Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone had dry eye improvement after taking thyroid medication?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone had dry eye improvement after taking thyroid medication?

I couldn't find any recent threads on possible dry eye links to Thyroid problems so I just wanted to get a new discussion going. I recently found out I have an underactive thyroid and I just started an Rx of Levothyroxine (50 MCG/day). A quick internet search yielded a lot of hits suggesting that dry eye can be a side effect of an underactive thyroid.

My lab results:

Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies 125 (High)
    T4, FREE 1.1 (Within Limits)
    TSH 5.03 (High)

I figure this is probably just wishful thinking on my part that this could be the cause of my dry eye, mainly because I looked back and found the lab results of a bloodtest I had back in 2007, four months after I first saw a doctor for my dry eye, and my thyroid levels at that point were ok (TSH 2.999 and T4 8.4).

Has anyone had any improvement after taking thyroid medication?

I'm in the same position as you. My TSH has gone between 5 and 10 over the last year and I am now on 50mcg of levothyroxine per day. The Endocrinologist I saw (and hated) said my dry eyes had nothing to do with my hypothyroidism but two Ophthalmologists have said they've seen patients' dry eye symptoms improve after taking thyroxine. I only just started a week ago on 50mcg so i will wait and see. The Endocrinologist I saw put me on 25mcg, my TSH went down to just below 5 after 6 weeks and he told me to come off it. I believe in the US they consider a TSH of over 3 to be indicative of hypothyroidism now but in the UK they generally don't treat until the TSH goes over 10 (and you feel like you are dying).

I know someone on forum had a TSH of over 30 and had improvement from taking thyroxine. Fingers crossed it helps you!

Comment

Originally posted by lizlou29 View Post
      I'm in the same position as you. My TSH has gone between 5 and 10 over the last year and I am now on 50mcg of levothyroxine per day. The Endocrinologist I saw (and hated) said my dry eyes had nothing to do with my hypothyroidism but two Ophthalmologists have said they've seen patients' dry eye symptoms improve after taking thyroxine. I only just started a week ago on 50mcg so i will wait and see. The Endocrinologist I saw put me on 25mcg, my TSH went down to just below 5 after 6 weeks and he told me to come off it. I believe in the US they consider a TSH of over 3 to be indicative of hypothyroidism now but in the UK they generally don't treat until the TSH goes over 10 (and you feel like you are dying).

I know someone on forum had a TSH of over 30 and had improvement from taking thyroxine. Fingers crossed it helps you!
      That's encouraging that some ophthalmologists have said it's possible to see improvement. I read somewhere that it can take quite a while to see improvements from thyroid problems after starting meds (weeks/months). How long ago did your dry eye start in relation to your new TSH levels? I'd like to think this could be the magic bullet for us, although common sense is telling me not to get my hopes up.

Comment

Originally posted by JJdryeye View Post
        That's encouraging that some ophthalmologists have said it's possible to see improvement. I read somewhere that it can take quite a while to see improvements from thyroid problems after starting meds (weeks/months). How long ago did your dry eye start in relation to your new TSH levels? I'd like to think this could be the magic bullet for us, although common sense is telling me not to get my hopes up.
        Kind of hard to answer. I started going to my GP (family doctor) at 19 as I was so tired all the time and both my mum and brother have thyroid problems. I was always told the result was borderline so no need for medication. Now I realise that I probably should have started on thyroxine a long time ago. I'm 30 now. My dry eyes started at around 22 but I have mild facial rosacea so it's always been put down to that. My current ophthalmologist and my previous one have both said they are sure I have a problem with my immune system and Sjogren's has been ruled out through blood tests. I think even if the thyroxine just helps my constant tiredness it will help me deal with the dry eyes a little better.

Comment

Originally posted by lizlou29 View Post
          Kind of hard to answer. I started going to my GP (family doctor) at 19 as I was so tired all the time and both my mum and brother have thyroid problems. I was always told the result was borderline so no need for medication. Now I realise that I probably should have started on thyroxine a long time ago. I'm 30 now. My dry eyes started at around 22 but I have mild facial rosacea so it's always been put down to that. My current ophthalmologist and my previous one have both said they are sure I have a problem with my immune system and Sjogren's has been ruled out through blood tests. I think even if the thyroxine just helps my constant tiredness it will help me deal with the dry eyes a little better.
          I hope it makes a difference for you, keep me updated please.

Comment

Working...
          X