Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to DES - What is wrong with me???

Hi,
    I'm from Melbourne, Australia, and got DES three months ago. I am an otherwise fit and healthy 27 year-old guy with good vision, and have never had eye surgery. I really really want to find out what is wrong with me, and how to get better, as this condition has profoundly altered my life. Please let me know if you have any ideas or if my condition sounds familiar to you. My opthamologist doesn't know what to do with me, he says he's never seen anyone like me.

Opening my eyes long enough to do normal activities seems to cause intense stinging, particularly in the left eye. They are dry, not watery. There appears to be inflammation around the eyelid rims. My opthamologist put me on steroid eye drops for a month, but it didn't help. I've started doing eyelid scrubs as well as hot compresses 4 times a day, and quite often I notice a small, white, sticky blob on the compress afterwards - could this be from MGD? I discovered a few days ago that goggles help heaps, and have ordered some Panoptx. Spraying water onto my face, eyes closed, also seems to help a lot, for 5 - 10 mins. I've tried just about every eyedrop at the chemist's, but hate them all! Temporary collagen plugs don't seem to do anything either (lower punctum only).

Please let me know if you can tell me what is wrong with me, and please would somebody tell me that this is curable! I can't imagine what it must be like to go through this for years on end.

Hi Sam1,
    I am very sorry to hear this. How long can you use the computer ? Is your driving affected ? What about driving at night ? Have you had occasionally watery eyes before ? I got DES from nowhere too, about 4 months ago. The only thing that happened was that I moved from a very humid area in AL to a very dry area in WA state. I am about getting my PhD (Spring) and my life is totally changed. What drops do you use and how often ? Reading the forum I realized that in Miami, FL you can find a doctor (Tzeng-MD, PhD) who does research on DES and has published a lot. He has developed some tests and techniques for DES. Another thing is to wear sclerals, which can be fitted in Boston, BFS. Sorry, I can't help you with docs in Australia.

Regards,

George
    Last edited by GeorgeT; 31-Oct-2006, 09:50.

Comment

Do PhDs cause DES???

Hi George,
      Good to hear from a fellow PhD student - could there be a link between PhDs and DES? It must be very frustrating having to work on your thesis with DES hanging over you. What are you studying?
      I finished my PhD last year (cancer biology), and have an overseas job lined up in a few months, so I'm really hoping that my condition improves soon. If it doesn't, I'm planning to move to Singapore or Malaysia for a while, where the air is so moist that it clings to your face all day and all night - heaven!
      For me, driving during the day is actually quite pleasant - the car heats up in the sun and becomes humid. Night is a bit more difficult, and I can only use a computer comfortably when wearing goggles. I've never had watery eyes. I'm getting all four punctum plugged with collagen today, so hopefully that will help.

Best,
      Sam

Comment

Working...
      X