Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So this is insane... sudden crazy pain that went away in 2h

Ok. Hear me out.
    I am on the phone standing by the mirror. Just talking. Suddenly insane blinkinking pain starts. I blink and it feels like a huge breadcrumb is scratching my eye under the upper eyelid. I close my eye and it continues. Foreign body sensation under my lower eyelid disappears (it has been bugging me for a week now).
    Now I can only keep my eye open and open and close it with my hand.
    I cancel work. Call my partner. Run to the ER.
    Sitting there. No drops.
    1.5 hours passes from the onset. Pain goes away. Just like that. In one blink. Not gradually. On and off.
    Foreign body sensation in the lower eyelid returns gradually.

What is that??? My partner (mild dry eye) used to have that in the past (20 minute to 2 hour episode).

Still at the hospital because I am paranoid.
    Last edited by hopeful_hiker; 01-Aug-2018, 20:18.

Could be corneal erosion that healed.

Comment

They can heal that fast? I actually overestimted the time. It was 1.5h at most.

Comment

Yes, your corneas can heal very quickly. Your optometrist might not even be able to see anything under the scope.

Comment

Yepp. No scratches. I was told I probably had something in the eye but it got out.

Comment

Something that happens periodically to me (at least based on my best guess / understanding).

I have glands clogged with hard meibum that feel scratchy and sore. Like I have tiny stones embedded in my eyelids. Also apparent when pushing on the lid margin in that area (during self expression / massage).

Occasionally, when conditions are right, the hard meibum will leave the gland and feel scratchy in the eye (but less so in the eyelid). Sometimes this brings extreme pain (enough to make me scream), and eye redness. I assume because the 'oil' is so stale and full of harmful crap.

It was once bad enough that I resolved to go to A&E at the eye hospital the next day (who were no use, but that's another story).

I'm not sure if any of this matches what you experience?

Comment

It's a micro erosion most likely. Yes they can heal fast and you can't see it when you stain the eye. This has happened to me a half dozen times since my dry eye started. I remember once, standing under an air vent, it felt like a piece of sand just broke off in my eye. I blinked and actually felt relief immediately. Hope you're feeling better.

Comment

Dowork123 yepp, it just went away in an instant. The thing is, my eyes were not really dry dry at that moment. I have been in air conditioned places where I got pretty paranoid about getting an erosion of sorts but this happened at home. And the pain went away from say 8/10 when I blinked to nothing instantly. For 1.5h I could barely blink at all. Or close my eye. Whatever it was I hope it does not happen again.

Meibum Ian interesting! Wonder if that could have been the culprit.

Comment

Originally posted by hopeful_hiker View Post
                  Dowork123 yepp, it just went away in an instant. The thing is, my eyes were not really dry dry at that moment. I have been in air conditioned places where I got pretty paranoid about getting an erosion of sorts but this happened at home. And the pain went away from say 8/10 when I blinked to nothing instantly. For 1.5h I could barely blink at all. Or close my eye. Whatever it was I hope it does not happen again.

Meibum Ian interesting! Wonder if that could have been the culprit.
                  In my experience, the healthier my eyes are, the more likely I am to have an erosion. I cannot explain why. When my eyes burn and are inflamed, no way I can have an erosion. Again, no clue why.

Comment

Dowork123 oh wow!! That’s crazy. Did not know it could work that way.

Comment

Originally posted by hopeful_hiker View Post
                      Dowork123 oh wow!! That’s crazy. Did not know it could work that way.
                      That's been my experience weirdly enough...it's not awesome

Comment

Working...
                      X