Increase in Floaters due to Lasik?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebecca,
    Sorry to hear about the bigger health issues back then. Must be tough for you and family, so glad that things are better now

Yes, I am thankful everyday for God's grace, mercy and protection and going through all these with me. I am also reminding myself that all these lousy days will pass; all things are temporary anyway.

ok, will try the laughing technique am trying anything that helps

Just for info. Read from google that Omega3, Taurine, antioxidants and serrapegtase Enzyme help remove floaters.

Comment

Tealeaf - thanks for sharing, might try some of those to my the cocktail I already take!

Comment

Dry Londoner,
        I have never taken so much supplement in life, all thanks to this post lasik dryness I am wondering if taking more supplement will cause my liver and kidney to work too hard Am taking 1 GNC Triple C, 3 Thera tears capsules and 1 Lutein capsule on a daily basis.

Comment

I posted to this thread a month back and since then have had an influx of floaters in my left eye (PVD) with flashes and the works. Thankfully no retinal tear. I'm learning to cope with it. However, they are the worst I've had yet. In my research I found this website (below) that treats floaters with a YAG laser. Now being a post lasik severe dry eye patient anything with a laser and my eye scares me. However, I don't know enough about this. Anyone out there have any information on this? the testimonials on the website do not mention dry eye as any symptom associated with it. It seems the laser is not shot at the cornea but to the floaters behind the cornea or to the side. I have sent an email to the doctor and explained my situation. I'll let you know when I hear back. the doctor is located in southern California.

Here's the website.

http://vitreousfloatersolutions.com=

Comment

Personally, I would not risk it, even if my floaters were 3 times as bad as they are. Check out the list of known risks and see how much stomach you have for it.

[Edit: Sorry I posted without reading the link - earlier comments were about floaters only vitrectomy.]
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by tealeaf View Post
              Just for info. Read from google that Omega3, Taurine, antioxidants and serrapegtase Enzyme help remove floaters.
              This is unfortunately, absolute rubbish. No type of pill or nutritional supplement will remove or prevent floaters. Nothing available currently will cure floaters other than vitrectomy surgery or the YAG laser. The YAG laser will not affect the ocular surface (like surgery can), but it is not as effective as vitrectomy. With the YAG laser - if after careful and thorough examination your eye doc cannot see any significant floaters you are probably wasting your time thinking about the laser. I have appalling floaters - literally thousands and thousands covering my entire field of vision, breeding like rabbits. However, Drs consistently can only see a few not worse than the average person my age. I have been refused vitrectomy due to the Dr not appreciating the extent of my floaters. I was OK with the risk because the floaters are destroying my ability to concentrate - to the point where my productivity at work is probably about 25% of what it was and I have had numerous near misses of minor car prangs and are nervous about driving and won't drive anywhere unfamiliar. But the Dr always knows what is best for us don't they. Floaters are treated as more of a joke than dry eye so I am like an eye doc's most hated patient.

The thing about floaters is that they can appear huge to you but they can microscopic - but because they are sitting right in front of your retina, you see them very clearly but the Dr can't. So if a Dr tells you you don't have floaters or they aren't as bad as you say - the Dr can't know this.

Trauma can cause vitreous detachment/floaters so it seems perfectly plausible that an eye surgery could cause floaters.

Unfortunately, your brain will not learn to ignore floaters. Sorry but this is hogwash. The brain cannot learn to ignore them because they are moving constantly. The brain cannot filter them out. Yes some individuals will be able to learn to be less bothered by them but others won't. And floaters will also not "go away" like some Drs try to tell us. They are permanent. They can move around - to a less visible spot, or even out of your field of vision if you are really lucky - but they will never go away. My understanding of the YAG laser is that it breaks up a large and obvious floater into smaller less noticeable ones and/or causes the floater to move to a less noticeable area of your eye. For this reason I believe the laser cannot help someone like me with literally thousands and thousands of tiny floaters.

I love the post about texting his Dr on a Sunday I think this would be almost therapeutic.
              Last edited by poppy; 03-Oct-2014, 22:54.

Comment

Originally posted by DryLondoner View Post
                This is when I first realised that they were not the lovely supportive team they claim to be. They are actually a world renowned eye surgery clinic. They have many high profile clients, but LASIK is LASIK, no matter where you get it done. My biggest regret - I actually cancelled my surgery after my consultation and lots of research. I thought it was too risky. They called me up and said they wanted me to talk to the surgeon, because they were the best and they didn't want me not to have a life enhancing procedure without been fully informed. I don't know why I went. At this meeting he basically convinced me that the stats online and stories were either old, or from clinics which didn't have their kit and didn't do the test they did. I paid a lot for my LASIK - I thought this meant I was going with the best and wouldn't be in this position.

In complete darkness, I feel like there is TV static surrounding me - which is weird, although I have gotten use to this now.
                It is so disgusting that a medical professional would contact a patient who has declined a PURELY elective surgery to convince them to reconsider (I know some surgeries classed as elective are not "elective" to the patient, but a patient simply wanting to be rid of glasses is very clearly elective). I had read a story online about a patient with a serious disability defending lasik because he had such trouble managing with glasses and contacts due to his disability and had poor vision. But such patients are a very tiny minority.

With the TV static, it isn't lasik. I know exactly what you are talking about though, you are not alone. Tons of people have this who haven't had lasik. Google it. I have the same thing amongst other visual disturbances. I don't think it is anything at all harmful. It has worsened over time for me along with my other visual disturbances but it is something that can be lived with and you can mostly tune out. Unlike I find with floaters unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                X