Morning redness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning redness

Has anyone found the redness is worse in the mornings?

I always wake up with bloodshot eyes. I used to have lots of "crumbs" in the morning around my eyes and really white eyes, but since LASIK this doesn't happen anymore. Every morning I hope to wake up to see "crumbs" on the eyes. My eyelids don't stick to my eyes, but they look awful. After about 15 minutes the veins fade slightly.

Anyone else find they have anything similar?

That's what started my long journey through all this hell-o I'm going through.....every single morning out of no where, I'd have these blood shot red eyes, that lingered throughout the day. It just started this year around March. So I started using OTC drops to help ease the redness. After a few short months, it stopped working and my eyes got even redder. So I went to the doctor....4 so far and was diagnosed with the dry eye disease and rebound redness (overuse of OTC drops). I was told I'm on the computer too much, that smoking contributes to it, that poor diet and OTC abuse. I was put on steroids and Lotomax, Restasia, REfresh, Systane, you name it, I bought it....almost a week out of no OTC drops and I look like the walking dead. I did do one thing that I think will help me with the depressed state I'm in over this...I got some new glasses with a slight tint in them...I'm just waiting now to get them back from the pharmacy..I'm so sick of the stares and the inquiries about my health to the point of nausea. So help me, If I ever see a white eyeball again, I'm gonna scream to the highest mountain and thank God profusely!!

Comment

I'm bumping this up.

I am walking up and finding my eyes are redder than ever.
      It shouldn't bother me, but it really really does. Right now I'm using systane ultra at night and a mask. I tried Satan wrap but irratated the skin around my eyes. Any advice?

Comment

Hi Dl,

Hope you're keeping well. Sorry not replied on other threads. I was meant to wish you good luck on your travels, I'm thinking of embarking on a new adventure myself but this dry eye business makes me feel so uneasy about it.

I found this whilst I was researching conjunctival hyperemia, it talks about morning eye congestion, http://www.revophth.com/content/d/th.../1205/c/22716/

My eyes are always red in mornings and I'm thinking now that I know I had mgd that maybe it's the toxic oil seeping in to my eye in night, who knows though, it's such a mystery.

Take care

Cath x

QUOTE=DryLondoner;92749]I'm bumping this up.

I am walking up and finding my eyes are redder than ever.
        It shouldn't bother me, but it really really does. Right now I'm using systane ultra at night and a mask. I tried Satan wrap but irratated the skin around my eyes. Any advice?[/QUOTE]
        27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

Comment

I got my new tinted glasses today and now I look like Ray Charles, I don't know what's worse...the constant red eye or the tinted buddy holly glasses...(sigh). Tues I got my last doctors appt....Please Dr. who ever you are, please give me some hope....I can't take this nightmare any longer!!

Comment

I hope they can help, I had my appointment on tues and I've been put on doxycycline for a year and got to do warm compresses twice a day. My eye lids felt raw tonight from eye scrubs and hot compresses and eyes are dry. In other news, I've just been rudely awoken by a fox which had somehow found it's way in to my conservatory! Least it wasn't a burglar 😣
            Originally posted by ggky59 View Post
            I got my new tinted glasses today and now I look like Ray Charles, I don't know what's worse...the constant red eye or the tinted buddy holly glasses...(sigh). Tues I got my last doctors appt....Please Dr. who ever you are, please give me some hope....I can't take this nightmare any longer!!

Comment

Hi,
              I am going through the same thing....battling red eyes for years. I did abuse the use of Visine when I was younger. My doctor warned me several times about overusing vaso constrictors and he was right. I limit myself to one drop in each eye of Naphcon-A in the a.m. If I go out in the evening then I will use the drops again.
              It's a never ending battle. Dryness, redness, discomfort, you name it!
              I did mention in one of my posts that B & L is working on a new ocular drop for redness. Won't be on the market until 2015...sounds hopeful.
              Take care. P.S. Can't wait to see white eye balls again!

Comment

Hey, that new drop for redness sounds promising!

I was stood in boots today staring at the drops and into space I think and got very annoyed that there isn't a big sign warning people about the dangers of using vasoconstrictors!

Cath x
                Last edited by cathy8889; 15-Aug-2014, 21:03.

Comment

Lee, I would STOP the vasoconstrictors all together. It may take a few years, but they will stop being so red. I used visine 1-2 times daily for five years. It's been three years off them and my eyes are no longer red. My lids are as I have MGD, but at least the eyes are white...

It's possible.

Comment

Faith, did your redness fade gradually? I have small veins which fade and then come back. They really upset me. I need to start juicing, I haven't done it dive I moved. Did your eyes get dull? Mine are a bit yellow and look sulk now, I use to have such lovely eyes! Sigh.

Comment

I would stop completely or your eyes will rebound daily. My eyes gradually went whiter over 3.5 years VERY slowly. I still have pain but my eyes are white.. The pain comes from the MGD.

Comment

My eyes too are a bit yellowish tanny looking brown and sulken...I always look like I need a nap or a good nights sleep. I got so worried that I had my doctor to do liver test...which turned out okay. I tell you, this dry eye redness rebound disease is a bit much, eh? Of all the issues heading toward middle age madness that I must contend to, this shouldn't be one of them.

Comment

Faith, I cheated today, I put in a few of that A drops because I can't bare the redness anymore, even though I now have the tint in my glasses. I just can't stand the sight of my face in the early mornings anymore....and the thought of having to wait YEARS frightens the heck out of me, years??????

Comment

Yes, it took me three years to get rid of the rebound. Doctors don't believe me BUT I've read many stories of people overusing visine that took just as long to recover. If the drops were used for years, your eyes aren't going to recover in a week. But the hope is IT IS POSSIBLE. Note: my eyes are still dry but just not red now.

Comment

Did you actually have little red veins? Or patches of redness? My redness fades in the morning, gets worse during the day and then gets really bad at night. I used a vasoconstrictor for about two months. It's been 4 months and no improvment, anything a little bit worse. I also have dryness from LASIK.

Comment

Working...
                              X