Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azithromycin( azyter ) vs restasis vs steroids

Hey guys , Andrea here , so.... my questions :

i basicly did in order : probing plus lipiflow .

Doctor said that I have oil flowing somehow but lost lots of glands + partial Blinker + acqueos deficiency (2schirmer both eyes

plus had posterior blepharitis .

so right now I’m under steroids ( FML , fluaton here in Europe ) 1 drop day + serum With blood 50% 3+ drops day

I still have inflammation plus eyelids are swollen( worst morning - end of the night ) + WaTErY eyes

Also using NATRASAN spray morning and night

so my options : 1 try azythomicyn drops ( azyter in Europe ) In combination with steroids , fluaton . Would it be ok to use them at the same time ? Or should Just stop steroids and use only Azyter with Serum ( steroid I use it already for 2 months so it’s a long time use , it will be atleast another month)

2 azyter + restasis ( ikervis in Europe ) And serum , try this combo , can i try use them togheter or aiozyter will counter restasis ?

3 azyter and just serum

4 how a good “ cycle “ and for how long should I stay on it . I remember one doctor said 1 drop for 60 days ( I thing is a lot )

Another said 3 days 3 times day ( big different ) so I’m in confusion .

————————————

5 in combination how long should wait to IPL , I did lipiflow in June , I was thinking to wait till September to try session of IPL ( which in already have with no luck, 3 times did nothing 4 years ago ) , or maybe do it before this month to counter even more the inflammation and swollen eyelids .

lots of questions guys , much confusion but I think I’m on the right way , still will keep you updated .

If I were you, I would get on Azyter for 2 weeks, Azyter will really help clear up your glands very quickly. I would also get on Restasis/ikervis long term. I would skip the steriods.

I would also start IPL immediately, and get on it monthly for at least 6 sessions.

Comment

If you still have inflammation and eyelids are swollen, you might need the steroids a little longer to get that under control, but you’re absolutely right about being careful not being on it too long. Over the years I had severe dry eyes, I was on and off steroid drops. Now I have early stage cataracts, believed to be caused by the steroids. My dryness has finally been manageable after all those debilitating years, so am terrified of needing cataract surgery sometime in the future and my dry eye condition declining to unbearable levels again.

Even though past IPLs did not work for you, it might help now that you had probing. You may have had scar tissue only probing unblocked. Someone in this forum had IPL first and it didn’t help, then had probing and discovered he had scar tissue in the process of the procedure. After he was instructed to do IPLs for maintenance, and the IPLs helped. So perhaps sooner rather than later to get IPL or other solutions to keep your oils flowing, as your glands might get blocked again.

I tried almost everting including LipiFlow, which did now help me at all. I was one of those people who had scar tissue, so ultimately probing unblocked my glands, then diet changes helped my oils flow better in the glands that had not atrophied, so I have not needed another probing or other procedure on my glands since then.

Comment

Hi Italyboy

You asked whether you could Aziter (azithromycin) together with Restasis. I have looked at the ‘drugs checker’ of the Drugs.com website, and the checker does not indicate any interaction between these two types of eyedrops. Since both have completely different actions it seems logically that there would not be any interaction between them. However, both have the property of reducing inflammation of the eyelids, and that could be very valuable.

Whether it I advisable that you should use these eyedrops to treat your eyes, I would not venture to guess.

Whatever you do, I hope you find a way to improve your eye condition very soon!

Comment

suggest you check possible root causes

demodex, if lids seal when sleep

Given your complaints
          ''I still have inflammation plus eyelids are swollen( worst morning - end of the night ) + WaTErY eyes''

the problem is most doctors do not check demodex
          so maybe good to add tea tree oil lid cleanser
          Last edited by MGD1701; 25-Jul-2018, 07:16.

Comment

Hey man, how did the cycle go? Did it help with the eyes at all?

the protocol out here is azasite (azyter) once a day for two weeks. Drop onto clean finger, it's a gel, rub together with other finger, Pull down lower lid, swipe the medicine across, then close eyes and rub into lashes. Also, a hypochlorous acid cleaner to clean the lids.

I believe you need a good compress and expression protocol. You need to heat the oil and then pull the lid tight and roll the qtip down and across the upper lid and repeat for lower lid. Then wash out all the bad oil with PF saline or PF tear. I MUST do this twice a day or I will feel bad. Hurts to blink, lids feel stuffy.

I dont think the stetoids are a bad idea at all. I think you should take them and taper into restasis. Your schirmer was very low. You have a lot of inflammation I assume. As long as you keep your cornea nice and healthy, the restasis won't hurt or bother you, I believe it could only help given your situation.

Also, watch your estrogen. Androgens downregulate inflammation, estrogen unregulates inflammation. If you're on a heavy cycle, you need to get your estrogen and progesterone tested then take an aromatase inhibitor like arimidex to lower your estrogen. You want it around 30 imho.

Comment

You need to get the inflammation under control, that is the most important so if the Dr is recommending steroids and azithromicyn I would go with that but if you are worse in the morning I would suspect that your eyes are opening in the night and you need to wear a night time goggle (available from the Dry Eye Shop) to keep them humidified, or ointment. This is really important, you will never improve if your eyes don't seal at night. For partial blinking you can do blinking exercises that are readily available online.

https://dryeyeshop.com/collections/n...eals-4-0-clear

Dr Korb in part 4 of his 4 part video (which I suggest you watch all 4 parts)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSShGZfxiFg

says that if you are chronic, meaning that you have had this condition for 3 or more years that one treatment of anything won't help. He says that one treatment of anything for a chronic condition won't help which is the truth if you think about it. He says that with lipiflow or IPL and repeated expressions, I believe monthly in office you can hope for 25% improvement in 6 months and 50% in a year. That plus you need to get the inflammation under control first and make sure that you have a good blink and that the eye does not stay open unprotected at night. Use either ointment or goggles to protect it.

On top of that it is important that you do your hot compresses daily as well to keep the oils flowing.

The other thing that comes to my mind is that perhaps you are reacting to the preservatives in some of the drops you are using so beware that what you are putting in them are not making you worse. BAK will leave me immediately inflamed and bloodshot....just a random thought.

Comment

There is one more thing I’d like to mention that is worth considering. Both azithromycin eyedrops and Restasis apparently help to improve the flow of sebum, which is an important factor for anybody suffering form posterior blepharitis.

Comment

Hey,

I suffer from ocular rosacea and posterior blepharitis with MGD. Could azyter help me?
                  How Long should I take it?
                  I saw that there are only 6 edos in a package?
                  So, only take it 6 days? Or how many packages should I be prescribed?

Thank you!

My eyes burn every day all day long, I am pleased for any help.

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
                    You need to get the inflammation under control, that is the most important so if the Dr is recommending steroids and azithromicyn I would go with that but if you are worse in the morning I would suspect that your eyes are opening in the night and you need to wear a night time goggle (available from the Dry Eye Shop) to keep them humidified, or ointment. This is really important, you will never improve if your eyes don't seal at night. For partial blinking you can do blinking exercises that are readily available online.

https://dryeyeshop.com/collections/n...eals-4-0-clear

Dr Korb in part 4 of his 4 part video (which I suggest you watch all 4 parts)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSShGZfxiFg

says that if you are chronic, meaning that you have had this condition for 3 or more years that one treatment of anything won't help. He says that one treatment of anything for a chronic condition won't help which is the truth if you think about it. He says that with lipiflow or IPL and repeated expressions, I believe monthly in office you can hope for 25% improvement in 6 months and 50% in a year. That plus you need to get the inflammation under control first and make sure that you have a good blink and that the eye does not stay open unprotected at night. Use either ointment or goggles to protect it.

On top of that it is important that you do your hot compresses daily as well to keep the oils flowing.

The other thing that comes to my mind is that perhaps you are reacting to the preservatives in some of the drops you are using so beware that what you are putting in them are not making you worse. BAK will leave me immediately inflamed and bloodshot....just a random thought.
                    I agree with all this...only suggestion I'd make, because night time goggles don't work for me, you can use plastic wrap over your eyes. If you want me to explain how to use it, let me know. Make sure to sleep in your back, that's HUGE. Good luck!

Comment

If the goggle doesn't work try putting a moist gauze under the goggle that puts enough gentle pressure on the lid to keep it closed. I would also put a gel in the eye if you can tolerate them (I can't). The important thing is to keep the eye closed all night.

Comment

Originally posted by insidious988 View Post
                        Hey,

I suffer from ocular rosacea and posterior blepharitis with MGD. Could azyter help me?
                        How Long should I take it?
                        I saw that there are only 6 edos in a package?
                        So, only take it 6 days? Or how many packages should I be prescribed?

Thank you!

My eyes burn every day all day long, I am pleased for any help.
                        Use the medication until it is gone don't throw it out after one drop. I have an unpreserved antibiotic drop called Vigamox and the directions on the package say specifically, discard unused medication after 28 days.

Comment

Use the medication until it is gone don't throw it out after one drop. I have an unpreserved antibiotic drop called Vigamox and the directions on the package say specifically, discard unused medication after 28 days.
                          Vigamox is different than Azyter (azithromycin), Azyter is preservative free individually packaged, while Vigamox usually comes in a bottle.

A suggested dosage of Azyter is 2-4 weeks QD (once per day) for MGD. You can do more pulsed dosage later as needed.

Comment

I assume it comes in small vials like non preserved systane for example that says use once and discard where in reality you can get about 3 or 4 uses out of one vial like you can with Restasis. Yes the Vigamox comes in a small bottle but it is non preserved nonetheless.
                            Last edited by farmgirl; 25-Jul-2018, 22:17.

Comment

I assume it comes in small vials like non preserved systane for example that says use once and discard where in reality you can get about 3 or 4 uses out of one vial like you can with Restasis. Yes the Vigamox comes in a small bottle but it is non preserved nonetheless.
                              Yes, but unlike Restasis, it doesn't come with a recap. Azyter is extremely cheap tho, something like $10 USD per month, however its unable in USA/Canada but available in EU and select Asia countries. I'm actually in contact w/ the drug maker, I'm trying to bring Azyter into Canada. I'm scheduling a meeting next week!

Comment

Working...
                              X