex. In the day I can control symptoms but every morning at wake up, my eyes are gritty and very dry.
      Then in the shower I let the hot water run on my face for a few minutes and gritty sensation goes away. (I think it is equivalent to hot compress)

Comment

Hi mbperso

This seems to answer your questions

January 17, 2018| By Korin Miller

The Fascinating Reason You Get Eye Boogers When You Sleep

Eye doctors sometimes refer to these ocular boogers as “rheum.”
        Rheum is basically a mucus-based discharge that builds up in your eyes as you sleep, JP Maszczak, O.D., assistant professor of clinical optometry at the Ohio State University College of Optometry, tells SELF. This happens as an extension of your normal eye function.

Your eyes are constantly bathed in a tear film that helps them stay moisturized and allows you to see as best you can, according to the National Eye Institute. This tear film is comprised of an oily layer on top to keep tears from evaporating too quickly, a watery layer in the middle to provide nutrients to your corneas (the dome-shaped surface on your eyes’ outer surface) and your conjunctiva (the mucus membrane that covers the front of your eyes and inside of your eyelids). Finally, there’s a mucus-based layer that binds to the watery one to help your eyes stay wet.

Rheum is mostly made up of that mucus, though it also contains some water, oil, and skin cells, Sajeev Kathuria, M.D., F.A.C.S., an ophthalmologist with Katzen Eye Group, tells SELF. You’re producing the matter that makes up rheum all the time, but it’s more obvious after you sleep.

When you’re awake, you’re constantly blinking. This washes excess tear fluid that would form into rheum away into your eye’s tear drainage system, Dr. Kathuria explains.

But when you sleep, this matter has a chance to collect in the corners of your eyes because you’re not blinking. When exposed to air for long periods of time, it will harden, forming little balls of crust. FYI, there’s a right way to get rid of these eye boogers, and you’re probably not doing it.

Most people tend to use their fingers to try to dig out eye boogers or scrape it away with their nails—but you shouldn’t. For starters, you can scratch your eye or accidentally put bacteria in there that can lead to an eye infection, and it’s also just not the most effective way to handle this.

Instead, it’s best to take a washcloth, wet it with warm water, and then press it to your eyes to soften the crust, Dr. Kathuria says. Once it’s soft and easier to move, gently rinse the area with plain warm water or wipe the booger away with your washcloth.

If you’re dealing with a serious eye booger situation, it might be time to call your doctor
        There’s no set amount or volume of eye boogers you should be dealing with in the A.M. Much like snowflakes, everyone’s eye booger situation is unique. But if you find that you’re seeing a lot more of it than normal and you’re not sick, it’s probably time to call your eye doctor. That’s especially true if you don’t have anything like a cold that would normally turn your mucus yellow or green, but your eye boogers still take on one of those hues. That can signal an eye infection. You should also sound the alarm if your increased eye boogers come along with pain, sensitivity to light, or eye redness—those are all signs that you may have some sort of infection or condition that needs treatment, Dr. Maszczak says.

full text https://www.self.com/story/why-you-get-eye-boogers

Comment

Hi MGD1701 ,

Thanks for this interesting info.
          Indeed at wake up I used to have yellow mucus but after starting heat and massage it has become normal. Everybody has it I think.
          My staph analysis are ok, so that means there is no infection.
          Regarding the gritty eyes at wake up, what is the link and how to treat it ?
          Do people/you with MGD have this gritty symptom at wake up ?

Comment

'Yellow' discharge is not normal but creamy or clear, I think. But if you manage to get it out, maybe ok.

Grittiness
            I seldom have it now. Even I do, not upon wakeup.
            I suspect maybe link with demodex, if you also have itchy, red eyes? or allergy?
            Do you have fan or air con. running when sleep? that could dry eyes too??

Good to consult dr and let us know. Thanks!
            Last edited by MGD1701; 08-Jun-2018, 23:07.

Comment

Hi MGD1701 ,

Yellow discharge became clearer and much less than before.

Gritty/Dry at wakeup
              Good to know you haven't it at wakeup. That proves it is not just because of MGD.
              I had itchy but after using Cliradex or 50%TTO once a day, itchy is gone
              Could be allergy because after using allergic drop for 3 weeks, a foreign body sensation is gone.
              No fan when sleeping.
              None of doctors I visited told me that I have red eyes, but with magnifying mirror x20 I can see some red blood vessel.

So my plan is continue TTO and allergic drop. No other idea.

Comment

They say for bacterial mgd dry eye and blepheritis , Azasite is very effective. I have acqueous deficiency so it did not work for me.

Comment

Working...
                X