Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"i-lid" by NovaBay - has any one used it? What is the FDA status?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "i-lid" by NovaBay - has any one used it? What is the FDA status?

On another thread a user posted about a new cleaner "i-lid" by NovaBay. Does anyone know if it has been "approved by the FDA" - i just see text on the website that it has been "FDA cleared" - I can't find the words "approved". Has anyone used this yet? Did it work for you? What were your symptoms before (are you a Dry Eye patient, if so do or did you have any of these symptoms: MGD, Bleph, Ocular Rosacea, red eyes, reoccurring pink eye, etc.). I have all of those symptoms so I am really reluctant to try anything not FDA approved.

http://ilidcleanser.com/

notes on FDA - under the video at the website: "All videos prepared, accomplished, or presented by NovaBay have not been reviewed or endorsed by the FDA." On the webpage it just has the text "FDA cleared" what does that mean?
    Eileen

i have used it. i think you may not be able to find the word "approved" because its not a medication, and therefore, does not go through the same approval process. It is more akin to a cosmetic like other eyelid cleansers (or any soap) so its a more limited process, I believe. i think they only verify that its safe and do not verify whether its effective in treating any medical conditions. in terms of the actual cleanser, it is really interesting. It smells and cleans (disinfects) like bleach but it is non-irritating. somehow, the company modified bleach to do this. i use it occasionally when my lids need to be cleaned, but for me, it was not that helpful as I generally adopt a hands off approach to my lids as rubbing them and whatnot makes them worse. I like it a lot better than the other eyelid cleansers out there. to the extent you need your eyelids cleaned, its a good product.

Comment

I have something with hypochlorous acid (not iLid cleanser) and it just smells like chlorine (i.e., a swimming pool). I didn't think much of it either but if you read about a product called Hypocare, you can see all the claims.

Comment

It says it is prescription only, yet not FDA approved? I am not certain how the US system works, but it seems odd that something that requires a prescription would not be approved as being effective. How could a Dr ethically prescribe a drug without evidence that it works?

Comment

I used it too... good product but expensive

Comment

i think it went through the similar process that FreshKote did. they did not seek that kind of approval. its been verified as safe by the FDA so i dont think you can say the doctor is being unethical by him just trying to give his patients as many options as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by grant555 View Post
              its been verified as safe by the FDA so i dont think you can say the doctor is being unethical by him just trying to give his patients as many options as possible.
              I know in the beginning of my dry eye problems, I wanted the Dr to try everything they could and was angry when they turned me away without trying much.

But I now realise there is an element of truth and ethical practise involved in sometimes telling the dry eye patient nothing more can be done. I am no longer willing to "try anything" without careful consideration. There really are so few effective treatments for us. Some Drs are just lazy and disinterested when they refuse to help dry eye patients but I think amongst all that there are some Drs who know from experience the hopelessness of this condition in some patients and that it is better that the patient accepts the problem and tries to move on (hard to do as it is).

I think that sometimes it is actually easier and quicker for the Dr to suggest a non-proven treatment to the patient so the patient feels the Dr is "trying to help" than give the patient the cold hard facts and explain the reasons why the treatment probably won't help.

Comment

well by that logic, doctors shouldnt recommend anything to their patients because nothing has been "proven" to work in all cases of dry eye. its only a cleanser - it works at cleaning your eyelids. no one believes it is a cure all (and i highly doubt doctors are suggesting it is in any way).

and the notion that a doctor should just tell you to give up and move on rather than try new things is ridiculous to me. i would take the later any day.

Comment

Originally posted by grant555 View Post
                  well by that logic, doctors shouldnt recommend anything to their patients because nothing has been "proven" to work in all cases of dry eye. its only a cleanser - it works at cleaning your eyelids. no one believes it is a cure all (and i highly doubt doctors are suggesting it is in any way).
                  By proven, I mean proven to be more effective than a placebo or nothing. Not a cure all or something that works for everyone.

Comment

prevention is better than cure, but not for eyes?

Comment

Working...
                    X