Couldn't resist rubbing eye to relieve itch - and paid the penalty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couldn't resist rubbing eye to relieve itch - and paid the penalty

I've been getting occasional itches as part of my MGD. At first I never had them but they are much more frequent in recent weeks. Normally I try to get through the itch or else resort to cleaning lid margins however this time I lost control and rubbed the eye frantically. I've now a completely red eye.

This got me thinking that there must be different sorts of red eye? i.e. red caused by actual dryness (friction) and this type of red eye, which looks like a general redness across the entire white of my eye, not individual blood vessels in particular.

I'd be keen to hear any solutions for reducing red eye caused by this rubbing. I've applied some drops and am hoping it will subside over the day.

Thanks,
    Kevin

I've done this before. It took a couple of days for the redness to subside. Try ice compresses a few times a day. You probably irritated some of the small vessels and they need time to repair.

Comment

It calmed down later in the day. The itch can be so frustrating. It is new to me. I've been trying to counteract the itch with regular baby shampooing and letting it flow over the eyes. This along with cotton pads on the lid margins - just to remove anything that could be causing the itch (i.e. dry crusts left from eye drops, dust, and anything other aspect related to MGD).

Comment

Oboy. One way to guarantee ME bright red eyes would be baby shampoo. But, different things work for different folks.

I like a bit of a saline rinse (unpreserved of course) if I get too itchy.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
          Oboy. One way to guarantee ME bright red eyes would be baby shampoo. But, different things work for different folks.

I like a bit of a saline rinse (unpreserved of course) if I get too itchy.
          Thanks Rebecca. I make sure that my eyes are well closed when I use the baby shampoo - so the shampoo cleans more the eye lashes than the lid margins.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
          X