Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was OK till a virus messed up my routine and now I'm clueless...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was OK till a virus messed up my routine and now I'm clueless...

A quick desciption of my eyes' history before I try to explain the actual problem:
    - I had eye problems for as long as I can remember, but it took 21 years before someone could actually tell me that I have blepharitis (I'm almost 24 now).
    - Since then I've been using vitapos (Vit A, non preservative, at night), Blink Intensive Tears Plus and Systane B (both with preservative, although the doctor told me they weren't...) and Kamillosan Ofta to clean my eyelids + some kind of soap also to clean my eyelids (read that on this forum).

It worked, with ups and downs and a infection once every 6 months to a year because I didn't pay enough attention, but overall I managed (Maybe good to know: I work as an editor (TV) so I spent my days in front of 3 screens).

But now: somewhere in februari I got hit by a cold virus with messed with the mucous membrames in my eyes (adenovirus). I only found out after a week (and the use of antibiotic eyedrops) when I went to see a proper eye doctor. She gave different eyedrops with antibiotics and cortisone. After about 2 weeks not much had changed, so she renewed the eyedrops. 1,5 week later it still wasnt better and I went to another eyedoctor who thought its because I've been using eyedrops with preservatives too much (I kept on using blink and systane during this time and probably even more than otherwise) and had a bad reaction to it, even after the infection was gone. He told me to stop everything and just use Hylocomod (no preservatives). So I used that during the day and vitapos at night. But: I also stopped using kamillosan with made my blepharitis flare up. After 3 weeks I had a new infection. I went to the emergencies (it was a holiday, couldnt reach anyone) and the doctor there gave me fucitalmic (antibiotic for during the night). I also start using Kamilloson again, altough I notice that the chemicals aren't to friendly for my eyes. 3 weeks later, here we are now: the fucitalmic is almost gone, I don't think my infection is solved (my eyes looked/felt better last week and now its worse again) and I'm clueless where to go from here...

See a doctor again? Try to use vitapos/hylocomod again? I'm just very worried what all of this will do to my eyes on the long run...

Greetings,
    Kristof

I also suffered a bout of viral conjunctivitis after having an upper respiratory infection for almost an entire month this March. Most eye infections are caused by virus (antibiotics will do nothing for this type of infection, if anything the preservatives in them are harsh for your eyes)

I'd try lid scrubs and rinsing your eyes 4x day with saline or salt water. Hopefully the infection will resolve soon. Try not to touch your eyes with your hands.

Comment

Thanks, will definitely try that.

Comment

Originally posted by hosanna13 View Post
        I also suffered a bout of viral conjunctivitis after having an upper respiratory infection for almost an entire month this March. Most eye infections are caused by virus (antibiotics will do nothing for this type of infection, if anything the preservatives in them are harsh for your eyes)

I'd try lid scrubs and rinsing your eyes 4x day with saline or salt water. Hopefully the infection will resolve soon. Try not to touch your eyes with your hands.
        So... one week later I can probably conclude that your advice was better then the 5 eye doctors I saw. The infection I had was gone, so the antibiotics did their work, but just like before the preservatives in it weren't doing any good. I also found a better variant on Kamillosan (blephaclean) and started using my 'steam goggles' again. Hard to say if they do a lot, but it definitely doesn't hurt.

Anyway: it's still getting better and it if continues like this my eyes will actually be better than before all the crap started 3 months ago. **** you, blepharitis!

Comment

I was just wondering if you could let me know which saline you use please? I bought one the other day and I think its only meant to be used for cleaning contact lenses. Many thanks, Cath
          27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

Comment

Originally posted by cathy8889 View Post
            I was just wondering if you could let me know which saline you use please? I bought one the other day and I think its only meant to be used for cleaning contact lenses. Many thanks, Cath
            If I get you right you want to know what I use to clean my eyelids?

http://www.thomascarteropticians.co....lephaclean.jpg

It's not cheap if u use it a lot, but it works.

Comment

Originally posted by cathy8889 View Post
              Cathy I make my own saline to clean my eyes. I use Sea Salt (no additives) and try to get the solution about 0.9% salt in water. I boil it for 10 mins, put it into two mugs with cotton pads, then let it cool to around body temperature. I soak my eyes (shut!) with the pads for 10 mins or so then clean the eyelids with the pads & rinse with clean water. I don't use this solution directly in the eyes but you can get saline minims from the doctor to use directly in the eye.

Comment

Working...
              X