Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those who fear they may have to give up computer work (your job)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who fear they may have to give up computer work (your job)

Hi guys,

Just wanted to reach out to those of you who may be contemplating giving up work or changing to a job as result of dry eye - to a job where it is less computer related.

20 days ago I was in a very bad place with my dryness. I feared that me giving up my job (I am a designer) was immiment. I was very worried. I couldn't look at the screen for more than 3 seconds without turning away, such was the dryness I was experiencing. I had lost all hope.

However, in that moment the advice I recieved from doctors, family and friends wasn't great. One quote from a doctor was 'if we find in life that a certain role isn't working for us for whatever reason it it best to consider just changing to a role which does'. I was so annoyed as the comment. Having spent the past 20 years working with screens and given my respect for his opinions given his profession I couldn't help but feel annoyed. As I felt that my own belief that I'd have to give up work was becoming true - since the professional had now confirmed this.

My own family also made suggestions that I could do x or y. However no one understood that in life a career means a lot to the individual and hanging up the tools for the job and doing a 360 turnaround to another profession isn't an easy pill to swallow.

However 20 days on. I am working with my computer at my day job once again. Averaging about 7 hours at the screen each day. My sitution is different to you who read this. I was unaware of the importance of releasing the oils from the meibomian glands before I had my crisis day 20 days ago. It took a bit of reeducation from various people (including this forum) to highlight to me what I should be doing. My situation snowballed to a place where my glands were so dry my eyes couldn't remain opened for computer work for more than 3 seconds. After getting into a routine of hot compress I released the oils from my glands and have being doing this for the past 20 days - initially daily but more recently once every day or two. I also invested in a pair of eye glasses which I use during computer work. They help a lot.

I understand every one is different and some cases a lot worse than others. However I just wanted to reach out to those of you who feel you have no hope in relation to being able to maintain your job. I had no hope but am now working daily taking each day as it comes. It can be done.

Kevin

Glad to hear you are getting some relief. How exactly do you do your compresses? And are you doing anything else to express the oil like using a q-tip or anything? What kind of glasses did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by JJdryeye View Post
      Glad to hear you are getting some relief. How exactly do you do your compresses? And are you doing anything else to express the oil like using a q-tip or anything? What kind of glasses did you get?
      Hi JJ,

I have a "MGD Eye Bag". Heat for approx 50-60 seconds in the microwave. Leave on the eye for about 4 mins. Then start with the top lids in a vertical movement of my index finger. I then (and I'm not sure this is a good idea) slide my index from the side closest to the nose outwards in a horizontal movement. So, down down, down, down, down, down then across - on both eyes. I then do the bottom lids usually with my index finger nail getting as close to the edge of the lid as possible. I don't use any q-tip.

The glasses are 7eye churada sunglasses. I use them 100% for computer work but also when walking about the office too as the air can be dry and without the glasses you can feel the air hit the eyes. The glasses protect the eyes like a shield.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
      X