Unusual New Eyelash Growth Abnormalties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual New Eyelash Growth Abnormalties

I really don't know if my eyelashes are actually growing in abnormally or if it's a result of wearing moisture chamber night goggles.

I'm VERY careful to apply the goggles on smoothing my eyelashes flat with & without ointment before putting the goggles on before bed.

The goggles are the type that place pressure on the lid. Seal the eye orbit area.

Description of eyelashes: The END TIPS ONLY of instead of appearing/growing upwards... in an upwards 'curl' towards the brow are doing the opposite!

The lashes look normal except now ONLY the TIPS ONLY 'curl' inwards towards my eyeball!

Help! This is freaking me out! You would think daily showers, facial washing, would restore the shape of my eyelashes. Just like if eyelashes get wet in the pool, even if you curl them, they loose their curl.

If I apply mascara, the TIPS still point downwards even if I apply the mascara to try to lift the tips.

When I use a eyelash curler, the part of the eyelash curl & no matter what I do, even if I take the curler and CRAWL all the way up to the TIPS, the tips still turn downwards.

Is this an eyelash disorder?

I have exactly the same problem. Eyelashes are growing upward and curling, quiet a few have thinned and elongated and look a mess. As a guy whom has always had very long and thick lashes (the italian in me), the changes are very apparent and annoying. I have more ingrown eyelashes and find it more difficult to insert my scleral lenses because the elongated and thinned lashes fling from behind my fingertips and get caught under the Scleral lens.

I've never considered the problem be due to wearing night goggles, that wouldn't cause eyelashes to grow longer and thin out. I am leaning towards the possibility it may be from having used Restasis:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22291642

Have you ever used Restasis?

Comment

Originally posted by DCRdryeye View Post
      I have exactly the same problem. Eyelashes are growing upward and curling, quiet a few have thinned and elongated and look a mess. As a guy whom has always had very long and thick lashes (the italian in me), the changes are very apparent and annoying. I have more ingrown eyelashes and find it more difficult to insert my scleral lenses because the elongated and thinned lashes fling from behind my fingertips and get caught under the Scleral lens.

I've never considered the problem be due to wearing night goggles, that wouldn't cause eyelashes to grow longer and thin out. I am leaning towards the possibility it may be from having used Restasis:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22291642

Have you ever used Restasis?

No, I don't use Restasis.
      My eyelashes have grown longer & thinner at the tips, only tips curved/BENT downwards toward eyeball.

This longer length thin tips & strange growth is new.

I don't apply any eyelash enhancing growth serums nor do I use Latisse, glaucoma medications. Nothing.

The only prescription medications I take for my eyes is Doxcycline. However, I've taken Doxycycline on & off for over 20 years because of ocular & Subtype 1 Facial Rosacea.

I've taken Omega-3's BEFORE severe MGD/Dry Eye/Ocular Rosacea since the the late 1990's. The dosage didn't change when the eye doc's told me to take Omega-3's because I had already been taken them prior to MARCH 2013 when my MGD/DRY EYES/OCULAR ROSACEA had a severe flare-up. It was already a popular supplement.

Also, there's no way it's related to OTC eye drop lubricants since I've been consistently using every brand on the market without ever stopping since the 1980's.

I'm sorry my thoughts are so scattered. I did something today I regret so much & am very upset. I bought a pair of "Curved Cuticle Scissors" & CUT the TIPS that curved/bent towards my eyeballs off! That meant my ENTIRE upper lashes on both eyes!

I didn't "mess them up" they are even. HOWEVER, I didn't realize just how much of the TIPS were curved towards my eyeballs..."BENT" maybe a better description of the tips since I normally have "Stick Straight Asian Eyelashes."

I've been crying off & on all day after cutting the BENT TIPS OFF...not from stupid vanity issues but really scared that this is a permanent NEW medical condition.

NOW WHAT? I cut all the BENT TIPS OFF so even if I make an appointment with my opthamologist AND dermatologist they won't see what I'm talking about!

I had a regular monthly hair cut appointment yesterday & showed my hairdresser my eyelashes & she said she had never seen "BENT EYELASH TIPS" on ALL my upper lashes. Is this weird growth going to happen to my lower lashes eventually?

I probably should post this on the Patient/Pro section.

I noticed it beginning with a few stray individual lashes. Now it's ALL of them!

Comment

I wonder, if the eyelashes curl towards the tip, what happens when they grow out? Do they continue to grow with a bend? What brand night time goggles are you using? If they press against the eyelashes you may with to consider using "Tranquileyes" without the foam padding insert. They seems to have a deep space where the eyes rest in without placing pressure on the eyelashes.

The other consideration is to consult a trichologist, they are experts on hair growth.

Comment

Originally posted by DCRdryeye View Post
          I wonder, if the eyelashes curl towards the tip, what happens when they grow out? Do they continue to grow with a bend? What brand night time goggles are you using? If they press against the eyelashes you may with to consider using "Tranquileyes" without the foam padding insert. They seems to have a deep space where the eyes rest in without placing pressure on the eyelashes.

The other consideration is to consult a trichologist, they are experts on hair growth.
          I wear "Tranquileyes." I've tried w/o padding because I didn't like how they felt against my eyeballs. I've tried with padding & worn loosely. I have to wear night protection since my lids don't close completely. Tape...the skin around my eyes are too sensitive. I've tried the type used for geriatric patients from the hospital & still my skin becomes irritated no matter how I remove the tape.

I need to call my opthalmologist who either knows of this new weird eyelash bent growth. These doctors where I live are all specialized. So, I'll probably get a referral for a trichologist.

Also, this morning, I noticed the 'baby eyelashes' near the base of my lash line have this bent shape curving towards my eyeball. So, they are growing in like this, not something that happens after a certain length. Now, I'm really worried.

P.S. I live in an area between two schools of medicine/teaching hospitals less than 10 miles apart. The physicians in the area are very specialized. I have two opthamologists! Only one 'general' dermatologist, yet specialty is rosacea.
          Last edited by Almondiyz; 23-May-2014, 06:23.

Comment

Working...
          X