Inflammation in corner of eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inflammation in corner of eye

I keep getting inflammation in the corners of my eye and the tear duct looks red, I can feel it when this happenes as it feels sore and then tends to diminish over time.

This seems to happen more often in the morning, but sometimes just at random points through the day. I have notice it sometimes happens after I put my drops in first thing.
    They are preservative free and do not effect my eyes badly throughout the day, but sometimes when I put the first drop of the day in my eyes really sting and this redness appears in the corners.

Anyone have a similar experience or have any ideas why this may happen?

I had this for a while, especially when putting eye drops in the morning and sometimes get this sharp stinging pain in the corner. Luckily it just went away. Maybe try changing eye drops?

Comment

Originally posted by Shell259 View Post
      I keep getting inflammation in the corners of my eye and the tear duct looks red, I can feel it when this happenes as it feels sore and then tends to diminish over time.

This seems to happen more often in the morning, but sometimes just at random points through the day. I have notice it sometimes happens after I put my drops in first thing.
      They are preservative free and do not effect my eyes badly throughout the day, but sometimes when I put the first drop of the day in my eyes really sting and this redness appears in the corners.

Anyone have a similar experience or have any ideas why this may happen?
      If it's happening mostly in the morning, I'd say you may be sleeping with your eyes open just slightly. The problems during the day may be related to the dessication at night. I know that once I got my blinking better, I'm an incomplete blinker, and started wearing protection at night, that went away. It still happens, I just need to keep it lubricated. For years, I used to get mucus accumulate there. That protected the caruncle...however, lately, I haven't been producing as much mucus either.

Try covering your eyes at night. What brand of drops do you use...that could make it worse.

Comment

I have been using a mask at night, I don’t think it’s related to that, as in general my eyes are whiter in the morning.
        Its just when I put the drops in they suddenly really sting and this redness appears which isn’t normally there.
        This has only been happening for the past two weeks, so I’m not really sure what’s causing it.

Ive got three different types of eye drops and it has happened with all of them, but never used to. It’s odd I’m not sure what’s causing it.

Comment

Could be that you are reacting to something in the drops. Try putting a bit of ointment like Vaseline over the tissue that reacts just before you instill the drop. Occasionally I get something like what you describe and it seems to come from moisture laying on the skin which happens when I put a drop in because usually the drops are too large for my eye to accommodate since I am quadra plugged and there is no where for the excess to go except to overflow onto the lid. If and when that happens a bit of Vaseline to protect the delicate skin usually solves the problem.

Just because a drop is preservative free doesn't mean you can't develop a sensitivity to it. I am currently sensitive to almost everything I put in my eyes and have to use OTC drops judiciously. For the most part I use non preserved saline.

Comment

It’s not the skin that gets red, but my actual eye. It hasn’t done it this morning, which is why it’s weird.

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
              Could be that you are reacting to something in the drops. Try putting a bit of ointment like Vaseline over the tissue that reacts just before you instill the drop. Occasionally I get something like what you describe and it seems to come from moisture laying on the skin which happens when I put a drop in because usually the drops are too large for my eye to accommodate since I am quadra plugged and there is no where for the excess to go except to overflow onto the lid. If and when that happens a bit of Vaseline to protect the delicate skin usually solves the problem.

Just because a drop is preservative free doesn't mean you can't develop a sensitivity to it. I am currently sensitive to almost everything I put in my eyes and have to use OTC drops judiciously. For the most part I use non preserved saline.
              May I ask, what type of unpresetved saline do you use? When I was just at the doc they flushed my eyes with this single use pink bottle of saline. It was soooo refreshing, I think I'm with you, most pf otc drops bother me. Saline does not!

Comment

Originally posted by Shell259 View Post
                I have been using a mask at night, I don’t think it’s related to that, as in general my eyes are whiter in the morning.
                Its just when I put the drops in they suddenly really sting and this redness appears which isn’t normally there.
                This has only been happening for the past two weeks, so I’m not really sure what’s causing it.

Ive got three different types of eye drops and it has happened with all of them, but never used to. It’s odd I’m not sure what’s causing it.
                Ah, gotcha...I had this issue when I was dumping tons of drops in because I was getting no relief. For some reason, it was only my left eye, probably because it's dryer. But adding tears made my caruncle swell up and inflame. It sucks, sorry!

I agree with farmgirl on this by the way, she's a great resource here.

Comment

Working...
                X