Azasite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azasite

Anyone had experience using Azasite antibiotic gel for dry eye related syptoms? Did it irritate your eyes?

Originally posted by bonedrye60 View Post
    Anyone had experience using Azasite antibiotic gel for dry eye related syptoms? Did it irritate your eyes?
    I use Azyter for my MGD. It is a slightly stronger version of Azithromycin available in UK. Yes it does burn and irritate a bit, too much for some. Some people on this forum have been instructed by their Ophthalmologists to rub it onto the lid margins instead of dropping it directly in the eye but obviously I would say follow your doctor's instructions.

Comment

Thank you for your reply, how long have you been using it? Do you feel like it has made any differeance in your dry eye syptoms? I'm desperate for some relief. Thanks again.

Comment

I've been using it for 2 weeks. I can now actually see oil coming out of my MG's when I couldn't before. A few days into treatment it was yellow oil now it is clearer so I think it is helping. My eyes aren't great still because I have severe aqueous deficiency but the topical Azithromycin seems to be helping the MG's. I'm seeing my ophthalmolgist next week so will see how my eyes look to him now as last time I saw him he had to press really hard on the lids to release any oil and it was thick and yellow.

Comment

Thanks a lot liz, that gives me some hope. I've been suffering with severe dry eye for many years. I've had the lipiflow procedure done in Feburary for the second time. It hasn't helped, I'm hoping this Azasite will get my glands opened again. Please let me know how your doing in a couple more weeks. It sounds like it may help, I hope for you and me both.
          Thank you for your prompt reply. Best wishes!

Comment

Azyter - MGD completely blocked glands

Thanks a lot liz, that gives me some hope. I've been suffering with severe dry eye for many years. I've had the lipiflow procedure done in Feburary for the second time. It hasn't helped, I'm hoping this Azasite will get my glands opened again. Please let me know how your doing in a couple more weeks. It sounds like it may help, I hope for you and me both.
            Thank you for your prompt reply. Best wishes!
            Hello, I have posteria Bleph, MGD, glands in my right eye completely blocked, left eye poor quality oil. Also have very dry eyes. Have had 3 cycles of Azyter ( 2 weeks at a time) in the last 2.5years and my glands manually expressed, but they still block up completely a few weeks after expression. ( use hot eye bag twice a day) I am just going to start Azyter again this time for 4 weeks, as my consultant thinks the longer course may help more. I did get some relief with the Azyter before, but short term. Will see if this lasts for longer. Advised to put eye drops straight into the eye. Hope it works out for you. Unfortunately this condition is a tough one to get under control.

Comment

rm14dp - have you tried the topical (in eye drop form) version previously, or just the tablets? Are you planning on getting the drops prescribed and then compounded by a pharmacy? If so, any idea what the ideal ratio or percentage of the solution is?

Comment

Thanks, I agree, I think we may just be screwed.

Comment

Thanks M14,what i am going to use comes in a tube. My doctor said it's almost like a gel. I just hope my eyes can take the burn.

Comment

Thanks M14,what i am going to use comes in a tube. My doctor said it's almost like a gel. I just hope my eyes can take the burn.
                    Perhaps try it in one eye first just in case it does burn a lot? This is what I and a few others do I think, makes it a little more tolerable!

Comment

Thanks liz

Comment

azyter

Originally posted by MGD666 View Post
                        rm14dp - have you tried the topical (in eye drop form) version previously, or just the tablets? Are you planning on getting the drops prescribed and then compounded by a pharmacy? If so, any idea what the ideal ratio or percentage of the solution is?
                        Hello, I use the individual preservative free vials of the drops. One drop straight in each eye was what I used before - it burned and made my eyes blur for ages. This time after internet research, I put one drop on my finger and just rub it on the lid margins once a day for 4 weeks. I feel it burning a bit but no blur much more comfortable. My GP prescribes it as Azyter 15mg/g 0.25g Azithromycin dihydrate. I have the preservative free version as my eyes are very sensitive, more expensive but worth it for me. good luck

Comment

Thank you kindly for sharing this rm14dp

Comment

The original question was in regards to Azasite. Is it the same as Azyter?..thanks

Comment

Azyter / Azasite

Originally posted by Max52 View Post
                              The original question was in regards to Azasite. Is it the same as Azyter?..thanks
                              From what I have seen, Azyter is the version we get in the UK they say it is a little stronger but appears to do the same.

Copy from the internet - AzaSite (azithromycin ophthalmic solution) is a 1% sterile aqueous topical ophthalmic solution of azithromycin formulated in DuraSite® (polycarbophil, edetate disodium, sodium chloride). AzaSite is an off-white, viscous liquid with an osmolality of approximately 290 mOsm/kg.Azyter eye drops contain 1.5 % azithromycin

Comment

Working...
                              X